In the Navy Chat

rob85

20 hours ago, Ted said:

My question was about who commanded the squadrons on the Western front, wasn't sure if it was the Navy or RFC. But Wikipedia comes through with an answer:  "On 1 August 1915 the Royal Naval Air Service officially came under the control of the Royal Navy."

If it's not too late I'll join in with a Sopwith Camel.

I have not long finished an Airfix 2F.1 Camel...more rigging than HMS Victory!

• Thanks 1

Mmm, it gets complicated

On 19/03/2020 at 19:40, Ted said:

My question was about who commanded the squadrons on the Western front, wasn't sure if it was the Navy or RFC. But Wikipedia comes through with an answer:  "On 1 August 1915 the Royal Naval Air Service officially came under the control of the Royal Navy."

If it's not too late I'll join in with a Sopwith Camel.

On April 1, 1918, the Royal Air Force (RAF) is formed with the amalgamation of the Royal Flying Corps (RFC) and the Royal Naval Air Service (RNAS). The RAF took its place beside the British navy and army as a separate military service with its own ministry.

Source: https://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/raf-founded

Britmodeller even had an RAF Centenery GB

On the plus side, the RNAS squadrons flew Camels in 1917, took them into the new service, and continued to work closely with the senior service.

• Like 1

I have a question for the GB runner. I have a 1/700 ship, a reasonably complex kit (it's a WW2 Japanese light cruiser). This one:

Public domain image via wiki:

800px-IJN_Natori_in_1922_off_Nagasaki.jp

Before I left China to move to DC I spray-painted all the sprues grey and I painted the main deck brown. Other than that I haven't done anything, not even removed any parts from the sprues. In terms of time spent on the kit it would be well under 25% of the total build. But, it is more or less painted.

So I leave it to your judgement either way.

thanks!

• Like 2

16 hours ago, bianfuxia said:

I have a question for the GB runner. I have a 1/700 ship, a reasonably complex kit (it's a WW2 Japanese light cruiser). This one:

Public domain image via wiki:

800px-IJN_Natori_in_1922_off_Nagasaki.jp

Before I left China to move to DC I spray-painted all the sprues grey and I painted the main deck brown. Other than that I haven't done anything, not even removed any parts from the sprues. In terms of time spent on the kit it would be well under 25% of the total build. But, it is more or less painted.

So I leave it to your judgement either way.

thanks!

Having started HMS Belfast I can agree this is small fry in comparison to the rest of the work you have to do! So well below the 25%.

so please open a thread and crack on! 

hope your nice and settled in DC now.

Rob

• Like 1

I noticed an Esci 1/48 Fury getting no attention on E-bay at £7 stuck in a daft bid and no one else waded in so got it,hopefully as its still sealed the

decals will be fine be nice to round off this GB with it.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, rob85 said:

Having started HMS Belfast I can agree this is small fry in comparison to the rest of the work you have to do! So well below the 25%.

so please open a thread and crack on! 

hope your nice and settled in DC now.

Rob

Thanks! 

• Like 1

HI @rob85 I thought that I had said I’m in, can’t remember, but I appear to have lots of time on my hands now so as all days are blurring into one and weekends and weekdays are all the same... So, is it too late to join the party? If I hadn’t said I would be here already?

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Mark said:

HI @rob85 I thought that I had said I’m in, can’t remember, but I appear to have lots of time on my hands now so as all days are blurring into one and weekends and weekdays are all the same... So, is it too late to join the party? If I hadn’t said I would be here already?

No problem join in! You have until 7th June, so we might all be back at work by then!

Rob

Brilliant! Cheers Rob. I’ll search through the stash tomorrow for something suitable from Her Majesty’s Royal Navy. 😊

• Like 1

Subject to the availability of paint and me getting my Lancaster finished in time I may wade in with my Dragon Sea Vixen. Already got a new nose and some bigger ejector seats. The only things stopping are the correct shade of grey, a half built Lancaster and being dead ;-).

