The EDSG Files # 2: Fairey Barracuda 1/72

Great recovery Tony - looking really nice now...

I can't think of anything clean to rhyme with 'Celia Imrie' I'm afraid... lots of other things but nothing clean :wicked:

Enjoy the party, the games :rofl: and the craic...

• Like 1

Nice pointer with the compass placement, knew you would sort it even if my attitude is I wouldn't bother!

My try a bit of apple bobbing with the children later, though seems unfair on the apple!

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TheBaron said:

30051943273_e07e13f2a0_c.jpg

:hmmm: Might want to ease those pedals back slightly as well - not all those FAA lads were 7' long...

If the groove in the floor is the location of the I.P. Tony, I'd agree, as the pic of the real thing shows them almost underneath the panel - but then they may have been adjustable?!

I wish I could work out how to edit replies in a post to apply multiple replies under quotes from someone's post you're quoting, but this new software defeats me, so I'd just like to give a :rofl: to your plans for the Haloween party, sounds like it should be fun! Just don't let it get too out of hand, you don't want a visit from DCI O'Barnaby...!! 

Keith

• Like 2

interesting what people see, I see the compass under the isnt panel and on the angled portion of fwd floor, with the pedals almost (surprisingly so) to the firewall.

some refs here,

293081d1326757367t-plenty-finds-new-site

I think the tube sticking up is the compass mount

Cuda001.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

I wish I could work out how to edit replies in a post to apply multiple replies under quotes from someone's post you're quoting

Eh what? I think I know what you mean and you're not the only one so I've posted what I do here.

Sorry for the highjack Tony but I HTH :)

• Like 4

4 hours ago, CedB said:

Great recovery Tony - looking really nice now...

I can't think of anything clean to rhyme with 'Celia Imrie' I'm afraid... lots of other things but nothing clean :wicked:

Enjoy the party, the games :rofl: and the craic...

Thanks Ced.:D Pumpkins carved, cocktail sausages on standby, TK red lemonade by the gallon. Calm before the storm so managed to fit in an unexpected hour at the bench...

Don't be afraid to PM the filthy version! :rofl: Quite a lot seems to rhyme with Celia doesn't it? :shocked::wicked:

2 hours ago, keefr22 said:

If the groove in the floor is the location of the I.P. Tony, I'd agree, as the pic of the real thing shows them almost underneath the panel - but then they may have been adjustable?!

I wish I could work out how to edit replies in a post to apply multiple replies under quotes from someone's post you're quoting, but this new software defeats me, so I'd just like to give a :rofl: to your plans for the Haloween party, sounds like it should be fun! Just don't let it get too out of hand, you don't want a visit from DCI O'Barnaby...!! 

Groove and IP seems to match Keith: I did a dry fit after reading this to check and found I had to sand the edges of the consoles slightly to get the cockpit to fit, but otherwise not too bad. For multi-quote I just highlight the text in someone's post I want to use and a popup should appear saying 'quote this'. It floats by the text you've just highlighted, rather than being connected to the two quote buttons at the bottom of a post.

HTH.

2 hours ago, 71chally said:

interesting what people see, I see the compass under the isnt panel and on the angled portion of fwd floor, with the pedals almost (surprisingly so) to the firewall.

some refs here,

I think the tube sticking up is the compass mount

Cheers James, Those pedals do seem quite far forwards don't they. In the 'current' layout of the kit one they're slightly forwards of the IP toward the engine, so look similar enought to these references. Even if they didn't, TBH they're staying there at this stage anyway...:lol:

That compass must have been removable (on the Albacore it seems to sit on a shelf Ikea-style!) but how it was secured I don't know. I rather stupidly thought it might have been with magnets, until I stopped and thought about that for a moment!:banghead:

This is such an enjoyable kit that it's difficult to stop popping in and 'just doing a bit', so some dry-brushing to pop out the interior-green detailing a little:

