RAF Hercules Dio

tc2324

6 hours ago, Ascoteer said:

The Tankers were a bit of a lash up really. Initially they had 2x internal tanks in the freight bay (the tanks being originally Andover long range fuselage tanks) with the aircraft being designated CMk1LR2. Later they were fitted with 4 Andover tanks and were designated CMk1LR4. When the probes were finally fitted they became CMk1PLR2 and CMk1PLR4.

By my time on Albert all the Tankers had the 4 tank set up and were designated CMk1K.

The way the system worked was that we gave away fuel via the HDU which was directly connected to the Refuel/Fuel Dump Crossfeed gallery. In essence we gave away our own fuel and replaced it from the fuselage tanks.

While the Nav operated the AAR control panel, the Eng controlled the feeds to the Crossfeed gallery, and the Loadie operated fuel pumps that transferred fuel from the fuselage tanks up into the Aux tanks. It was all a bit 'Heath Robinson' and relied on quite a bit of Teamwork!

Memory fades but IIRC we (generally) operated in the Falklands at 34,000lbs on tanker sorties plus the fuselage fuel 28,000lbs. During the original Airbridge to the Falklands they were operating at 62,900lbs plus 28,000lbs.

This is what the fuselage tank set up looked like.

Looking aft:

Looking fwd:

A great set of photos Debs, thanks for sharing them.

It's the first time I've seen that set up, mind you looking at the size of the fuel tanks, that fire extinguisher looks very "useful".

• Like 3

By my time on 1312 Flt the Tanks were life expired but we had nothing to replace. You just didn't smoke on tanker sorties!

To be fair, carrying LOX (Liquid Oxygen) to Belize for the Harrier Det was far scarier.

AFAIK the C-130J was supposed to have a Ro-Ro tanker fit usind wing mounted HDUs a la KC-130H and palletised fuel tanks. However the money earmarked for the buy was spent on something else (the Iraqi war I presume) so the RAF lost its C-130 tanker capability; which is why there is a Voyager at MPA and a flat floor Albert.

• Like 5

Thanks Debs for the info and sorry for the thread drift.

Guy

• Like 1

Thanks guys. 

So this mornings work was all about drilling the hole in the underside, finding the CoG and trimming the length of the acrylic rod so that I maintain some elevation while making sure it`s strong enough to hold this rather large and surprisingly heavy kit aloft.

IMG_6088_zpsx6bfqey7.jpg

IMG_6092_zpsizpzasjq.jpg

The kits decals have been a nightmare and I`ll be looking to replace them providing I can find some. Obviously the panel lines have not helped either.

The wings are still dry fitted and they will be my next task.

• Like 9

looks like a C-130 to me , good work so far.

Guy

• Like 1

On 05/11/2016 at 1:30 PM, Ascoteer said:

It's Abingdon.

It's definitely not Lyneham.

Lyneham's main hangars were the J Type, those in the photo' are A Type.

yes it's Abingdon been there a few times.

Guy

• Like 1

When you attach the ramp don't forget to add the ADS arms.

The ramp is opened by the 2 hydraulic jacks that attach to the 'elephant ears' either side of the ramp. Obviously the ramp can extend past the horizontal for the loading of wheeled freight on the ground, however having the ramp extend past the horizontal in flight is a bad idea  (not least because of the drag).

To this end there are 2 arms that are attached to the fuselage and connected to the ramp via a pair of large 'pip pins' when in flight. These are the ADS arms (Air Delivery System).

This shows what I mean:

A is the ADS arm.

B is the Door jack.

ADS_zps5ugfuzuu.jpg

• Like 5

A singularly fine view of the bog there Debs

And the massive modesty screen

Thanks for the reminder

:whistle:

Where's me coat?

Edited by perdu
  • Like 3

35 minutes ago, 71chally said:

Interesting, so those arms are only fitted in the air delivery role?

The aircraft I've just done the walkaround has these fitted.

BTW did you get the pics ok Debs?

The ADS arms are always fitted, they just get disconnected on the ground to allow the ramp past the flat floor position. This applies to both the K and the J 

• Like 2

I got the photo's thanks. :)

You might leave the ADS arms connected on the ground if you were in, say, 'roller conveyor and side guidance rails' fit - in this case to load the aircraft you'd essentially open the ramp to the horizontal, drive a Condec up to it (a sort of flat bed veicle with a built in roller conveyor on its deck) and merely slide the palletised load off the Condec and into Albert.

Edit: What milli21 says is true but, as I stated above, the ADS arms are attached to the fuselage. They attach to the ramp via a removeable pin. Thus they are permanently attached to the aircraft but they are not always connected to the ramp.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Well it`s been an interesting 10 days or so being laid up in bed with flu, (not that whoosey man flu stuff, the 100% real McCoy version), which has been followed in turn with a trip to hospital and a chest infection diagnosed. I`m now on a heavy dose of anti-biotics which seem to be doing the trick. 

Anyways, feeling better today I managed to take a few shots of the Herc and it`s now time to start looking at building the Medium Stressed Platform rig.

IMG_6102_zpsp3weimjy.jpg

IMG_6101_zpsn18dsvji.jpg

IMG_6096_zpsgnne5zyt.jpg

• Like 11

Very nice TC. Looks ace with the Ramp down ready to drop the 'Rover. Hope you recover quickly.

BTW top marks for the C of G position on the stand!

• Like 1

On 23/10/2016 at 8:27 PM, neil5208 said:

Nice idea but the Land Rover you have is a Snatch mk2, which is too tall and to heavy to be air dropped from a Herc once on the correct air delivery pallet. The only ones that were dropped would have been ether the early 1/2 tonnes or the pathfinders cut down Defenders. Standard Defenders tended not to survive being air drop even when on the air delivery pallets.

Creeping off topic, am I right in thinking that at one time the Soviets experimented with dropping the BMD with the crew in board? It's sometimes said that the Russians are characterised by their madcap behaviour and general lack of common sense where safety is concerned but even they had to stop doing it as the crew would always die.

Fantastic Herc by the way, and done in proper colours. Great effort.

Edited by goggsy
  • Like 2

Looks really great,.......don`t forget to add the under wing tanksm refuelling probe and the serial decals,........ you`ve got the look of the old bird really well,...and get well soon mate,

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 1