Best way to remove Tamiya Fine Surface primer?

Anthony Kesterton

Hi

I am trying to paint my first 1/48 white metal figures, and after cleaning up the mold lines, I sprayed them with Tamiya White Primer (the Tamiya Fine White Surface Primer to be exact).  Made the classic error - sprayed too much primer so the primer is welling up in areas.  I really must remember and practice "light coat only, light coat only"!

Not dry yet, so hoping it will pull back a bit.  If not, I may need to strip it back to the metal again.  Any suggestions on what to use to remove the primer?

thanks

anthony

As the figures are metal, I'd suggest dunking them in Nitromors or similar overnight before washing them off thoroughly with running water and re-priming. Remember to wear gloves and follow the safety instructions though, it's nasty stuff.

15 hours ago, bull-nut said:

As the figures are metal, I'd suggest dunking them in Nitromors or similar overnight before washing them off thoroughly with running water and re-priming. Remember to wear gloves and follow the safety instructions though, it's nasty stuff.

Many thanks for the advice (and warning).  I may have got away with this - the primer seemed to pull back a bit as it dried.

anthony

That's the trouble with rattle cans their either on or off when spraying.

Tamiya primer should tighten up quite a lot as it drys just give it a lot longer to dry, if it has covered some of the detail you could try a dunk in cellulose thinner and a old tooth brush to remove.

Again were gloves and do it in a well ventilated area

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/10/2016 at 4:39 PM, colin said:

That's the trouble with rattle cans there either on or off when spraying.

Tamiya primer should tighten up quite a lot as it drys just give it a lot longer to dry, if it has covered some of the detail you could try a dunk in cellulose thinner and a old tooth brush to remove.

Again were gloves and do it in a well ventilated area

Thanks Colin - missed this reply and only just saw your suggestion.  I hope to get some paint on the figure this weekend, in which case I will decide if the primer was ok or not.

anthony

• 6 months later...

Just to complete this thread - I tried Fairy Power spray with limited success - it did lift some of the Tamiya primer, and some of the Vallejo paint but not much.  This morning, I had a think about this and tried airbrush reamer (metal - lumpy paint).  This worked a treat - lifting off the paint and primer immediately, and a quick scrub with a toothbrush and all remaining paint gone. 

The cleaner was Premi Air Liquid Reamer, which is solvent-based and has Xylene (so be careful, use it in a well ventilated area).

Now to re-prime (very lightly!) and start again.

anthony

• 4 months later...

Ive just taken some Tamiya White fine surface primer off a resin figure kit. I used a new to me product from Vantage Modelling Solutions its called Clean Slate rmvr 2.0. (Its available on ebay and while not cheap works just grand.)

Basically all I had to do was pour some in a shallow dish and just cover the figure. (Use one just large enough for the figure to cut waste.) I let it stand for a few minutes then used an old brush to just work off anything that was still on the figure - removed 99.9% with minimal fuss and no damage to the resin.

I used around 10%? of the 200ml bottle so fairly frugal, plus its not something you use every day.

Its got my vote. :yes: