The EDSG Files # 2: Fairey Barracuda 1/72

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

Like I suspect many people on here, modelling is also for me a way of claiming a part of the world back from a stressful job. I find within five minutes of sitting at the bench I've switched off from work and drifted imperceptibly into that funny half-zen state we get into gluing and painting small bits of stuff to look like bigger bits of stuff.

Never a truer word was spoken. :lol: 

Those roundels and tail flashes look great, I haven't got around to trying this yet but you have done a sterling job on the colour and shape of these Tony. I might have to give it a shot.

I see PC seems to have noticed those high end cat burglar gloves too. It looks like the Barra is being shown off by David Niven in the pink panther.  Brilliant, very European. 

Really looking forward to this coming together. 

Bravo.

Johnny

• Like 5

Inspirational work Tony. Reckon a light sand with micromesh, future coat and matt varnish, you won't notice any rough edges or imperfections. Don' forget you are magnifying them several fold, and those damn macro shots never cut you any slack. Think I'll have a go at masking and painting roundels myself sometime.

Seems I'm not the only one who's noticed your black gloves. Maybe you'll get some kind of cult following. Though I recommend you get yourself a proper haircut:

• Like 6

15 hours ago, Procopius said:

I like those international assassin-style gloves you have there, Tony.

:hmmm:Any targets of opportunity? I'm not busy next week.:whistle:

Actually PC they're disposable tattooists gloves and they go on with a most satisfying rubber snap!, one  that immediately creates an expectant air of harsh discipline and incipient pain:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-Black-Nitrile-Disposable-Tattoos-Industrial-Gloves-Medical-Grade-Exam-/131996590658

Btw. from reading that recent 'America's Top Model(ler) entry over on your thread, I note that we appear to frequent the same optician!

32759557762_9c90ae40b8_c.jpg

:D la classe non è acqua dear boy!

15 hours ago, CedB said:

Quite! Seconded from me :) 

Thanks Ced. :thumbsup2:I should have added in the above 'only to be matched by the detached pleasure of reading through the forum with a hot cup of tea/cold bottle of beer in one's hand'...Having found myself amongst such friends here is a wholly unanticipated pleasure in life these days.

15 hours ago, moaning dolphin said:

Blinkety flip young man, slow down! One minute we are talking hairstyles and next catch up we are painting decals! Maybe I should catch up more often! Marvelous attempt at those roundals, I doff my hat off to you, not had the courage to try that before. Saw the near disaster with the fin flash, if you stick the tape on some clear acetate and then lay that over the decal it would prevent the decal damage. You would just have to make sure the decal sheet was securely attached to the acetate (without causing damage to the decal sheet of course!) to prevent slippage. I will have to have a look in the dollar store for those brushes, they look dead handy.

Going to blink now and half expecting this build to be finished!

Merci Bob. :thumbsup2: Only on Britmodeller would somebody say 'slow down' on some madness that's been going on for over three months!:winkgrin: Your anti-tailflash wrecking tip is of course the kind of common sense that routinely eludes me. The nuclear power industry is an immeasurably safer place due to my lack of involvement in it...

Most pound/dollar shops should have some generic version of those nail brushes I reckon. I have to admit that I've a bizarre fascination with the nail-bar phenomenon, possibly on a spectrum with those ASMR videos on Y-tube, watching all that delicate painting. Until that is you realize that you've just been staring in a shop window at women for about ten minutes and realize that phone-calls to the constabulary are probably imminent....

• Like 5

15 hours ago, Beard said:

I actually go to work to get away from the stress of modelling.

:lol: Let me guess. Hypnotist? Member of the Swedish Royal family? Chocolatier? :hmmm:

15 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Those roundels and tail flashes look great, I haven't got around to trying this yet but you have done a sterling job on the colour and shape of these Tony. I might have to give it a shot.

I see PC seems to have noticed those high end cat burglar gloves too. It looks like the Barra is being shown off by David Niven in the pink panther.  Brilliant, very European.

Danke Johann!:thumbsup2: 

Painting those blighters is fiddly but satisfying out of all proportion to the task. That compass cutter is a brill investment for circles down to 5mm radius, but  any smaller and I reckon Tomo's advice on a punch set is de riguer.(Unless you've a laser cutter at work alongside the 3d printer...hmm, there's a thought...) Them gloves are the business, - they don't rip half as easy as other disposable I've had, possibly due to being favoured by tattooists - even when I'm fumbling around in them the feeling of panache is so much better than a pair of yellow Marigolds...

15 hours ago, Tomoshenko said:

Seems I'm not the only one who's noticed your black gloves. Maybe you'll get some kind of cult following. Though I recommend you get yourself a proper haircut:

Thanks for your kind words on the roundels Tomo  - I'd encourage anyone to at least try  the process once. The RAF ones are fine of course, but the US 'stars n' bars' one needs some thinking-out!

