The EDSG Files # 2: Fairey Barracuda 1/72

On ‎23‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 19:04, Miggers said:

There ya go ya see Tony,throw a problem in the air and the Massiv rise to the challenge.

Cometh the hour,cometh the BM'ers.

I was going to leap in and say "Tomcat" with reference to the very shapely and clearly high performance machine featured above.

Note the product they're alluding to,namely "Lamb's Navy(rum)".

I bet anyone a shilling that Crispin and the other intrepid 'ellycopta drivers aboard his ship didn't have Mess Stewards of that

ilk to give 'em their daily,er,ration(of rum that is of course).

(Mr Bufton will no doubt surface shortly to administer the fnaar,fnaar)

Hello,

I'm a Grrreeeaaat fan of Lamb's navy rum, it's the best to me, But they no longer sell it on the ferry:(

I've tried the pusher but still a lamb's fan.

Did anyone knew where I ban find it ??

I thank you beforehand.

Corsaircorp

• Like 1

On ‎21‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 04:50, AlexN said:

Looks like a Wyvern - but disturbingly different. What is it? Wyvern prototype with piston engine?

Hello,

Yes and she is airworthy but as soon as the Rolls Royce Eagle, 24 cylinders in X, or 2 griffons mated together is experimental. The insurance for flying the beast are unbearable.

When did you have took this photo please ?

Last time is saw her, she was in EDSG and Sky.

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Like 1

On 11/24/2016 at 7:53 PM, 71chally said:

You know that recurring joke in Airplane, where certain characters keep reappearing and saying the same thing...

Superb detail modelling there Tony  -   I just wanna tell you, good luck, we're all counting on you

Recur away old boy. Happy for you to do so! :D

On 11/24/2016 at 8:32 PM, Martian Hale said:

There you are, I said you would crack it!

Eggzactly....

• Like 1

On 11/24/2016 at 9:31 PM, The Spadgent said:

looks bloody fantabulosa old boy. Bravo. :rambo:

On 11/24/2016 at 9:50 PM, keefr22 said:

Super, spiffing, great...!! :thumbsup:

On 11/25/2016 at 0:29 AM, CedB said:

Good stuff, looks proper, nice job that man!

On 11/25/2016 at 2:39 AM, limeypilot said:

Nicely done! Just have to rely on the back-up once in a while...

Ian

On 11/25/2016 at 4:15 AM, AlexN said:

Looking splendiferous, Tony :D (extra-big smile for you - loved the Allosaurus ("Aaaargh!"), T. rex or whatever 'tis, too).

John, Keith, Ced, Ian, Alex. Many thanks to you all for the continued encouragement chaps! :thumbsup:

On 11/25/2016 at 10:04 AM, corsaircorp said:

Hello,

I'm a Grrreeeaaat fan of Lamb's navy rum, it's the best to me, But they no longer sell it on the ferry:(

I've tried the pusher but still a lamb's fan.

Did anyone knew where I ban find it ??

I thank you beforehand.

Corsaircorp

Mr. C. If this link can be believed then Tescos supermarkets in the UK still stock it.

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=256537088

Well. Here are we on a cold wet Saturday morning, and what else would one do but bend some brass:

31106542872_6e37bd4ff7_c.jpg

...and play around with heavy metals:

31214453556_009d2dcbba_c.jpg

A beautiful little package came a day or two back from Eileen's Emporium (Tip o' the hat Mr. Heath for putting me onto them!) which included amongst other things, some low-melt point cadmium solder. Once you get to the cadmium part of the Periodic Table in modelling, suddenly it feels like an episode of Edge of Darkness...(still IMHO the best political thriller the BBC ever produced) due to the stark warnings that come with said metal. Not to be messed around with by a long chalk.

I think part of my problem with soldering in the past has simply been my general and completely unreasonable ineptitude with the hot-pointy-iron approach. Somebody here mentioned earlier about using a gas torch approach, so I hooked out an old Crème brûlée torch that has languished unused in our kitchen cupboard for over a decade, and decided now was the time to step up a gear. What do you know? I can now solder small parts:

31214454806_2d56f57c1e_c.jpg

That low melt-point stuff is just superb as it stops the very thin 0.4mm tube from simply getting too hot and melting. All it really takes (after buffing the metal and applying a little flux) is to shave a flake of solder off, flatten it in the pliers and drape it over the parts, followed by a brief play of the flame to melt and flow around the joint.