30059948634_d0147e023f_c.jpg

As with the Sea Venom, I'm erring on the side of less being more satisfying at this scale rather than more in terms of drawing out surface relief and texture with paint effects.. TBH I've seen one or two 'masterbuilds' (not in the forum, in publications) in which dark washes and lightening dry-brushing are so exaggerated that the net effect is rather like a colour photo with too much contrast. Tamiya XF4 used throughout here:

30574899642_e8af5e82a8_c.jpg

For the various 'black boxes' and IP, the black is dry-brushed with XF22:

30059952174_9c2ff61f06_c.jpg

I'm deliberately using grey rather than any metallic effects in these parts to see if the scale effects of shine and scuff are better-rendered in this way. I've not been happy with my own efforts at dry-brushing for metal effects in past work so seeing if this way looks more satisfying.

I also took the plunge and Droned through the wing roots to provide access for a supporting wing spar. Before doing this, be conscious of how this might interact with interior fixtures as there are two issues to beware of: interior bulkheads and the decking over the rear cockpits:

30574903812_538e111567_c.jpg

The spar here will pass directly under the roof and directly behind the front bulkhead of the Nav's position without hitting either. Note to self: check the protrusion of the spar used later on as less horizontal length available to port due to wing-fold....

I was reading the Pilot's Notes for the Barracuda (not something I could have envisaged myself ever saying six months ago!) and came across a perfect example of naval aviation sang froid in the 'Emergencies' section. Under Section 60.Dinghy and Ditching, Subsection (i), it states:

'It should be possible to ditch the Barracuda successfully, though the landing will probably be unpleasant, as the latter half of the ditching will be made with the forward part of the aircraft covered with green water and heavy spray.'

Quite evocative writing for a flying manual. Is it me or do you sense the writer yearning to add a lyrical couplet about Icarus at that point? It does go on to reassure the crew however in section (iv) that:

'The deceleration of the aircraft when ditched, will be similar to that experienced when the aircraft is deck-arrested on the wires'

Except with green water. And heavy spray. And feelings of unpleasantness:

ditch1.jpg

1 hour ago, CedB said:

Eh what? I think I know what you mean and you're not the only one so I've posted what I do here.

Sorry for the highjack Tony but I HTH

Doh! I missed that in my first pass. Just do what Ced says Keith and ignore me...

:lol:

• Like 9

2 hours ago, CedB said:

Sorry for the highjack Tony but I HTH :)

Cheers Ced, I didn't have a clue what I was talking about...!! :lol: Off to have a read of your link!

K

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 71chally said:

some refs here,

293081d1326757367t-plenty-finds-new-site

I think it depends on the perspective given by the angle the photo was taken - in that view I totally agree! It does look like there's an adjustment knob on the pedal bar so they may have been able to move fore/aft.

But I think Tony's representation & positioning of the bits looks rather good for the one true scale!

Keith

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

I think it depends on the perspective given by the angle the photo was taken - in that view I totally agree! It does look like there's an adjustment knob on the pedal bar so they may have been able to move fore/aft.

But I think Tony's representation & positioning of the bits looks rather good for the one true scale!

Dammit. I've forgotten to add that adjustment knob....:banghead:

• Like 3

Great work here Tony and the enthusiasm is inspiring :) .

I'm not sure if it applies to this Special Hobby kit, but one of my many unfinished kits is a Frog Barracuda;

I don't have it easily to hand but I have a vague memory of making a big mistake involving the interior windows.

I'm probably talking complete bobbins, and maybe the s/h is different but:

Given the spar, interior etc, perhaps have a ponder regarding when you'll be putting the under wing windows in, and how spars, cockpit bits etc may possibly 'interact' (perhaps interfere) with them.

Also, thinking well in advance, offer up a wing to the fuselage, look at the position of the window and ponder masking, and moreover, does the lower wing root clear the window ok?

