In the Navy Chat

rob85

With the a Panther progressing nicely I had a look in the stash to see what else I can build in the GB, and this caught my eye:

49578122552_c551574fa3_b.jpg

I have ordered some resin engines and cockpit as well as a mask set from Hannants, if these arrive on time I have some CTA decals to allow me to build an RAN S-2E.

AW

• Like 7

On 2/19/2020 at 5:59 PM, JOCKNEY said:

Great choices @825 although I have to say the person who did the Martlet artwork is much better and drawing planes  than cars !

Cheers Pat

May be down to perspective but the roundels on the box appear to be out of register - hope the decs are better!

Pete

7 hours ago, Andwil said:

With the a Panther progressing nicely I had a look in the stash to see what else I can build in the GB, and this caught my eye:

49578122552_c551574fa3_b.jpg

I have ordered some resin engines and cockpit as well as a mask set from Hannants, if these arrive on time I have some CTA decals to allow me to build an RAN S-2E.

AW

Now that's another kit I always fancied building buy never did , though I did build the Hawkeye - I will watch with interest. Can't remember - did they ever do a Tracer, or was it just a conversion in a mag I remember?

Pete

4 hours ago, PeterB said:

Now that's another kit I always fancied building buy never did , though I did build the Hawkeye - I will watch with interest. Can't remember - did they ever do a Tracer, or was it just a conversion in a mag I remember?

Pete

The Tracer has been done by Mach2, RVHP (conversion I think) and there is a Tasman Vacform converson as well, I have the vac conversion in the stash but not enough Tracker kits at the moment!

9 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Do you have the S-2E/G conversion? The fuselage of the E had a plug behind the cockpit, about 1cm long in 1/72 scale

165692-11185-pristine.jpg

Hmmm, looks like the Tracker might be a non starter.

AW

Well the luck was with me on the Matchbox Helldiver a late counter bid pushed the price to a whopping  £5:50,kit looks good in the sellers photo

Japanese instructions and rub down transfers unusual but I have spares,if the Prowler comes my way I'll see which would suit the GB better,build

time wise.

• Like 2

I'd like to make a late entry into this GB if that's alright? At first I thought I actually had no qualifying kit at all, until I noticed the Revell (Hasegawa) Dassault Falcon 10 that comes with markings for the French Navy's 10MER version. However, as I have a weird 1985 to 1990 time frame for my builds, I was discouraged by the kit markings dated as 2003. After some quick research I learnt that the numbers changed from 'blocky' to rounded in 1994/5, but that Hasegawa had issued a boxing with the 'blocky' numbers. Amazingly, I found one on line and if I can flog my Revell kit, I shouldn't be much out of pocket and will have my preferred decals. I've already picked up the paints and this will be my first foray into using Mr Color lacquer paints. Scary! Anyway, as soon as the kit arrives, I'll start a build log.

• Like 3

Slight change of plans, at least to begin with.  With the blessing of @rob85, I'll have a WIP F-8E from VF-162 entering the pattern for a trap.  It was first started in 7 years ago...so this one has been a long time coming.  If I can get this out of the way, I'd like to sneak a floaty thing in with a bit of luck.

• Like 2

...there's this sirens voice that keeps calling me from within the stash......and the temptation is great! :D

It looks like i'll be laid up at home for a bit in the coming weeks so may have to be seduced by the siren!! In this Case may resin 1/32nd Avenger! 

IMG_4167-M.jpg

No guarantee I'll finish her but I really do want to build her.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

Please do!

Hope you're not feeling too rough?

Cheers,

Stew

nah nothing too bad, have to have a Hernia op soon, so will be milking it for the full 6 weeks if I can! :D

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, helios16v said:

Sounds like lots of bench time!

1. Absolutely Rich will be in the Gym for hours Bench pressing weights working on his Abs.

Look forward to seeing the fighting fit toned Rich after your period of recovery.

or

2. Alternatively it will be lots of modelling with Mrs Trickyrich keeping him supplied with cold tinnies from the fridge !

