RAN Sea Venom FAW.53

abat

So here is the current state of play - wings and fuselage now all filled, sanded and primed and the scribing touched up. 

2016112021253489-IMG_0111-L.jpg

The cockpit is now permanently fitted and ready to receive the canopy which is shown below. I've decided to model the canopy closed. Dry-fitting shows some more filling and sanding will be required which is par-for-the-course with this build. 

2016112021253489-IMG_0112-L.jpg

Also so shown is the first of the wing fences made from plastic card. Not the easiest thing to cut and shape and I certainly don't look forward to copying its partner on the other wing. Looking at the photo I can now see I scribed the wing panel lines incorrectly where the wing fold is. Oh dear, pass the putty, sandpaper and scribing tool.

• Like 6

Smart, sharp and shapely. You're bring this along a treat there abat. 

3 hours ago, abat said:

panel lines incorrectly where the wing fold is.

Best way to hide that is to fold the wing I'd say...:whistle: :lol:

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Smart, sharp and shapely. You're bring this along a treat there abat. 

Best way to hide that is to fold the wing I'd say...:whistle: :lol:

Steady on there Sir, I'm still recovering from folding a Gannet's wing 3 years ago. 

6 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Nice clean work!

Martian

Thank you Martian, nice thing about re-scribing is you can sand away to you hearts content knowing you're not losing any panel line detail. I'd say the plastic is close to scale thickness in some parts now.

2 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Nice clean work! The old bird is shaping up nicely. It really is quite amazing what can be done with these old kits with a little TLC.

Cheers,

Bill

So true Bill, it might not be super detailed, but it's certainly looking like a Sea Venom should (cue to the improvised howl of a ghost engine and several circuits of the modelling table).

• Like 2

Latest update and likely the last post for this build for a while as I'm committed to the Wessex STGB and need to focus my modelling time there. 

I've filled and re-scribed the wing fold line, despite the Baron tempting me with an actual fold, fitted the wing fences (lots of super glue and putty to get them flush) and also added a few bumps along the wing fold and under the tail. Although the end seems close, I still estimate a few weeks work at my slow, old pace so I'll stow this one in the hanger for a while while I swap over to rotary wings. 

2016112412133270-IMG_0116-L.jpg

Stay tuned, Andrew

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

So how many hours does it take to mask a vacform Sea Venom canopy? A virtual prize for the closest guess. Now to fettle, glue, fill and sand it onto the fuselage.

2017010415002255-FullSizeRender-L.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I glued it to the fuselage carefully with superglue, mostly around the wider edges and hoping that I don't get any fogging under the tape. Time will tell. Then it was several rounds of a Tamiya putty and sanding with an undercoat of rubber black, that being the cockpit interior colour, to check progress. 

2017011417122241-IMG_0330-L.jpg

I now now need to fit the fins in the intakes and then onto some EDSG and sky. 

• Like 3

So here's the sky - Lifecolor UA95.  Intake vanes fitted and basic undercarriage (not shown) constructed and painted as well. I an few days I'll mask up for the EDSG. At the moment I'm likely to use 209/M which is included in the Eastern Express boxing. 

2017012117491552-IMG_0373-L.jpg

• Like 2

And now some EDSG (Lifecolor again lightened a touch with some white). The masking of the curves at the nose and tail were interesting. I cut a template from Tamiya tape then popped it on. Once this has had a few days to settle down I'll

touch it up, paint the tip tanks blue and give it a gloss coat prior to decals. The black radome and anti-icing strips will be painted very last. 

2017012717044567-IMG_0386-L.jpg

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

Been struggling with this one but now in sight of the finish line. I had a bad experience using Humbrol clear as a gloss coat prior to decals - it didn't brush on well and dried in pools rather than an even coat requiring a lot of work with micromesh to restore a decent surface. It was like it was incompatible with the underlying paint - Lifecolor acrylics. Much of the EDSG was re-painted by hand with a wide brush to cover the damage as I couldn't face masking up again.

The decals, although very old and a bit off-colour, went on pretty well with Microsol and Mr Mark Softer. I pinched some from other kits to supplement the meagre originals. There's still a few bibs and bobs to add before I give it a top coat of semi-gloss and lastly attach the wheels and hook, which are scavenged from another kit. The tip tanks were again painted by hand. I used my RAN helicopter blue for the tanks which may be a bit dark.

Can anyone provide advice on the colours for the rockets and rails. I can't find any colour photos of RAN venoms with rockets fitted, although I assume they were carried during exercises. 

2017021815204944-IMG_0442-L.jpg

• Like 3

On ‎20‎.‎11‎.‎2016 at 11:54, abat said:

So here is the current state of play - wings and fuselage now all filled, sanded and primed and the scribing touched up. 

2016112021253489-IMG_0111-L.jpg

The cockpit is now permanently fitted and ready to receive the canopy which is shown below. I've decided to model the canopy closed. Dry-fitting shows some more filling and sanding will be required which is par-for-the-course with this build. 

2016112021253489-IMG_0112-L.jpg

Also so shown is the first of the wing fences made from plastic card. Not the easiest thing to cut and shape and I certainly don't look forward to copying its partner on the other wing. Looking at the photo I can now see I scribed the wing panel lines incorrectly where the wing fold is. Oh dear, pass the putty, sandpaper and scribing tool.

W O W !!!!

you make it look so easy to get a great result out of an old kit !!!

Im following your Progress with interest!

Thanks for sharing, Olli

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ROBOT said:

W O W !!!!

you make it look so easy to get a great result out of an old kit !!!

Im following your Progress with interest!

Thanks for sharing, Olli

Thank you Robot, not sure that I'd say it was easy, but rewarding to be near the end. Cheers, Andrew

11 hours ago, NAVY870 said:

Rocket rails are sky, same as the aircrafts underside.

Thanks Steve, bronze green for the rp3 rockets I presume, in line with British armaments?