That video is classic. From a certain angle there's a roguish hint of Ian McShane as Lovejoy about Big A, even if you have to wonder whether he was the inspiration for 'smell the glove' in the Tap movie:

12 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Lovely work on the decals, they've come out much better than mine did. I'll have to find some of that masking sheet.....

Thanks Ian.:thumbsup2: There are two types of that Tamiya stuff, both the same grade I think but one set is marked out with a grid to make measuring and alignment easier. Had I know that before I'd have bought the gridded set instead of the plain I'm using. It sticks really well though - even on curves - and pulls off easily enough with no apparent damage to the underlying paintwork (on Tamiya acrylics that is). The only issue I had really was a slight bleed from the white undercoat so as mentioned earlier by somebody, sealing the edge with a layer of the underlying colour first before applying a white base should cure that. 

14 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

And the question they are all asking is, how Maureen is getting along today!

As I've spent the last few days swearing at circles, her ladyship has undergone only modest revision Martian. A little more Mr.S to make the blouse material smoother and more cotton-like in the folds:

32789493161_865bbbacfc_c.jpg

Plus a thumb to add:

32759515112_38d7ef1902_c.jpg

That forearm still needs some modest thinning/smoothing I see (aren't close-ups cruel at 1/72), but I'm most proud of having given her convincing rolled-up sleeves. Go figure...:lol:

12 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Little t thinks the roundels look great Tony...!! :dinosaur:

Cheers K! Do you know each time I see the little feller now I actually imagine I hear a scale roar coming from his jaws!:lol:

Thanks, as ever, for all your comments and for reading my ravings.

:bye: Tony

• Like 10

I like the roundels and fin flashes. Before you know it you will be investing in a vinyl cutter and trying to do eight inch serial masks...

I refuse to spend less than a fiver on brush, and they do serve well for ages, even though I brush everything. Whenever I look at cheap brushes in art shops I get an involuntary shudder. That said, the ones you get in the modern Airfix gift sets are pretty good, and they can't cost anything like fiver a pop, so maybe I should give the nail bar ones a go.

All this TSS mullarkey is making me want to do an FAA subject soon!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 3

3 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Cheers K! Do you know each time I see the little feller now I actually imagine I hear a scale roar coming from his jaws!:lol:

Haha, you're not alone, weird isn't it?!

Anyway, he says little Mo is looking particularly tasty today...! :dinosaur:

K

• Like 1

This is such a great thread Tony, From all the delicate work with the scale engine and supports, to wing fold, undercarriage detailing, opening up the canopy, a scale, scratch built female pilot (with accurate features), paint tonal work and now hand painted roundels; it's got it all!

Please, as others have said, slow down. This is one of those TV shows we don't want to end, for me my 'Foyle's War' of Brit Modeller :).

Now, all that said, I know I've mentioned this before, but I feel I must mention it again. This time I know I'm not alone - the chap from the Red Planet is with me at the very least:

Knockers.

1/72nd scale Bristols.

Country Baps.

Brems. 

Little blue birds.

Bazookas.

:pie::pie: 

:thumbsup2: 

:D

TonyT

• Like 3

4 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Btw. from reading that recent 'America's Top Model(ler) entry over on your thread, I note that we appear to frequent the same optician!

32759557762_9c90ae40b8_c.jpg

:D la classe non è acqua dear boy!

Oh my goodness, do you know, I think they very well might be the same. Your frames aren't Ray-Bans are they? 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

I like the roundels and fin flashes. Before you know it you will be investing in a vinyl cutter and trying to do eight inch serial masks...

Thanks for that Adrian. Ummm....just supposing a chap might invest in a vinyl cutter..on the off-chance...in passing, so to speak...any suggestions as to what he might look at as worth getting?

6 hours ago, Beard said:

All three...

What a guess. I' m off to pick lottery numbers whilst I'm on a roll...;)

5 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Haha, you're not alone, weird isn't it?!

Anyway, he says little Mo is looking particularly tasty today...! :dinosaur:

Thanks you two. I just put a collar and tie on her made from wine bottle foil, and a plastic thumb, so now she's going :thumbsup2: like the real one! There's even a watch dial on her wrist as well now...My eyes are about to implode from the effort...

• Like 5

7 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

This is such a great thread Tony, From all the delicate work with the scale engine and supports, to wing fold, undercarriage detailing, opening up the canopy, a scale, scratch built female pilot (with accurate features), paint tonal work and now hand painted roundels; it's got it all!

Please, as others have said, slow down. This is one of those TV shows we don't want to end, for me my 'Foyle's War' of Brit Modeller :).

Now, all that said, I know I've mentioned this before, but I feel I must mention it again. This time I know I'm not alone - the chap from the Red Planet is with me at the very least:

Thanks TT, most kind sir. Foyle's War. Honeysuckle Weeks in uniform. :Tasty::frantic: Aaargghhh!!! as Spike Milligan might have said with legs crossed.

7 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

Knockers.

