In the Navy Chat

rob85

18 hours ago, Worms said:

Modelling tools all ready...going ultra fine with this effort!

Gidday Worms, you call that a modeling tool kit? Where's the 9-inch angle grinder, the blow torch, the 6-foot crow bar?   😁   At least you've got the chain saw. Sharp, I hope.

Looking forward to seeing what you do with these. Regards, Jeff.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday Worms, you call that a modeling tool kit? Where's the 9-inch angle grinder, the blow torch, the 6-foot crow bar?   😁   At least you've got the chain saw. Sharp, I hope.

Looking forward to seeing what you do with these. Regards, Jeff.

They're in the back of the Land Rover...and it's chucking it down with rain out there...I do have the 3' bolt croppers for removing parts from the sprues in the house though! 😉

• Haha 4

On 14/02/2020 at 19:14, bootneck said:

It looks like I still have a day to decide and it will be a choice between HMS Victorious, post 1958 rebuild, or HMS Ark Royal IV, post 1970 rebuild: when they had full angled-decks fitted.   So, it's going to be Sea Vixens vs Phantoms at the moment! :undecided:

On 14/02/2020 at 19:21, Enzo Matrix said:

Do you really want me to say it?!?!?  :wicked:  

OK, so Victorious it is then.

only joking....  :giggle:  I shall make an attempt of the Ark.

Mike

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bootneck said:

OK, so Victorious it is then.

only joking....  :giggle:  I shall make an attempt of the Ark.

Mike

Mike with the amount of wind and rain hitting the West coast of Scotland at the moment lots of us are building our owns Arks just to be on the safe side !

cheers Pat 

• Haha 5

22 hours ago, Worms said:

They're in the back of the Land Rover...and it's chucking it down with rain out there...I do have the 3' bolt croppers for removing parts from the sprues in the house though! 😉

And you need them...it's hard plastic on KGV...I suppose they needed it to get the relatively fine detail on the model...

2 hours ago, rob85 said:

I have my own dock in the garden now!

KEQgg72.jpg

I hope your goldfish find their way home Rob, with any luck they may have been upgraded to Koi carp when the tide goes out !

Seriously i hope the house is ok mate

cheers Pat 

• Thanks 1

I just dug out an old Monogram USS Kitty Hawk (CV-63) that I'm having half a notion to attempt to mod to reflect service in the mid 90s (I deployed with her in 96-97).  Most of the changes will likely be surrounding all the aerials off the bridge, though I honestly haven't even started researching what all has changed yet.  Probably going to attempt adding the hangar bays as well, though they will likely be simplified.  Still undecided on doing it full hull, or chopping and doing a waterline on a base w/ attempted water.

The expensive bit will be updating the aircraft, as the kit comes with an air wing from the '60/70s (Vietnam era).  But I did at least find the correct aircraft at Shapeways should I choose to go that route.  I may look at building the ship, leave the top deck loose, then if it turns out well enough, start adding the aircraft (full complement) over time. 

• Like 5

Hi all,

I have the 1/32 nd Trumpeter Hellcat N .

I've been looking to do something different with it,and found this.

Could I build such a Hellcat using that kit ? (leaving out the radar and guns )

Any other differances ?

Are they target tugs ?

1892a85eb435cd21df5ac48e1543a459.jpg

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/296745062939561820/

Edited by Erwin
  • Like 3

The red Hellcats were retired line aircraft that were refitted as radio controlled drones by the USN to be utilized for targeting practice.  Though some were utilized in combat in Korea in 1-way missions w/ limited success.  

Edited by helios16v
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, helios16v said:

The red Hellcats were retired line aircraft that were refitted as radio controlled drones by the USN to be utilized for targeting practice.  Though some were utilized in combat in Korea in 1-way missions w/ limited success.  

@Erwin, I’m  with him, to my knowledge the kit without the bits you have said above should be all good as the rest of the mods were internal.

one thing I have noticed a lack of, which I’m surprised by, is Corsairs, as in F4U... are people saving these for the STGB? (I have three which I am)

Rob

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rob85 said:

@Erwin, I’m  with him, to my knowledge the kit without the bits you have said above should be all good as the rest of the mods were internal.

one thing I have noticed a lack of, which I’m surprised by, is Corsairs, as in F4U... are people saving these for the STGB? (I have three which I am)

Rob

OK. That's a possible Hellcat .

It does look that they had a different type of antenna on the fin and a higher tail wheel .

I might decide to build this.But maybe with the less detailed 1/32 nd Hasegawa kit.

There are two big conventions next month in Belgium to find one cheap.

ee09fb6bdf2768b7a43f2f81b3455019.jpg

I must admitt that I'm also holding back my 1/32 nd Revell Corsair for the STGB.

Edited by Erwin
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, rob85 said:

Rob

I have two Tamiya 1/48 Corsairs, one of which the old Birdcage variant, and they were my original plan before I remembered I had the Nelson in the stash. Now, they're being held in reserve should my stupidity overcome me and I need to pretend the attempt at Nelson never happened 😆

Nobody told me there was an STGB, I'm totally innocent!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, rob85 said:

Rob

Saving mine for the STGB.  Fulmar and Skua for this GB..

• Like 2

I'll be joining in soon with an eclectic pair. I picked up HMS Victory. Lidl for £4 earlier this year and although it's old I thought why not, it's only got 19 pieces and the box comes with all the paints needed pretty much, along with a brush and some glue. 825 junior graduated from Portsmouth University las t year and we have a soft spot for HMS Victory's home port

resized_40bcc6fc-5b9d-4b22-9f01-f4819800

This is more challenging proposition all together being short run, loads of etch, resin and vac form canopies. But this one goes the other direction as my dad worked on them when he was in the Navy. So number 2 will be Valom's Firebrand. 

resized_516ffd03-d30c-4e08-a6cb-68b649b7

If time time permits then I'll do a Martlet, possibly this one in a Royal Navy livery. 

resized_6316b75a-4c74-4ada-bc33-88f43696

• Like 5

On 19/02/2020 at 17:20, 825 said:

This is more challenging proposition all together being short run, loads of etch, resin and vac form canopies. But this one goes the other direction as my dad worked on them when he was in the Navy. So number 2 will be Valom's Firebrand. 

resized_516ffd03-d30c-4e08-a6cb-68b649b7

I've been considering this myself if I have the time.  I hope I do then we can have two Firebrands in this GB.  :thumbsup:

• Like 2

So far so good with the Corsairs progressing nicely and the temptation to tinker with the others being held at bay,if my plan works for one a month I

may  have time for more, I have "irons in the fire" we may see a Matchbox second generation Helldiver or their Prowler.

• Like 2