The EDSG Files # 2: Fairey Barracuda 1/72

1 hour ago, AlexN said:

... Slater's (from Bath, I notice)

THAT had me searching... not my Bath, sadly, it's Matlock Bath, oop North.

Typical of my 'Bath' assumptions, being a Bathonian (pronounced 'Bath onion' locally, we're very funny). I spent years in my youth being pleased that so many towns, far and wide, had a 'Bath Road' before I realised that it was where the dirty people went...

• Like 6

3 hours ago, AlexN said:

An MM diorama can't compete with a 50

Fifty Shades of Midsomer perhaps? With all that money, red wine and copiuous free time they seem to have in the area you just know there must be a high level of debauchery...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AdrianMF said:

Excellent work on those flimsy canopy fragments. You are re-defining "detailed", or is it "fiddly"?

After all that, I think you will have earned a Maureen!

Thanks Adrian. I appreciate your kind words. I'm conscious this may also be defining the hinterland thatlies between detailed and deranged. I'd half intended to do some masking this evening but being late home from work I just know I'm too tired to do a proper job.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Fifty Shades of Midsomer perhaps? With all that money, red wine and copiuous free time they seem to have in the area you just know there must be a high level of debauchery...

I quite often call episodes of MM "yet another episode of 'At it Like Rabbits'". There was the 'intersting activities' episode with seemingly half the village involved in providing various 'activities' for 'the discerning customer'...somewhat in lne with 'Shades'...

I keep having to reread your framing post to take it all in! Marvellous stuff :clap:.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Either that or they produce a lot of super duper scratch built detailed models...well at least try as in my case. I feel I must quote the late Rigsby from Rising Damp circa 1980:

"Permissive society? There's no such thing. I should know I've looked for it"

• Like 3

10 hours ago, AlexN said:

I quite often call episodes of MM "yet another episode of 'At it Like Rabbits'". 

Gives a whole new meaning to Bugs Bunny's 'What's up Doc?'...

9 hours ago, Tomoshenko said:

"Permissive society? There's no such thing. I should know I've looked for it"

:lol: There's an emoji for that now... :nerdy:

8 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

:dog:Top work on that canopy. I've only just seen it and I love it already.

sorry these new Emojis are just too much.

teally excelent scratch work, lovely photos to. Keep it up kid.

Cheers Johnny. Hope to get back to masking the blighter at the weekend.

I should have something to update you all with at the weekend as the end of my weeks at the moment are some of the busiest work times and I'm just too tired in the evening for tasks requiring patience. Once the canopy is masked and the non-sliding bits mounted onto the fuselage I suppose that I need to think about paint.

I'll need to have a look at various bits and bobs like radar antennae that mount all over the place but intend leaving most of those bits off until the final assembly after paint. A sprue inventory is called for methinks to go through all the outstanding items and get them prepared for painting individually. I've never tried the salt technique before so want to see how subtly (or not!) that  it combines with mixing the paint directly on the aircraft (as I'd done previously on the Sea Venom) for that characteristic wartime mottle and fade from exposure to maritime conditions.

It may be asking for trouble but I'm going to attempt to extend this technique to include treatment of the decals in order to avoid that visual disparity you see sometimes between a weathered airframe and spanking new insignia. I'm intending at this stage to stick with the decals that come with the kit and work on the fictionalized basis that F/O Dunlop is involved in ferrying the aircraft at some point subsequent to the Tirpitz operation. Depending on what I find in the Preiser set when it arrives it'd be nice to copy the photo of her sat in the cockpit (even if the aircraft will have the engine showing and look like it's in maintenance).

Toodle-oo,

:bye:Tony

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

Depending on what I find in the Preiser set when it arrives it'd be nice to copy the photo of her sat in the cockpit (even if the aircraft will have the engine showing and look like it's in maintenance).

Perhaps you could convert another suitable figure to be the photographer stood on the wing (the unfolded one!) taking the piccie of her? Wouldn't matter what state the aeroplane was in for a cockpit photoshoot - they'd just use the nearest one!

Keith

• Like 2

Work getting in the way of modelling again? Something must be done! :waiting:

Ooh look, new 'version 4' emotions! Thanks Johnny. Now we can vary our amusement from smile :smile: through giggle  :giggle:  and laugh :laugh: to CWL :cwl: 

These advances in modern technology never cease to amaze... :harumpf:  

• Like 4

4 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Perhaps you could convert another suitable figure to be the photographer stood on the wing (the unfolded one!) taking the piccie of her? Wouldn't matter what state the aeroplane was in for a cockpit photoshoot - they'd just use the nearest one!

Suddenly this is becoming a diorama! If I use on of those tiny fibre-optic spycams in the guy's camera lens it could even show a live portrait of Maureen in his 1/72 viewfinder.....:daydream:...not.

3 hours ago, CedB said:

Work getting in the way of modelling again? Something must be done! :waiting:

Not enough that I can't sneak a quick  forum posting in over lunch!:coffee::computer:

3 hours ago, CedB said:

Ooh look, new 'version 4' emotions! Thanks Johnny. Now we can vary our amusement from smile :smile: through giggle  :giggle:  and laugh :laugh: to CWL :cwl: 

These advances in modern technology never cease to amaze... :harumpf:  

Such decadence. The Roman Empire foundered upon less.:howzat:

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

Suddenly this is becoming a diorama! If I use on of those tiny fibre-optic spycams in the guy's camera lens it could even show a live portrait of Maureen in his 1/72 viewfinder.....:daydream:...not.

Tony, I'm disappointed. Not like you to give up so easily....!!!:tease: :D

Keith

• Like 2

I like Keith's idea of the photographer on the wing :thumbsup2:.