• Like 2

My P-51 is in the final stages of decal settling, so I'll join with a Flagship Models 1/72 USS ALLIGATOR. This was the first known US Navy submarine, built and lost in the US Civil War.

• Like 4

Wow, I feel I haven’t paid enough attention of late. With work then no work but shepherding the two little ones, I feel I’ve been neglectful! Add to that the volume of so many great builds and so many recent finishes, I need to apologise.

we have completed sub, ships, planes and so much more in the pipe line from all of you! And such a great standard!

thank you for all plugging on with your builds and that this, I hope, is filling any spare time/relaxing your stressed and worried minds if that’s what you have.

i need to update my barracuda post as work has progresses, but is painful! I did however Finnish my gladiator for the Norse GB (see what I did there) so will update that first.

again thank you for so many great builds and if I haven’t been attentive enough I will endeavour to fix that.

Rob

• Like 2

Help!

What colour scheme is this?   I originally thought it was a hard-edged version of the TPS scheme, but now I'm starting to wonder if it is light gull grey with dark gull grey uppersurfaces.

spacer.png

Photo from Wikipedia

8 minutes ago, Cookenbacher said:

@Tony Oliver will know, but I think that's a Medium Grey scheme FS 35237, it's actually a blue.

I'm having problems matching paints to the TPS scheme.   I'm currently working with Vallejo 71.114 as a match for 35237.   Vallejo 71.120 could be a match for 36320, but I have two bottles of that paint that are completely different colours.  One is very much more blue than the other.

For 36375 I'm currently looking at Lifecolor UA-026, but this is a neutral grey, while the Vallejo 36320 is darker but more blue.

I'd really like to get these colours right as eventually I want to build an early F-15A in the ghost greys scheme. 

Another problem is the light that the photo is taken in.  Sometimes the scheme looks grey.  sometimes it looks blue.

And yes, I realise that this is a :worms:

50 minutes ago, Cookenbacher said:

@Tony Oliver will know, but I think that's a Medium Grey scheme FS 35237, it's actually a blue.

Yeah mate I reckon that non standard scheme is 35237 over 36375. 

@Enzo Matrix I found the vallejo TPS greys very dark, esp in 1/72. 

When I used them on a tps tomcat I used colours one place lighter than normal. I cant remember their Vallejo code numbers but it was from the US greys model air set. 

I used the 36495 underneath as the 36375.

I used the 36375 as the 36320 for the sides. 
And then I used 36320 instead of 35237 on the top. 
So all one shade lighter. 

Hope that helps. 

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

We're on the same page.  I have that sheet in my hand, but in 1/72 .

Awesome. I think that their instructions with dark ghost lowers and meduim grey top wont give the contrast we are seeing in the picture. Which is why I suggested light ghost lowers. 

• Like 1

OK looking at joining this, I have an F-4S in 1/72 that can be built as USN or USMC, same with an F5E....my question is, do Marines count as Navy (The US Marines would probably kill anyone calling them Navy!), whereas our illustrious Royal Marines are actually in the Royal Navy (being an ex Paratrooper I used to love reminding my poor younger bruv who was in the RM that it said so on hi ID Card and he was in effect, a Royal Navy security guard!!!).

I could build the USN F-4S if the USMC version is not allowed, its in a rather handsome Heater-Ferris scheme.

I also have an Airfix Sea Harrier FA 2 in 1/72.

I am not really a 1/72 builder but have them in the stash and now I am back modelling after 2 years I thought it could be fun...

z7Q1HnY.jpg

HCzc2AC.jpg

Also have a 1/72 Hawk that I could do in RN 736NAS colours if I got the decals...choices choices...

• Like 4

Hi guys, can I join the fun with a Marineflieger Tornado? Something like this: 

Tornado IDS MFG2

I think I'll use the Revell 1/48 kit, it is about time I stopped looking at the box and built one!

Cheers,

David 

Edited by mirageiv
  • Like 2