Avia B-534

Mitch K

I'm in with my 1/72 scale Avia B-534. All it needs is the upper wing fitting and the rigging lines pulling into place. Getting the upper wing on killed my will to live, never mind my mojo, but I will return and wreak my revenge!!!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mitch,

are you talking the fairly recent Eduard kit? Or the old KP (if I am not mistaken)?

If all else fails, there is always the option of the 20 lbs hammer, held in a manly grip.

I just found my old, trusty one. PM me your address and I'll post it!

I like the B-534. Sexy thing it is!

JR

• Like 3

2 hours ago, jean said:

Hi Mitch,

are you talking the fairly recent Eduard kit? Or the old KP (if I am not mistaken)?

If all else fails, there is always the option of the 20 lbs hammer, held in a manly grip.

I just found my old, trusty one. PM me your address and I'll post it!

I like the B-534. Sexy thing it is!

JR

It's the Eduard example. And I have a box full of hammers. It's just a case of picking the right one...:lol::mg:

1 hour ago, Darby said:

It can be done. The mating points for the fuselage cabanes aren't the same distance apart with the suggested fuselage dimples where they attach.

NASA put a man on the moon: it took six years, countless dollars and blind faith to do it...:wall:

Hi Mitch,

dare I say I am surprised, as the Eduard B-534 is hailed as one of their best 1/72 kit, if not the best...

Nobody has ever mentioned this problem, hence the question: are you and I the only two sane people on this decaying planet?

JR

• 1 month later...

First, the good news. After only one complete night of work, I've got the upper wing on! I've got to pull the wires into place and make good around these, but that's merely tedious, not difficult, so construction is about there.

31770591785_cd2296fa93_k_d.jpg

And now the bad news: at some point I've totally gronked one of the underwing roundels. How is anyone's guess, and sadly I don't think any of my selection of spare Czechoslovak roundels (I do actually have a selection!) is the right size. I might be able to get a pair that are near enough and replace both.

30929272634_e3a6f70a8e_k_d.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I found a set of roundels on a sheet from a MisterCraft kit. These are fractionally smaller but not far enough to be noticeable. I scrubbed off the previous roundels with a small wire brush - a surprisingly useful tool for this. After a touch up of the paint and some gloss, the new roundels went on, and this is the result.

31207885084_8075bc6203_k_d.jpg

They need a touch of matt to match it in, but basically I've just got to pull the wires and tidy up from that, then this is done.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

And done! The brass/copper radiator is mixed from assorted Vallejo acrylics. Pulling the wires was a little bit tricky, especially around the cabanes where there is essentially no access even for my finest forceps. I tidied up the wire ends ad I'd say she's good to go. This was not the easiest build I've done (hence it ended up here) but I'm tempted to another one, as I do love these late biplanes! I deliberately steered far away from dirt, grot or weathering of any sort. As a peacetime front-line fighter belonging to highly proficient and extremely professional airforce, the Avia would have been a flagship, and so I suspect that very little in the way of NCO drive would have been needed to keep them in pristine, parade condition.

32309695875_da52b06e1d_k_d.jpg

32159979542_7ab4b37ea5_k_d.jpg

• Like 6

On 23/01/2017 at 0:17 AM, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Nice build.....Just found one of these while reorganising my stash, no idea where I got it from, or why.  :mental:

Because it's a lovely aeroplane and you are impulsive? :thumbsup:

That's a great result Mitch very lovely indeed. The wire brush trick is timely as I'm faced with a similar issue on a SoS resident myself.

• Like 3

Mitch,

this Avia looks stunning! Kudos for such a result.

Now, I am impressed beyond word, that anyone would have a "selection" of Czekoslovak roundels!!!!

Congrats

JR

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jean said:

Mitch,

this Avia looks stunning! Kudos for such a result.

Now, I am impressed beyond word, that anyone would have a "selection" of Czekoslovak roundels!!!!

Congrats

JR

You never know when they will come in handy!:rofl:

• Like 2