I've a feeling that I had a bit of, erm, fun with all that on the Frog model. This kit looks a dream so far, so my furrowed brow is probably entirely unnecessary. :) 

I hope you had a great Halloween 👻 🎃.

As you'll have gleaned from all the gibber I posted on Saturday on my ´Status update' thingy, Halloween came early here in SE Queensland and the miserable blighters gave us no bank holiday :( .

I love the sound of your party game where they all get locked in a darkened room with a stick :D !

DCI Barnaby; great stuff! I feel a little drift coming on; does anyone else's wife have quite vocal views on Mrs. Barnaby?

Mrs. Tiger really let's rip about Joyce.  Then again, Mrs. Tiger is quite mad,  below is a link is to one of her internet posts relating to Joyce.

Why my wife leaps around the garden dressed as Wonderwoman, I don't know. The neighbours must find it of mild interest. Maybe it's because she's mainly Scottish but was born in New Zealand? Maybe in fact she *is* Wonderwoman? Why she is so 'AntiJoyce' I don't know.

I'm a very patient man :blink:. I tend to stay in and model...it's safe :tumble:.

http://www.brasblog.info/article/325535691/what-would-joyce-do-/

I'll have to try that recipe for interior green Tony :chef: :eat:.

All the best

TonyT

Edited by TonyTiger66
Spelling; 'leaps' not 'leaks'.
  • Like 7

4 minutes ago, TonyTiger66 said:

Great work here Tony and the enthusiasm is inspiring :) .

I'm not sure if it applies to this Special Hobby kit, but one of my many unfinished kits is a Frog Barracuda. 

I do t have it easily to hand but I have a vague memory of making a big mistake involving the interior windows.

I'm probably talking complete bobbins, and maybe the s/h us different but:

Given the spar, interior etc, have a ponder regarding when you'll be putting the under wing windows in and how spars, cockpit bits etc may possibly 'interact' (perhaps interfere) with them.

Also, thinking well in advance, offer up a wing to the fuselage, look at the position of the window and ponder masking, and moreover, does the lower wing root clear the window ok?

You must have been reading my mind Tony! With the kids all settled round the Xbox for a bit I snuck back in here and was fiddling with exactly those bits! The SH instructions are super-vague (A bit 'Gaussian' as NavyBird memorably pointed out...) as to whether you should put the windows in from the outside or inside. By experimentation I worked out that  the rear (radio-op's) need to go on from the inside (and they're a tight fit so some miniature elbow-grease needed), whilst the Nav's bulbous ones are affixed from the outside. I've tested these against the wing undersides, as you rightly point out there could have been 'issues'. Thankfully just a minor sanding-down in this case.

10 minutes ago, TonyTiger66 said:

DCI Barnaby; great stuff! I feel a little drift coming on; does anyone else's wife have quite vocal views on Mrs. Barnaby?

In a word: YES! :lol: Words like 'vacant' and 'gormless' are merely the politest. The time poor Joyce got pitched down the stairs of a haunted house showed just how cruel women can be to each other, that's all I'll say. I shall pass on the anti-Joyce blog and wait for the explosion - thanks for that! 

14 minutes ago, TonyTiger66 said:

Why my wife leaks around the garden dressed as Wonderwoman,

Might want to have a look at autocorrect there old son. She'll not thank-you for that....:shocked:

I'm sorry. I have to go for a lie down after that....:rofl:

• Like 7

Just been battling the Airfix Shack, the last two posts have cheered me right up!

I say though, Tamiya paints on a Fairey product!

I visit FAAM usually twice a year, I have literally taken thousands of pictures there and do you now what, I have only one shot of that Barra front end!

When it came to ditching, I wouldn't have wanted to be the guys in the back - however nicely it was written in the PNs.

Those in board under leading edge windows, I have seen it mentioned that they were to allow the pilot to see forward and below for dive bombing attacks, I wonder if that's what the cut outs in the wing rib closest to the fuselage are for.

