The EDSG Files # 2: Fairey Barracuda 1/72

Beautiful work, that canopy looks like a ruddy nightmare but you seem to be handeling it quite nicely.

dont you start talking about ruddy bomb racks too. 

So if the engine is out we have no bomb? Is that how it goes?

:banghead:

say it it ain't so..... :crying:

johnny bomb.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Why oh why I wonder did SH find it necessary to have the arrestor hook region of the underside as a separate component?

I'm thinking it's the only way that they could mold that deep V in the under fuselage.

Looking good (he says, needlessly)!

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, rob85 said:

love this this by the pilot Denis Barnham

What an image Rob. It's incredibly dynamic and seems to have at least three different perspectives within the frame. I feel giddy looking at it. Thanks!

3 hours ago, rob85 said:

also the nose of the spitfire is blue :) 

Edited 3 hours ago by

A very aggressive PR sortie to get a close-up of a 109 undercarriage?:)

1 hour ago, Martian Hale said:

I thought Ced wold have been in there with one of his fnar, fnars by now!

He's been off his stroke of late.;)

• Like 5

1 hour ago, The Spadgent said:

say it it ain't so..... :crying:

Well. It's a very nice bomb. I might keep it nearby...just in case.

46 minutes ago, 71chally said:

I'm thinking it's the only way that they could mold that deep V in the under fuselage.

Fair point James.

I just read in David Pascoe's book Aircraft that Hugo Junkers patented a flying wing concept aircraft - Nurflugel - in 1910! Patentschrift Nr.253788. The cockpit profile is pure B-2 Spirit. (Imagine the Junkers G38 with aerodynamic curves).

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, CedB said:

Sorry chaps, been a bit crock lately. Normal service (fnaar fnaar) will be resumed soon when I'm feeling myself again

We thought something was wrong!

Martian

• Like 2

Torque us a separate thing altogether, but has a similar effect. Both come into play....torque is the reaction to the prop....the prop rotates clockwise so the fuselage wants to rotate in the opposite direction, also causing a tendency to turn left! The more powerful the engine, and the bigger the prop, the more it will want to turn.

Ian

• Like 2

With regard to wartime paintings, as this thread is of an aeroplane with a naval bent,  there are some wonderful examples in the FAA museum in Yeovilton, done at the time by people who were there. Very evocative work. And if memory serves, there might be a Barracuda or two in one or more of them....

K

• Like 3

15 hours ago, CedB said:

resumed soon when I'm feeling myself again

Even suffering from illness, he manages to maintain standards. What a trouper!:nodding:

14 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Torque us a separate thing altogether,

Thanks for clearing that up Ian. Just out of curiosity, do you know whether the rotating parts in a turbojet have any similar effect to props, however negligible?

13 hours ago, keefr22 said:

there are some wonderful examples in the FAA museum in Yeovilton, done at the time by people who were there. Very evocative work. And if memory serves, there might be a Barracuda or two in one or more of them....

You're right! Up on the first floor there's a display of paintings and some sketches IIRC from a visit last summer, was Stanley Lewis the guy you were thinking of regarding the Barracuda?

http://www.lissfineart.com/7274collection0_144.htm

There's also a lot of wartime sketches and colour studies of aircraft etc. in this catalogue of his work:

http://www.lissfineart.com/download/Stanley_Lewis.pdf

• Like 4

The torque will still be there on a turbojet, although minimal as the spinning disc is smaller and not at front and centre. I don't know of any tailwheel turbopops/jets so pressession would not be an issue on take-off. I have a couple of thousand hours in Caravans and the torque of the prop is definitely enough to make it near impossible to make a right turn on the ground if the right brake has failed

Ian

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, limeypilot said:

I don't know of any tailwheel turbopops/jets so pressession would not be an issue on take-off. 

Tailwheel turboprop - Pilatus Porter

Tailwheel jet - Supermarine Attacker, Yak 15

K

• Like 5

A brief update tonight, and one where the optimism of SH can be found a little wanting in the fixing-procedure for the upper parts of the undercarriage. Looking again at the link struts that go from the triangular torsion box fairing up to pivots in the wheel well, I decided that they would do the job, however a closer look revealed some ugly mould-lines on both sides that needed cleaning up with a scalpel:

32214350426_0b101d0abd_c.jpg

You can see they almost look like two differently-sized parts sandwiched together. Not great. Also the angle on that 'foot' part isn't quite at the right angle for where it fits onto the triangular bit, as you'll see in a minute. This shows the region of the real thing I'm on about:

31876669310_f1ddb34e9b_m.jpg

Sorry it's such a small image but it shows two details I haven't seen in other reference photos - a set of what I believe are three oxygen bottles in the wing root, plus in the recessed part that the torsion box fairing folds up into, there's a hole in the fuselage out of which (or into - I've no idea what it is, the only part I've seen annotated in that area is a mainwheel operating jack?) some kind of pipework goes. So I made the holes too, intending to add some tube later on:

32252662565_9ac10c87b7_c.jpg

This what what 30 minutes' swearing looks like, in plastic form:

32252663375_2145af3f76_c.jpg

Two things to say about this. One: the pivot at the top of the strut (where it fixes into the wheel well) is not a secure one - I had to lever the pivot open wider in order to get it to stick. Two: as mentioned above, that 'foot' needs the bottom of it filing to a new angle to orientate correctly to glue onto the torsion box fairing. If you think about it, that angled strut is going to be taking the weight of the whole model. You can see what I mean here:

32252664085_eb60118a79_c.jpg

When that poly cement has had overnight to harden, I think I might come back and add a little epoxy as unobtrusively as possible at the back of the pivot in the wheel well, in order  to form a stronger bond. I'm not actually blaming SH - the detail as you see it there is pretty faithful to the actual aircraft structure, it's just in reproducing that in plastic it's a problem having a potential weak spot in a load bearing stress point.

