Royal Navy Roundel Question

Blueskippy

Hi all,

I have a question concerning a project I am working on.

I plan to build the Tamiya 1/32 F4U-1A Corsair as a Royal Navy craft, and have been collecting items for a while. I have decided to paint as many markings as possible and to this end have purchased the "MonteX" super mask set # K32333. the masks and paint guide show standard (I believe) far east markings of a blue and white tail flash, and blue and white roundels on the fuselage. But the wing roundels are as follows:

Outer ring of Blue then a red ring, and finally an inner spot of white. Is this correct? as I dont think I have ever noticed this arrangement before.

Any help would gratefully received.

Ian

Edited by Blueskippy

Can't find any photos of, or references to, FAA roundels with red. There are descriptions of roundels that ended up with two shades of blue due to the red area being overpainted. A quick Google search netted this Britmodeller link:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234972594-faa-corsair-iv-eif-markings/

I'm not familiar with this exact case (serial/code?), but  If we are talking about the Indian Ocean Fleet rather than the British Pacific Fleet, then what it probably was, was a small white/blue roundel in the centre of an overpainted larger original.

Fundekals  have the same aircraft flown by Durno (Victorious 1834: JT383/7D) on their sheet. There are also photos on their website of this aircraft taken from contemporary film. http://www.fundekals.com/corsair_RN.html. Notice the chalk writing above/across the roundel. The roundel colours have been discussed before on this board, I believe, when the Fundekals sheet first came out. Red was prohibited on FAA aircraft in the Indian and Pacific Oceans, so they definitely would be blue/white, not blue/red/white, as Graham says.

Do Montex provide the masks for the repeat code on the wheel covers?

Edited by iang

Thanks for your help guys, seems the way to go may be to paint as instructed then overpaint the red area with the blue, - though that could make a purple/maybe. Best I practice with the spares I think.

As for the repeat codes, I am not sure but think not, I will check when I get home.

Thanks again

Ian