Eagles of the USAAF

06/24

Hi folks,

Hope the group build mods don't mind, but I'm going to keep all my builds in this thread, since my plan is to build three, possibly four aircraft of the 334 Fighter Squadron, Debden, the successor unit to the RAF eagle squadrons.

photos to follow...

• Like 2

Nothing remarkable to say about construction, this is a nice easy build.

29971373733_617652d6c3_c.jpgUntitled by jongwinnett, on Flickr

If you look closely you can see the area around the rear wheel well is slightly short-shot - repaired with a segment of the unused "closed" rear wheel bay doors

29973306714_f2b2e8e40f_c.jpgUntitled by jongwinnett, on Flickr

Apart from sticky out bits, its finished and ready for paint. Not sure what I shall use yet, I've heard good things about Halfords silver so might try that first, once the 'pit is masked

30605201695_cfb6299553_c.jpgUntitled by jongwinnett, on Flickr

I bought whitemetal replacement main gear legs, but one broke while cleaning up and (unusually) the kit parts were perfectly usable on this example.

Must not forget the joystick, must not forget the joystick, must not forget the joystick...

• Like 3

Merci Patrice,

#2 has progressed a bit. I've added some battery cables behind the seat.

29989688743_2db5890239_c.jpgNo.2 cockpit details by jongwinnett, on Flickr

The 'pit walls have come out darker than i would have liked, and I'll try a pale drybrush to highlight them. I've tried to simulate the scuffed plywood of the floor as well.

Thanks gents, I'm afraid the quick progress stalled a little today, as the aluminium paint is suffering from the dreaded orange peel, and so today has been largely spent trying to polish it out, with only limited success...

Help!

calling on the collective wisdom of Britmodeller, is there any cure for slightly yellowed, aged transfers? I've acquired an old Hasegawa boxing which includes markings for Blondie which, disappointingly, wasn't on the Kits Wolrd sheet. However, the box is dated 1993 and so the transfers are a little bit old. Now I can spray them with fresh varnish to try and ensure they don't fall apart, but is there any way to make them less yellow?

(incidentally the Hasegawa sheet includes the red nose, which might be useful to make a mask for the others...)

No, you are correct. Put them in direct sunlight or under a UV lamp. The stronger the UV light the quicker the yellowing will disappear.

I have a UV light for doing mine. Very yellow decals can take days or weeks. Slightly yellow ones take just a couple of days.

Coat them with Liquid Decal Film afterwards.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Very, very late to this one Jon, huge apologies...

Internals look good, silver looks, er, very silver (I'm sure you'll sort it).

Good luck with the transfers!

:popcorn:

• Like 1

Another late comer to this build. I was going to join in with the same decal sheet, but luck would have it, I can not find them.  I think I know where they ended up now! You're my main suspect Jon! Lol :P

That's a very silvery bird you got there, looking forward to seeing how you tackle the red nose. :)

Kind Regards,

Dazz

• Like 1