Based on a sweary trial run which had bits dropping off, rather than attempt to solder the above sections onto the cantilever, they were simply glued into place:

31106535362_6e36ab5a6c_c.jpg

I'm not bothered about the structural inaccuracy of the rear section up  by the firewall - this will be hidden in the engine bay once the fuselage is closed up - what I wanted was to make sure that everything from the central truss forward (which will be in plain sight) was as accurate as possible at this scale.

31214450606_9bcf507df2_c.jpg

A little bit of tidying-up needed on the joints as you can see, but otherwise a productive session.

31106537302_8c4e1931c1_c.jpg

Ooh I say. It's nearly there now:

31214451516_b9a0554db8_c.jpg

Dying to stick some primer on to see what it looks like unified....

31106538742_c3ef717132_c.jpg

I want to add a little detail to the firewall, but then I think a little bit of a prime tomorrow on this region is on the cards. I got some of that Alclad black Microprimer for black-basing this build recently. Anyone know how it performs on metals, or would I be safer sticking to the usual Halford's grey?

31214452376_86ecd7a9a4_c.jpg

This, more than anything else I've built this year, has taken me I think to the limits of my building abilities with metal at this small scale.

31106539802_871443ca94_c.jpg

There you go. You can build a perfectly satisfactory cantilever for a Barracuda at 1/72. All it takes is faith and a few friends. :D

Now for some lunch....

• Like 16

5 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Eggzactly....

That joke was so corny I had to "like" the post so that I could "unlike" it! Fortunately your modelling is better than you jokes so I could actually "like" your last post.

Martian

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 71chally said:

Superb detail modelling there Tony  -   I just wanna tell you, good luck, we're all counting on you

A surprise engine reveal on a Shackleton not on the cards then? :whistle::D

18 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

That joke was so corny I had to "like£ the post so that I could "unlike" it! Fortunately your modelling is better than you jokes so I could actually "like" your last post.

Huh. A likely story! :footy:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Dear baron,

Many thanks for the adress, I'll look to see if they send it over channel.

Wonderfull welding , I never tried this but it seem clean when finished.

Congratulations, I follow this post, useful for my own 1/48 Barracuda.

The 1600lb AP bomb does exist at 1/48, on an armament set from accurate miniatures, perhaps at 1/72 too ??

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp.

2 hours ago, TheBaron said:

A surprise engine reveal on a Shackleton not on the cards then? :whistle::D

Sod that, if you don't mind my saying.  It's going badly enough!

In fact my bench time is very rare at the moment.

I have nothing but admiration for ruining a reasonable kit, and then taking it to another dimension with the work and detail that you are exhibiting here.

Can only echo the above, superb work with all that metal.

Beautiful detailing and quite impressive skill indeed with your soldering, my eyes hurt just thinking about doing 

anything like that...:blink:

Sean

4 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Very impressive. I'm following this closely as I have a nasty feeling there will be some soldering involved in my next project...

Thanks Ian, but if you want to see someone who really knows their soldering stuff, the links that Ced posted to Nigel Heath's soldery earlier in this thread are the bees knees - what you see here is only what I picked up from his metal wonders...

4 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Dear baron,

Many thanks for the adress, I'll look to see if they send it over channel.

Wonderfull welding , I never tried this but it seem clean when finished.

Congratulations, I follow this post, useful for my own 1/48 Barracuda.

The 1600lb AP bomb does exist at 1/48, on an armament set from accurate miniatures, perhaps at 1/72 too ??

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp.

Glad to have helped C-man!  This kit handily comes handily supplied with the AP bomb as an option. I noticed there was some additional (Pavia?) AM stuff for depth charge options as well knocking around a while back.

1 hour ago, 71chally said:

Sod that, if you don't mind my saying.  It's going badly enough!

In fact my bench time is very rare at the moment.

I have nothing but admiration for ruining a reasonable kit, and then taking it to another dimension with the work and detail that you are exhibiting here.

Can only echo the above, superb work with all that metal.

Grieved to hear about the lack of time issue James - at least you get to live vicariously through my stumbling around here...

1 hour ago, sean said:

Beautiful detailing and quite impressive skill indeed with your soldering, my eyes hurt just thinking about doing 

anything like that...:blink:

Hi Sean! Funny you mentioning eyes hurting - mine are starting to throb somewhat after today's endeavours...:banghead:

To end off a rather busy Saturday, just a little more activity to report. Firstly a note of caution. If (as I have) you're going down that whole firewall route for the rear of the engine, be conscious that the cockpit floor that extends for'ard of the rudder pedals is too long. You need to reduce it back by a few mm:

31142468941_94e62d9657_c.jpg

You can see the fit issue below now that'sbeen corrected:

30449235853_6aab4370fa_c.jpg

Without a trim you can see there's no room for the firewall, even using thinner plasticard. I've glued the rudder pedals back on since taking this shot.