Indeed! Now it may come as a shock to yourself and our Martian colleague that I'm not in fact building Samantha Fox here.:whip::lol:

Having studied la Dunlop from all available angles I fear I must remind my readership that not only were breasts strictly rationed during the war by the Ministry of Garbonzas, but that in the Picture Post photoshoot, Our Lady of the Barracuda was encased in shapeless service kit. Seen from the side therefore you'll notice a pronounced concealment of the feminine divine resulting from this:

2B46656F00000578-3194754-Take_off_Mauree

This is a Barracuda - not a bleedin' Bordello!:rolleyes:

6 hours ago, Procopius said:

Oh my goodness, do you know, I think they very well might be the same. Your frames aren't Ray-Bans are they? 

Sadly no. They were some fancy Italian name that probably translates as 'not quite close enough to Ray-Bans to get sued'...

• Like 3

Now it may come as a shock to yourself and our Martian colleague that I'm not in fact building Samantha Fox here.:whip::lol:

Having studied la Dunlop from all available angles I fear I must remind my readership that not only were breasts strictly rationed during the war by the Ministry of Garbonzas, but that in the Picture Post photoshoot, Our Lady of the Barracuda was encased in shapeless service kit. Seen from the side therefore you'll notice a pronounced concealment of the feminine divine resulting from this:

This is a Barracuda - not a bleedin' Bordello!:rolleyes:

Sadly no. They were some fancy Italian name that probably translates as 'not quite close enough to Ray-Bans to get sued'...

Have you never heard of artistic licence?

Martian

• Like 1

Having studied la Dunlop from all available angles I fear I must remind my readership that not only were breasts strictly rationed during the war by the Ministry of Garbonzas,

With that, the iPad Mini and PC's shades I'm gone. Tears of laughter! The neighbours will think I'm Nuts :rofl: !

TonyT

PS: Tony; Wee Friends 1/72 'RAF Driver Sam'.

http://eshop.friendshipmodels.org.uk/epages/BT3667.mobile/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/BT3667/Products/WFM72013

I have this little lady; she looks a lot like Honeysuckle Weeks to me. But then again, that's me :blink:;).

TT

• Like 2

15 hours ago, TheBaron said:

I almost forgot to mention, I actually met a contestant on that show a few years back at a wedding; she's from my hometown and apparently is a friend of one of the wife of one of my cousins. Such are the rarefied circles in which I travel.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Where'd she get that iPad Mini from...?!

10 hours ago, limeypilot said:

She's got Procopius' shades too!

10 hours ago, Procopius said:

A woman of quality, I knew it the moment I saw her. 

I'm rather taken by those high-waisted trousers she has on too. Perhaps a sign of age but low off the hip no longer seems credible for trousers on me, I'm starting to look better in strides that appear on final approach to the armpits. (I love the look on this guy's face -not an f given..):

tumblr_mzj9qbSFPF1qa2j8co1_1280.jpg

9 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

I have this little lady; she looks a lot like Honeysuckle Weeks to me.

I shall have to study the ankles of the original more closely before committing myself on that.:lol:

9 hours ago, Procopius said:

Such are the rarefied circles in which I travel.

I once trod on Dave Gilmour's foot in a London club. Such was the inebriated circle in which I was travelling toward the bar...

May I present the finished article. Nights in White Primer:

32931971625_73f0219a90_c.jpg

Thumb, tie and collar now attached. I noticed that her left hand in these photos looked slightly over-scale so I've reduced it down just now and so it look smaller than you see here.

32778230202_77f2ab5914_c.jpg

Give us a twirl Anthea...

32116984653_3293d8aa49_c.jpg

She's in a greenish under-shadow coat preparatory to painting:

32116984163_fc2817d71d_c.jpg

...a modelling take on the Renaissance fresco-painters' trick of verdaccio. I've noticed that at 1/72 even using dark grey for the 'shadowed recesses' approach can occasionally look too strong at this small scale, sometimes making the figure look like a high-contrast photo. I want the shadows to appear softer.

Not also she now has a (non-ticking) watch on her wrist.

As to her colours, please correct me if you think I'm in error but I'm going for her slacks in RAF blue, pale blue shirt and black tie as per the colours here:

65194383d002e727a88221af45aea9c3.jpgf77b9e9d4e4585c41a3de6ce42bd62e7.jpg

and probably a plain brown for the shoes. Hair a mousey-brown as agreed previously and red lipstick. Skin pallor: 'pale and interesting'...

A busy couple of days due but I hope to get in to the bench again on Saturday afternoon some time. I'll put some Klear on the Barra for decalling (reminds me, there's some wingfold edges etc. that need the interior green re-applying on before that bit) and paint la Dunlop as well over the weekend hopefully.

:bye:Tony

PS. I was intending to do the final matt varnish at the end with Humbrol Matt Cote; I've never used it before if anyone has any tips to pass on...

• Like 8

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

PS. I was intending to do the final matt varnish at the end with Humbrol Matt Cote; I've never used it before if anyone has any tips to pass on...

I've never used Humbrol Matte myself, but my general understanding is that with matte coats, less is more -- the more is laid down, the greater the risk of ending up with a gloss finish. 

• Like 1