1/72nd scale Concorde

I finished this quite a number of years ago now (in fact not long after it was issued by Airfix) but don't think I ever got around to posting pictures - with a couple of builds going on the WIP forum they inspired me to get the old girl out and take a few shots.

This kit gets a really bad press, but with some careful planning and thought it actually goes together fairly well - far better than the reviewers will have you believe ;)

The only tip I would give is to join the fuselage in complete lengths first, (i.e. add the nose and tail sections to the centre section of each side before gluing the fuselage halves together) as this will drastically reduce the step and amount of filling between the nose/tail and centre section, as the latter has a slightly smaller diameter.

I used Halfords' White Primer with Appliance White over the top, and after decalling I gave it a few coats of Halfrods' Lacquer. Decals were as originally supplied in the box.

30477443531_b71a884deb_c.jpg

30266297270_cb54a2c442_c.jpg

30565301705_e6681019be_c.jpg

29931736363_96310b693e_c.jpg

30565306545_6cf61222ab_c.jpg

29934121134_805606609c_c.jpg

30565304225_a08a56f0fe_c.jpg

I'd say if you've got one in the stash get it out and build it - it'll provide hours of fun :)

All the best,

Tom

Edited by tomprobert
  • Like 47

1 hour ago, tomprobert said:

This kit gets a really bad press, but with some careful planning and thought it actually goes together fairly well - far better than the reviewers will have you believe ;)

I'd say if you've got one in the stash get it out and build it - it'll provide hours of fun :)

What a beautiful model.   :wow:I hope mine turns out something like that. I'm opting for the same scheme, it looks fabulous.

I agree with the comments about buildability, it's no shake'n'bake and it is a challenge, but it is doable so far (might eat own words later on :D). I'm enjoying the build though I'm currently sanding the tail step and the many little gaps that need a bit of attention. It's a big beast which takes time aplenty but its coming together nicely. I'm so covered in filler dust that I've just had to step outside and shake off!

Tom, how did you get on with mounting the engines? I gather there's a little step from the wing upper surface to the top of the engines on the kit whereas it's flush on the real thing.

That looks lovely. I inherited a half built one that needs to be 'de-constructed' because there are some very iffy steps where the wing joins the fuselage and where the nacelles join the wings and I think it needs to be 'zeroed' so that I can re-assemble it properly. One thing though, the big 'canoe' on the upper fuselage - is it really that  big? And what's it for anyway?

Cheers

Simon

On 25/10/2016 at 10:53 PM, HP42 said:

Tom, how did you get on with mounting the engines? I gather there's a little step from the wing upper surface to the top of the engines on the kit whereas it's flush on the real thing.

Many thanks for the kind words everyone. 

I do recall doing some trimming around the engines, but it was so long ago I can't remember exactly what I did. Most likely I shaved some plastic from the lower wing surface as well as the upper rear of the nacelle - that sounds like the most logical course of action!

And in regard to the "canoe" on the fuselage top - I'm afraid I have no idea what it does, and whether it's the correct size and shape or not, your guess is as good as mine. 

Edited by tomprobert
  • Like 1

Superb build Tom :goodjob: we could do with a new tool Concorde in 1/72  I would get one for sure but I doubt we will !

Guy