The EDSG Files # 2: Fairey Barracuda 1/72

16 hours ago, TheBaron said:

2B46656F00000578-3194754-Take_off_Mauree

I do love these photos that show off different angles, looking at the rear it shows the majestic and graceful lines of the old bird and the wonderfulness of those protuberances, "sigh" such a beautiful sight.....and Maureen looks quite dashing as well. Although since @Ex-FAAWAFU mentioned about that tube that sticks out the top of the wing I haven't been able to unsee it!

• Like 5

This is the word of the LAW

Never trust any matt varnish made by Humbrol

Never ever, never

If you wish to matt varnish, a wise move I attest, use only Tamiya  in lightly misted coats

Preferably on days with low humidity and some atmospheric warmth

Tamiya TS-80 flat clear

If you permit I will hie me to my PC and append photographic of Humbrol horrors which afflicted two of my helicopter builds

Not, I warn you pretty sights

Mo the mighty and almost miraculous looks fab doesn't she, I can almost get a fantasy going here

Mo and the fragrant Honeysuckle...

Where they sup, there sups I too

:)

OK, I told you its only a fantasy, milliput is not THAT miraculous...

Edited by perdu
  • Like 6

4 hours ago, TheBaron said:

I once trod on Dave Gilmour's foot in a London club. Such was the inebriated circle in which I was travelling toward the bar...

Bu99er it. I've just had to clean my laptop screen again after that, you swine Sir...!!

Right, now I've just about stopped choking on the chunk of Snickers bar I was chomping when I read it....

Mo looks fantastic!

As to a couple of your q's...

Colour of her trews? I know it's a dull thing to say from looking at a b&w photo, but they look darker than RAF blue-grey. Don't forget Mo was ATA, not a WAAF. I'd be tempted by Navy blue or even black?

Humbrol Matt Cote - if you mean the one in the square bottle and you're going to airbrush it? Well, it was for years my matt varnish of choice. You have to make sure it's strirred properly, thin it down well, & as PC said, just use light coats. I never had problems with it frosting but if you do go a little heavy with it, it does dry more satin than matt - & takes seemingly for ever to dry. Only reason I no longer favour it is I now really like the Alclad klear coats.

HTH

K & himself :dinosaur:

• Like 3

More on the uniforms Tony. Just found a PDF on ATA uniforms (isn't the internet amazing?! :lol:)

Quote;

"The RAF style field service cap (side cap) was issued to all female ATA members as formal dress. Whilst the design was identical to that used by the RAF the colour was a deep ultra-dark blue, almost black, similar to that used in civil defence uniforms. A peaked ski-cap design in the ultra-dark blue was also permissible for female ATA personnel although they were not permitted for use in ceremonial occasions. Initially both types of cap carried a gold metal badge of the ATAs insignia, a oval containing the letters ATA with a taller T surrounded by a wreath with an eagle mounted on top, in the same positions as worn by the RAF. These metal badges were later replaced by fabric badges of woven wire, which were worn in the same place. The female ATA tunic is identical to that used by WAAF officers, except it is in the ultra-dark blue and fastens on the female side1 instead of the male side (WAAF fastened on the male side). It is single breasted with lapels, four buttons and a fabric belt that buckles between the bottom two buttons whilst it has flapped pockets on the breast and lapels. The buttons were always black and often featured the ATA initials underneath a coronet (there were two versions of these types of buttons with a different number of ridges behind) though there is evidence to suggest that, sometimes, plain buttons were used. The buckle on the belt was brass. Ultra-dark blue versions of WAAF officer skirts were supplied which were to be worn with black stockings and flat black shoes. Trousers were also supplied, though were to be used ‘on base only’, and were identical to the design of WAAF officer trousers but in the ATA colour. Again they were to be worn with black socks/stockings and black shoes. Greatcoats were supplied, again in the ultra-dark blue, to the WAAF officer pattern but like the ATA service dress fastened on the female side. Thus they were double breasted with five rows of black buttons and belted with a fabric belt, which belted through a brass buckle. Raincoats to the WAAF officer pattern were also provided in the ultra-dark blue colour. However no documentary evidence has been found to suggest that they didn’t break the ATA trend of buckling on the female side."

Are you bored yet?!

Full PDF here;

http://www.wadhamsfamilyhistory.co.uk/ATAuniform2.pdf

K

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Procopius said:

I had no idea! Weirrrrd. I imagine seventy years of spin cycles might affect the colour.

I guess they would! But I used to know a few WW2 re-enactors & their Holy Grail was to find original surplus uniforms that had never been issued - mind you, that was probably easier at the time, 40 years ago...!!

Keith

• Like 1

Just now, keefr22 said:

I guess they would! But I used to know a few WW2 re-enactors & their Holy Grail was to find original surplus uniforms that had never been issued - mind you, that was probably easier at the time, 40 years ago...!!

Live and learn. The big ones here are (American) Civil War reenactors. I sincerely hope they're not wearing 160-year-old BVDs. 

I actually considered becoming an ACW reenactor at one point, mainly for the uniform, but I had no desire to dress as a buck private and be yelled at by an overweight sextagenarian dentist bursting out of a lieutenant's garb for wearing modern prescription lenses.

• Like 4

Maureen looks amazing Tony - great job Sir :)

I use Windsor & Newton Galleria varnishes now after seeing them praised here on BM. The matt is nicely matt and sprays really well thinned 50/50 with (condenser) water.

Oh, and it's reasonably cheap too.

In other news I've ordered a nail art brush kit from Amazon - 20 pieces for less than £4. I have no idea what the 'dotting' tools are for but I may use them for, er, dotting. Thanks for the tip!