Next up, some pipes and wires on the firewall itself.

30449233233_1a819e3d1e_c.jpg

5 amp fuse wire wound round 15 amp.

30449234453_70519ae133_c.jpg

I've no idea what any of those pipes and cables are. Doubtless Crisp could tell you by touch alone but without a maintenance manual, I'm just emulating what I see in photos.

31142466821_ce83f46711_c.jpg

Of course you'll only get an overhead oblique view of this when the engine bay's finally closed-up, but being a Britmodeller it's important to lavish detail on the invisible, isn't it?:coolio:

That's your lot you lot. Have good evenings all of you!

:bye:Tony

Edited by TheBaron
  • Like 12

13 hours ago, CedB said:

Crikey, what a day... soldering engine mounts and then making pipes. Nice work Tony, looks great. 

1 hour ago, woody37 said:

Wow, never seen them scratch built at this scale before and they look great, hats off :)

36 minutes ago, Phil Lewis said:

Brilliant stuff. I'm getting an education in quality scratch built engine mounts :thumbsup:

A master class in 'don't give up'.

Thanks Ced, Woody and Phil. :thumbsup2:

Today's bench time has been essentially a proving-ground session, to see if things fit as they should when closed-up. I've checked the various cockpit elements previously and they're all shaped and ready to go now, with no remaining issues stopping the fuselage from closing-up correctly. What I wanted to reassure myself over this morning was the big question - does all this additional stuff for'ard of the cockpit actually fit as intended, given the limited internal space?

31271141155_bd00ec0b5a_c.jpg

In short, it does: but you can see what a damn close-run thing it is where the plastic exhaust elements start to close inwards towards the front.

31156213591_833ba6d410_c.jpg

The eagle-eyed amongst you can see there's still at thick-ish cross-section at the front of the exhaust channels - you'd be advised leaving them like that so that there's sufficient surface area to glue the front of the nose on later (you can see what I mean in the dry fit below).

31271142455_5d31b9e907_c.jpg

I just noticed there's a bit of cowling still to pare back there on the port side behind the engine. Aren't close-ups great for magnifying flaws in your technique? :banghead:

31156214621_862d6ee978_c.jpg

This all still at the dry-fit stage, except for gluing the lower firewall to the port side of the fuselage. As there'll be some strain on this element (due to the weight of the engine) I added a plastic strip at the rear of the join to increase the total gluing surface, plus the semi-cicular section that forms the top of the firewall can act as a brace to stop it tipping forwards from the top, when installed later. I've used poly cement to glue the firewall on so that there's time enough for the expected wiggling around in three-dimensions to get everything squared-up correctly.

31156216061_6c64604705_c.jpg

You can see the nose-fairing I was talking about earlier that will need to be glued onto the exhaust channels. This also reminds me that there's still that trio of  engine and oil rads to build for the lower part of that opening.

31271144635_8ce3987b1e_c.jpg

I'm pleasantly surprised that things seems to fit so well from firewall to prop hub where it goes through the fairing at the front: that was a key dimension I kept paranoically checking throughout this part of the build, so I'd recommend planned-paranoia to anyone else attempting this face of the Eiger.

31271139155_3afaa8b451_c.jpg

Looking properly busy under there now....

Just to finish-off today's installment, I've shaped-out the lunette section for the top of the firewall.

31156212431_7243c20931_c.jpg

It's been test-fitted for size and angle, but I want to let the glue on the lower firewall have a good long time to cure before disassembling this test-fit and adding any more detail.

I'll be grabbing time during the week whenever I can as between now and the Christmas break will be the organizational equivalent of Poe's Descent into the Maelstrom.

If you're tucking into Sunday lunch in a bit, have an extra roast spud on me...

:bye: Tony

• Like 14

On 25/11/2016 at 5:41 AM, TheBaron said:

That's not going to droop anytime soon, even carrying the heavy metal:

Agreed. It's what my urologist said at my last review, and he's right every time :) .

Moreover everything looks stable forward of the truss.

He said that too :D .

---------

With your rods stuffed up, your Creme Broulee flame thrower, the fiery delights of your flux capacitors and your wire nerdling, it has all come together wonderfully.

Very tasty in fact.

https://youtu.be/ZPz7FP15OCs

Unbelievable detail at 1/72. I have to keep adjusting the screen zoom to remind myself how small this is.

The best truss work I've seen in years :thumbsup2: 

;) 

ATB

TonyT

• Like 5