German railway gun 80cm K(E) “DORA” – 1/35 by Soar Art Workshop

Hello @ all.

finally, the new decals are finished and printed... and the first ones applied on the parts. The decals are much thinner then the ones used before. Here are some first pictures with the decals, still wet :)

I think it was worth doing the additional works... let's see how it would look like, once all decals are applied and fixed.

wour92bo.jpg

ebg2kakt.jpg

4hx5d28s.jpg

3nt8tcdg.jpg

8wjb25dw.jpg

Next step is one more layer of "Future" to homologate the decals with the rest of the surface, then a layer of matt clear coat as base for the weathering.

Cheeers,
Michael

• Like 3

Hello @ all.

Dora received her decals now... not perfect, but much better then before although some are still a bit visible as decals. But after some weathering it will be ok I think! 

After the decals are added and a matt clear coat sprayed over it I have added some light grey dry brushing on the wagons, the bridge and the main gun itself ... 

So here it is - as it looks like now ...

tfe9qsrj.jpg

e23ibuug.jpg

cyl9gaqs.jpg

3ljjpsuw.jpg

xwsjw77r.jpg

pqwyojxj.jpg

n3umjam3.jpg

xoritbn3.jpg

2cmw2u5v.jpg

I think I will not add much more weathering to it .... I am thinking about some beige dust on the horizontal areas, some rust streaks ... but I am not shure. Maybe I want to keep it as it looks like now? What do you think?

Cheers
Michael

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

the elevators for the munition are also finished now. First I have modified the crane hooks with some wheels inside and a hook made of wire.
On the top of the elevators I have added also two wheels under the winch/engine and glued in place. Some wire cable was glued inside the hooks, then the hooks were hooked in the elevators and the cables spanned to the upper wheels and glued in place inside the winch.
Now follows the painting of the elevators...

4hy9wisc.jpg

gg8agyea.jpg

ofjhmoz8.jpg

kel32cif.jpg

Now I wish you all a MERRY CHRISTMAS! 

Cheers
Micha

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

a Happy New Year to all of you! :)

Some first test with the figures .... lot of figures ... Trumpeter, MiniArt, ....

sj7lv9sz.jpg

jxbbgnam.jpg

kihkmdw5.jpg

k66j6juz.jpg

e7ob4qw3.jpg

gxzib48e.jpg

2h23q7kp.jpg

And here they are .. 

8gtj4wdl.jpg

And some comparing of the size of the Dora with the UHU glue bottle .... it is really huge :)

evaf33dp.jpg

wacqgetq.jpg

Then a walkway under the gun barrel was made new with some brass tube and mesh... then painted and glued. Looks much bettter then the plastic part I think ....

tvy5ereh.jpg

8ly6nugf.jpg

s89hfvv3.jpg

Now some painted figures... not finished yet.... not glued in place yet .... 

5j43th39.jpg

t259yu7g.jpg

whikj2d8.jpg

osd66yu9.jpg

v8w4sqwu.jpg

xcn3534a.jpg

pzcfgf5w.jpg

3uz32dr9.jpg

zndha6kd.jpg

2stu3vwz.jpg

x58mi9dg.jpg

2k2as3wf.jpg

xjkkxj3f.jpg

The guys need some further painting, weathering as well as the food, the ammunition and the other small stuff ...

Cheers
Micha

Edited by elmarriachi
  • Like 3

This is a beast of a kit and at one point I considered buying it but, I wound up buying the 1/72 Hobby Boss kit instead. I will be following your build and, who knows maybe I'll dig out my kit and build it. Like others, it's the size of the completed kit that has stopped me from actually building it. Between the Pocher kits and the size of my display case I just don't know where to put it when done. So, for now, I'll just have to live vicariously through you and your build. This is really looking great and I like the weathering and shading that you've done so far.

On 12/12/2016 at 9:53 PM, elmarriachi said:

I think I will not add much more weathering to it .... I am thinking about some beige dust on the horizontal areas, some rust streaks

No need to weather it more. I read somewhere it wasn't around long enough to develop rust. Dirt on the trucks sure, but not on the frame/gun itself (apparently)

Loving this build though! I so wish I had to room to display such a monster of a kit