With the engine exposed it's already suggestive of a diorama.

Mo could be revving up the engine, post repair/overhaul and the press are in the right place at the right time, to get a moral boosting photo shoot. The thumbs up would make sense; "Aok on the engine".

It can only make it an even more awesome finished model :thumbsup:.

All best regards 

TT 🐯 

• Like 2

Yeuchh and vexation. After commiserating with others recently I've gone and picked up a dose of whatever damnable cold/flu like nastiness is pervading the Western world and unfairly targetting men.

Went to bed last night just feeling tired-er than usual and woke up this morning with the worst-ever cold that any man ever in the entire history of the human race has ever had ever in all recorded time. 

I'm going to drag some Tamiya tape and that Barra canopy back to bed on a tray and at least do some masking whilst I sulk and fitfully listen to Paul Temple Mysteries.

Baron von Indisposition :ill:

Credits:

TheBaron's hair by Maurice of Hell

TheBaron's wardrobe by Jimmy's of Grub Street

Story inspired by true events.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, AdrianMF said:

So you have sneezed at least twice, then...

Twice? God no! That could be fatal Adrian - men have died from less! Anyway, stop interrupting me, I'm in the process of checking symptoms of The Black Death on Wikipedia.

• Like 7

Perhaps the Through-Planet TunnelTM has visited upon you what had been visited upon me. I must admit that I wasn't expecting to get a cold - particularly such an annoyingly insidious one - right in the middle of summer, and a heat-wave at that...

I hope that you get well soon :) :penguin:<-- dancing penguin to cheer you up. My commiserations >schnuffle<.

Don't lose the clear parts in the bedclothes! All sorts of misfortune might befall...

Cheers,

Alex. :sheep: <-- says "Get well, soon!", too.

PS, the like was to cheer you up, and not that I rejoice in your discomfort!

• Like 3

Modeling with a tray in bed.

Good stuff :). Herb tea does wonders for this kind of thing. Camomile and honey. 

The odd drop of whisky or brandy is also said to help, in the tea itself.

Im not sure of the truly medicinal qualities of this, but it's a good excuse to get nissed as a peut, fall asleep and hopefully wake up with the cold gone:christmas:

Keep trying if it fails, that way it'll be summer before you know it:drunk:.

Get well soon old chap :thumbsup2: 

TonyT

• Like 3

On 1/27/2017 at 2:38 PM, TonyTiger66 said:

It can only make it an even more awesome finished model :thumbsup:.

That's 'awesome' in the idiosyncratic sense of 'add two more months to build'...:ner: Tell it to the Barra 'cos the Baron ain't listenin':talktothehand:

On 1/26/2017 at 2:23 PM, keefr22 said:

Tony, I'm disappointed. Not like you to give up so easily....!!!:tease: :D

Hell's :bell:...go fix yer antlers, they've come loose again...:lalala:

7 hours ago, AlexN said:

right in the middle of summer, and a heat-wave at that...

Must mean you're due for heatstroke next winter.

7 hours ago, AlexN said:

Don't lose the clear parts in the bedclothes! All sorts of misfortune might befall...

Fell asleep earlier and woke up with slithers of Tamiya tape stuck to my face, my beautiful face....

Thanks for your kind wishes dear colleague. :thumbsup2:

The Australian editor of The Lancet writes:

4 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

The odd drop of whisky or brandy is also said to help, in the tea itself.

Insert emoticon for: >checking my health insurance to see if I'm covered for 12-year old malt<

4 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

Modeling with a tray in bed.

May I present you with what is now known at chez Baron as 'man-knitting':

32450872311_e39aa2f1be_c.jpg

Mrs. B - being a craft-milliner amongst other things - is wont to sit propped up on the pillows crochetting sundry hat details of an evening. My equivalent is sitting propped up on the pillows, masking canopies...

Sitting there with the magnifying visor with in-built light attached I resemble an out-of-condition Cylon Centurion at his knitting.

31729599314_4fa8b368cd_c.jpg

Doing this at the bench would have seemed incredibly arduous, but for some reason being ensconced on the scratcher all day and tackling this periodically has been an unanticipated pleasure.

32532601086_38f8bf29ee_c.jpg

No two regions seem to be exactly the same size (what did you expect, it's a Barracuda) so you can't simply cut out a series of masks to size in advance.

32532599596_b698be6484_c.jpg

My methodology was simply to to stick a piece of approximate shape and size onto the canopy, and cut to size in place with a sharp scalpel, bespoke suit-style.

32532600456_868fe82a73_c.jpg

Suits-you sir.

An intense series of interludes doing this over the course of the day but that's an onerous task done now and a perfect antidote to keep the self-pity at arm's length. I'm hoping this dose of lurgey is going to be just an intense 48hrs of 'sweating the hog', as they say, to burn it out of the system.

If things go according to plan I'll stick the non-sliding bits onto the fuselage tomorrow. I'm off now for a bit of a hallucinate and some Panadol.

Hope you're all having beezer weekends of a leisurely or fulfilling nature yourselves,

:bye: Tony

• Like 9

3 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

Sitting there with the magnifying visor with in-built light attached I resemble an out-of-condition Cylon Centurion at his knitting.

:rofl:   Neat masking Cylon...!

And Chief Reindeer said I should inform you to stop picking on my antlers. He said glueing them is wont to make them go too rigid and therefore liable to come off. So there..:tease:

Keith :dinosaur:

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Tomoshenko said:

Superb job on that masking Tony. Does sort of resemble a Tamiya tape millipede though...

I was thinking exactly the same!

lovely work though Tony, a beautifully masked millipede that!

Rob

• Like 1