Vote now 😁

ps Speedy recovery mate

• Haha 6

Actually I have, for now, changed my mind on the Avenger! Spent a couple of hours going over her the other day and while it’s a perfectly buildable model it’s going to take a fair bit of time to sort out nicely. Plus I’m have trouble sourcing some extra bits I want.

Plus I’m looking at back dating it to a TBF/M-1C so needed to do more research, so for now she’s unfortunately on hold.

So the backup for the moment will be a Rafael M in Tiger Meet scheme. Have ordered all the bits for it, so she’s a goer. I’ll start major time on the Superbug on the weekend as well.

• Like 1

Hello all. I am almost ready to join in this GB. My planned project is to build the USCG Lake Class Cutter. I am tempted with 'Itasca' due to its history with the ill-fated flight of Amelia Earhart (it had one of the last radio comms with Amelia, and was heavily involved with the subsequent search. I will be using the White Ensign 1/700 kit which is resin, etch and brass rod.

Can I please confirm that the US Coastguard would qualify as a Navy? If not, I can build it at HMS Gorleston or HMS Fishguard (but I quite like the White, Coastguard Spar, Black and Teak scheme).

Hope to join you soon!

Ray

• Like 2

On 3/1/2020 at 4:51 PM, Ray S said:

Hello all. I am almost ready to join in this GB. My planned project is to build the USCG Lake Class Cutter. I am tempted with 'Itasca' due to its history with the ill-fated flight of Amelia Earhart (it had one of the last radio comms with Amelia, and was heavily involved with the subsequent search. I will be using the White Ensign 1/700 kit which is resin, etch and brass rod.

Can I please confirm that the US Coastguard would qualify as a Navy? If not, I can build it at HMS Gorleston or HMS Fishguard (but I quite like the White, Coastguard Spar, Black and Teak scheme).

Hope to join you soon!

Ray

Now the answer to this question depends on the year in which you want to do this boat?

Rob

Ignore that last, the Itasca is the Gorleston! Didn’t know that! It was the Itasca in coastguard service then decommissioned and given to the RN for anti sub stuff. 

so as Itasca no, as it was never under navy command. Coastguard were only put under navy command at times of war, they are their own command outside of that.

Rob

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, rob85 said:

Ignore that last, the Itasca is the Gorleston! Didn’t know that! It was the Itasca in coastguard service then decommissioned and given to the RN for anti sub stuff. 

so as Itasca no, as it was never under navy command. Coastguard were only put under navy command at times of war, they are their own command outside of that.

Rob

Okie Dokie @rob85, I was not quite sure whether the Coast Guard was Navy or not!

I will try and do Gorleston, but my kit will need modification. I have got the Gorleston instructions downloaded so I know roughly what I need to do - two or three superstructure parts, depth charges (etch rails are supplied) depth charge throwers, different ship's boats but hopefully should be do-able! 

Thanks for the clarification, I will start soon!

All the best, Ray

• Like 1

21 hours ago, rob85 said:

Rob

The things you learn, now I understand how so many landing craft in WW2 were USCG crewed.

Many moons ago I started a Gannet COD HERE would this be eligible and if so can the thread be moved or shall I start a new one?  I've also found my submarine box and as they are severely underrepresented I'll make a choice.

My original 2CV idea has been thwarted as I have been able to find it in the stash. But I did find the Gannet. 

4 hours ago, SleeperService said:

The things you learn, now I understand how so many landing craft in WW2 were USCG crewed.

Many moons ago I started a Gannet COD HERE would this be eligible and if so can the thread be moved or shall I start a new one?  I've also found my submarine box and as they are severely underrepresented I'll make a choice.

My original 2CV idea has been thwarted as I have been able to find it in the stash. But I did find the Gannet. 

Yeah that looks pretty eligible to me! Bring it along. Just start a new thread I would with a link to the old one. Also the sub is very welcome!

Shame about the 2cv that would gave been fun.

Rob

• Thanks 1