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, CedB said:

In other news I've ordered a nail art brush kit from Amazon - 20 pieces for less than £4. I have no idea what the 'dotting' tools are for but I may use them for, er, dotting.

We aren't expecting you to dress up as Maureen Ced!

Martian

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

Oh... er... oops. I'll bin the selfies then. Bit embarrassing :blush: 

• Like 7

1 minute ago, CedB said:

Best do that; the mods will only delete them if you post them here!

Martian

• Like 3

6 hours ago, moaning dolphin said:

that tube that sticks out the top of the wing I haven't been able to unsee it!

Reminds me that I need to add those to the snag list Bob, especially on the fold side. Cheers. :thumbsup2:

5 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

The Humbrol Matt is prone to frosting, I have read.

3 hours ago, perdu said:

This is the word of the LAW

Never trust any matt varnish made by Humbrol

Adrian, Bill, Keith. Thanks for the timely warnings chaps. This has stiffened my resolve to leave the varnish-genie in that particular bottle for good. My reason for asking in the first place was the increasing disquiet I felt about some of the experiences people had had. I've been glaring at the bottle for several days now...

2 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Tony, just found this;

Super pictures Keithski.  That .pdf has my bedtime reading sorted now. Many thanks sir. BTW: never reply to your wife's summons to the evening meal that you are 'just downloading a link to women in uniform' that someone has sent you...

1 hour ago, Procopius said:

I think the latter two are modern re-enactors.

On first reading I thought you meant Keith and Martian and my curiosity was piqued!

I had no idea! Weirrrrd. I imagine seventy years of spin cycles might affect the colour.

It's a British thing...we got hooked on woad early on...

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

their Holy Grail was to find original surplus uniforms that had never been issued

Begs the question at what point a re-enactor turns into a fetishist!:lol:

I had no desire to dress as a buck private and be yelled at by an overweight sextagenarian dentist bursting out of a lieutenant's garb for wearing modern prescription lenses.

The regular army not for you then? Not surprised: I had ye pegged as Intelligence material all this time.:winkgrin:

1 hour ago, CedB said:

Maureen looks amazing Tony - great job Sir :)

I use Windsor & Newton Galleria varnishes now after seeing them praised here on BM. The matt is nicely matt and sprays really well thinned 50/50 with (condenser) water.

Oh, and it's reasonably cheap too.

Grazie for that excellent tip Ced.:thumbsup2:  Like yourself I'd read some good things about the Galeria stuff; it looks like it might be even cheaper as Mrs. B has just rashly admitted to having a bottle in her studio! Time to put the black gloves on and get all Pink Panther...

1 hour ago, CedB said:

In other news I've ordered a nail art brush kit from Amazon - 20 pieces for less than £4. I have no idea what the 'dotting' tools are for but I may use them for, er, dotting. Thanks for the tip!

Nice bargain! Oooh - is that what the one with the funny ball shaped bit on the end is - a 'dotting' tool? I wondered what that did - I'm living the dream now!

58 minutes ago, rob85 said:

She looks brilliant Tony, I can believe you have managed to make that in 1/72, and a watch!! Looking forward to the paint, which ever one you choose

Thank-you for that Rob. Now I just have to make sure she doesnae end up looking like Charlotte the Harlot and do her justice with some elegant paintwork.

57 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

I had no idea on starting this thread that it would uncover such a rich and complex seam of masculinity....

49 minutes ago, CedB said:

Oh... er... oops. I'll bin the selfies then. Bit embarrassing

Dot your fingernails Ced and put it all behind you....:winkgrin:

47 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

Best do that; the mods will only delete them if you post them here!

Or else be put into that 'secret' part of the forum that rumours occasionally circulate about amongst the cognoscenti....

:bye:

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

I had no idea on starting this thread that it would uncover such a rich and complex seam of masculinity....

I didn't want Ced treading on your stilettoes and spoiling your pantomime dame act Baroness!

Martian

• Like 5

Just now, Martian Hale said:

I didn't want Ced treading on your stilettoes and spoiling your pantomime dame act Baroness!

Oooh you big sweetie: a wave of the lace hankie to you!

• Like 5

Just to agree with everyone on Mo; absolutely fantastic Tony, a real

little work of art.

:goodjob: 

I've only had bad experiences with Humbrol Matt Varnish. It ruined at least 3 quite nice models, in particular an Airfix (old mould) Beaufighter. It went cloudy, wasn't Matt and wouldn't dry.

Cloudy on an Airfix Hurricane, gloss and wouldn't dry on an Airfix Boulton Paul Defiant. They ended up in the bin.

I tried stirring, shaking, thinning, allsorts. Had two different bottles, both not user friendly with me.

I followed Ced's advice last year and bought some W & N Matt varnish. Not so cheap or easy to find here, but worth the search. Nice and Matt, user friendly, does what it says on the jar :thumbsup2: .

All the best

TonyT 🐯 

• Like 4

Funny how we all have different experiences with stuff, isn't it? I just couldn't get Galeria to airbrush properly whatever I did with it! Maybe I had a duff bottle. Or I'm just useless! I do really like the Alclad ones though....

K

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CedB said:

Don't post them....TonyT's Mrs might see and then you're really in it!

Ian

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, limeypilot said:

Don't post them....TonyT's Mrs might see and then you're really in it!

Ian

Oh I dunno

I reckon he'll be cutting a fine figure in them

Go on Ced mate

Publish and damn the lot of 'em

;)

fnaaar fnaaar

(is that how we spells it?)

• Like 2