30695907655_5b7774e02c_b.jpgFairey Barracuda II DP872 by James Thomas, on Flickr

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, 71chally said:

Those in board under leading edge windows, I have seen it mentioned that they were to allow the pilot to see forward and below for dive bombing attacks, I wonder if that's what the cut outs in the wing rib closest to the fuselage are for.

I don't see anything else in that region except for the down view panel:

Downview

Was there something IN the wing that the pilot needed to see?:hmmm:

• Like 3

13 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Err, well, um, ahhhh - I'm lost for words really...!! :shocked: :D

One of those blogs Keith that you want to ask 'How on Earth did you...?' And then you realize: Because Internet....:lol:

5 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Wowza! Mighty update sir, progress is chugging along nicely, beautiful work on that compass and the light weathering in the office is looking great. :winkgrin:

awesome stuff indeed.

Cheers for that Sir John! I'm hoping that the compass is a talisman for a sense of direction being maintained, for the build at least. As to the thread, well, it's all over the shop already as per usual...:lol:

Up bright and early this morning for some diagnostic dry-fitting of the fuselage interiors. With that many different shapes going into it OOB - even before any other bits I'm sticking in - this is one of those kits that requires patience at this stage. (An uncharacteristic quality in my case):

30407780820_03a9185663_c.jpg

The decking looks to fit Ok. As to the House of Fun inside:

30407782460_4ef3f94e4a_c.jpg

It all looks handsome enough. Let's see how this closes-up:

30407784060_32437cbc20_c.jpg

The top is fine - that apparent gap from the rear of the cockpit is only where the two halves are slightly misaligned and casting a shadow. Underside is a different story though:

30407785350_0f6ba74dd9_c.jpg

It's plain to see that the interior 'cage' needs some attention here. Patient sanding and repeated dry fitting seems prudent for this later. Moving onto the wing-spar, having bored out some entry points last night, first task was to assess the length on each side for the starboard-down-port-up salute this is going to be posed in:

30407786990_5e9407012c_c.jpg

Something just visible there is a thing I should have anticipated: the spar is now displacing the foremost bulkhead forwards by about 1.5mm, due to the fact that there is an instrument panel (cockpit repeaters?) mounted on the top of the bulkhead in question. You can see the issue a bit better here:

30407787600_236cfece05_c.jpg

All part of the game eh? Solution? Well, no point thinning-down the spar as that's a self-defeating strategy so why not adapt the instrument panel to fit on it? 

30407788850_8d5fdcb6d5_c.jpg

If we shave that down to wafer-thinness and mount it as shown here, it should appear to a downward glance into the cockpit (through the canopy anyway) to still be in approximately the right position. Here's the spar measured-up for placement of panel and differential lengths on either side with yellow paint. (Yes, I really did try using a black marker on a black spar at first...):

30408103120_ce5471fcde_c.jpg

It's really important to work out what sequence you'll slot the spar, fuselage and interiors together in. Why? Because if you use this method of mounting, the Nav's instrument panel is too big to fit through the holes made in the fuselage for the spar. Rather than sliding the spar into an already-closed fuselage, you need to close the fuselage up around it spar/IP (if that makes sense?):

30708305585_f655750036_c.jpg

At least it's only the placement of holes in the fuselage pushing that spar back a bit too much still - not the interior bulkhead now - so that will be easy to correct with a little filing-out. I'll show the front view of that region because the pilot's cockpit will hide it later:

30408101330_208278385d_c.jpg

Did I say I like this kit? I do! I'm normally on filler by the end of page 1 so this is luxurious beyond words....

:bye: Tony

• Like 11

Just to wrench this thread off its nicely plotted course, and with reference some of the whackier goings-on in TheBaron's recent, Sea Venom thread, and thanks to Mike, TheBaron (with a tiny amount of intermediary stirring from me :poke: ), we now have:

PIE! :pie: :Tasty: :eat: .