Looking through the cutaway I have (a reproduction from Air International May 1977) I also noticed earlier that behind the pilot's seat in the Barra is an enigmatic shape labelled 'Incendiary Bomb'! I guess they didn't want it falling into enemy hands in case they copied the 'unique' features of this aircraft.:lol: 

Actually, the torpedo sight was a pretty cutting edge piece of kit wan't it, so maybe that was why?

We're promised snow tomorrow, as are a lot of people. Be a pity to get snowbound and have to spend a day at the bench wouldn't it? :wicked:

:bye: Tony

• Like 12

25 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

I also noticed earlier that behind the pilot's seat in the Barra is an enigmatic shape labelled 'Incendiary Bomb'! I guess they didn't want it falling into enemy hands in case they copied the 'unique' features of this aircraft.

Actually, the torpedo sight was a pretty cutting edge piece of kit wan't it, so maybe that was why?

Radar even more so - especially on the Mk. III

• Like 3

3 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Not sure if you're aware, but apparently Barracuda resin have just released a set of early Barracuda wheels in 1:72......

Ian

Are you sure they're new? I have two sets of Barracuda's Barracuda Early Main Wheels (#72137) in my stash for a couple of years. I think they were released in 2013.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

Are you sure they're new? I have two sets of Barracuda's Barracuda Early Main Wheels (#72137) in my stash for a couple of years. I think they were released in 2013.

Cheers,

Bill

OK, that's possible...I just got an email from them about some of their "new" stuff and those were listed, so I assumed they were actually new!

Ian

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

If this is where swearing gets you, then curse on Tony!

My wife does not agree. I am a bad influence on my children....

11 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Radar even more so - especially on the Mk. III

I suspect it was really because whatever they were hiding in those mystery holes in the wing roots was so secret that we don't even know what it is to this day!

10 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Not sure if you're aware, but apparently Barracuda resin have just released a set of early Barracuda wheels in 1:72......

Cheers Ian. The wheels actually look pretty OK on this kit and there seem to be two types. I'll post some close-ups later.

9 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Ooh Snowbound! :coolio:

The mere thought of it transports me back to being a kid and getting the day off school because the buses couldn't get through...

• Like 5

Looking good! The undercarriage design is yet more evidence that the Fairey design team was smokin' something strong...

(Too late now, but you could drill a hole into the back of each torsion box and run a brass wire through the fuselage to give the undercarriage some extra strength.)

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 3

Wow, did you notice that Barham painting of the Auster cockpit?

Just wow

And you also earn a wow for getting a wing on at the first attempt

That undercarriage structure, you know the one like one of the bastule arms on Tower bridge, have you considered stiffening the contact area of the joint with a thin smear of cyano glue?

I use it a lot for adding stiffness without obviously adding size to a piece of model, just wipe a thin splodge around with the pointed end of a cocktail stick covering it all with a thin skin

Usually works quite well for me

I'm loving this more and disliking the Barra more as this epic unfolds, its no good pretending, its an affront to aerodynamics as I thought I knew it

Obviously that puts me at odds to the world again but hey, that's not for the first time either

I love jollychopters best

:)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, perdu said:

I'm loving this more and disliking the Barra more as this epic unfolds, its no good pretending, its an affront to aerodynamics as I thought I knew it

Obviously that puts me at odds to the world again but hey, that's not for the first time either

I love jollychopters best

The last sentence might just have saved you, but saying you dislike the Barra as an affront to aerodynamics... and then justifying it by saying you love us wobbleheads...  

You haven't really thought this one through, Bill, have you?  Have you thought about the aerodynamics of a Wasp recently?

• Like 4

You seem to be misapprehending stuff here Crisp

(An unfortunate trait I occasionally came across when ossifers were involved)

Aeroplanes have to force their flying surfaces around, to garner lift, always encumbered by extra odd appendages in the sad case of the Disgustacuda, whereas helicopters wisely and indeed sensibly make their primary lifting devices whizz round disencumbered

This allows them, as I'm sure you remember, to pop around happily with little regard for fashionable and trendy smoothness

Some biggish Westland aerodynes spring to mind here very lightly as being very nicely berivetted.

;)

I rest my case, mostly because a chilly garage calls with an assortment of new or cleaned up devices to secure to an engine and I can't afford to entice milady Evans to do it for me...

:(

• Like 3

I've enjoyed being introduced to new art on this thread.

The PDF download catalogue is superb. The website of origin, if one uses the left and right arrows, has many more wonderful wartime artworks.

Looking at the undercarriage on the model makes me think about the 'weight problem' the real thing was said to have. Also the earlier YouTube film of a Barra with a colllapsed undercarriage.

All thought provoking stuff, art, history, nostalgia, conflict, debate, somewhere some blokes building a kit too!

Now. Have we all noticed the page count? I feel this may go beyond 40 :o.

What will happen then? Will it be clamped like an old Mercedes, double parked in Bath city centre, stranded, waiting for North East Somerset Robo-cop to come, strap it, truss it and lift it away, to be put in a compound at an unmanageable £60 a day???!!! 

With an owl? An owl?!!!!

Cough.

Erm. Wot appens if it gets to 40 Baron Tonius McBarra?

All the best

TonyT

(With an owl 🦉!!!!!!)

• Like 3