OK, back to normal programming. Blast, now I feel hungry!

Barracuda coming along nicely. I had a quick look in the boxes on the surface for the Barracuda down in the lock-up this evening since I was going past, but it really must be down the bottom at the back.

Cheers,

Mr Pie-lover :sheep:

• Like 3

19 hours ago, TheBaron said:

As with the Sea Venom, I'm erring on the side of less being more satisfying at this scale rather than more in terms of drawing out surface relief and texture with paint effects.. TBH I've seen one or two 'masterbuilds' (not in the forum, in publications) in which dark washes and lightening dry-brushing are so exaggerated that the net effect is rather like a colour photo with too much contrast.

Or a crudely done oil painting - which is in effect what some of them are. I agree with you 200 % here: less is more, especially as the scale gets smaller. I have been pondering this myself quite a bit lately, and it is one of the reasons that I'm not doing any weathering at all in my Seafire cockpit. There are other reasons as well (and not just because I don't want to do it out of laziness, but because of the nature of the operating environment).

Cheers,

Alex :sheep:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Great stuff Tony! Most excellent pathfinding for those of us with this kit that will follow on behind!

Nice clear pics too so we can see what's going on - & all looking very neat!

Cheers Keith.:D This is just a reconnaissance for the forum - I'm expecting plenty of further builds of this kit to appear when people dig it out of their respective stashes.

1 hour ago, CedB said:

Ditto! Very nice cockpit and thanks for the spar tips :)

Merci M.le Ced.

1 hour ago, AlexN said:

PIE! :pie: :Tasty: :eat: .

Youse'll have to make your own chips with that....;)

5 minutes ago, moaning dolphin said:

Very nice progress so far and that spar looks like it will do the job, but than a flimsy butt joint any day. Keep up the good work!

Ta very much Bob! :thumbsup2: Those existing wing-joints looked to be the one weak spot structurally in the kit, so this seems the safest bet - considering the mauling it's likely to get from me in later stages of the build.

Tony

• Like 2

Looks lovely.

Two things:

1. The clear panel in the wing root.  I have seen several / heard discussions of this, including at the FAAM, and never yet reached agreement.  No-one seems to remember it terribly well, or at least what it was for... which suggests that, regardless of what it was designed for, it was seldom used.  My Dad died long before I even knew there was a question.

2.  Mr Baron, Sir, if you keep referring to the gentleman in the rear seat as a "Nav", you might start to hear the same rumbling noise that I am hearing, namely my poor old Dad revolving in his grave.  Naval aircraft: Observer, not "Navigator".  Yes, I know that you will find use of the word in contemporary documents, but that's because the RN only wrestled control of their flying back from the Crabs RAF in the nick of time, immediately before the war.  In a ship, the Navigator is one man only, namely the highly-specialised geezer wot navigates the ship.  A Looker is a Looker.  The third member of the crew was usually called a "TAG" (Telegraphist Air Gunner) - though they didn't always fly with one; my Dad was trained to fire the gun too (which is a deeply scary thought even well over 70 years on...)

I too have lots of pictures of Barra wreckage from the Museum; shout if there's anything you are specifically looking for.  Though if it is details of the wing root area once folded, it looks as though you already have the same stuff that I found.

[Dammit, my Barra-sense is starting to twitch again.  No!  Must stick to sea King for now!]

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 2

hi everybody this is Raphael again my dad said i could show you my plane I made its a boulton paul defiant. I didn't use the decals that came with the set they're night predators of the raf.Its not as good as the tomahawk I made before I made a few mistakes including the turrets guns when I was melting on the decals i didn't factor in the fact that plastic melts aswell so now the guns are droopy.And one of the decals got torn it was the registration numbers on the port side you can't see it in these but trust me there not there.I used cover of an aspirin to simulate patched bullet holes. 

30625278491_6071c0a744_c.jpg

30079129843_4db46766e0_c.jpg

• Like 14