In the Navy Chat

rob85

1 hour ago, Tony Oliver said:

Yeah but that scheme has been done loads so not for me. 
Speaking of vf111, Just took delivery of the 1/72 Furball sundowners anthology and some more new academy 72nd kits. Watch this space... 

Like the VF111 low viz schemes too...

5 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Do it!  Do it!   You know you want to...   :wicked: 

I hate to admit it, but you're right. I do.... 

Must... not... visit... BNA........ (wonder if it would ship in time though 🤔)

4 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

I've already volunteered HMS Renown, a pre-Dreadnought.
I also have a Hunt II destroyer that nobody knows about, 'cause I never said

There is a strong urge to have a go at the Airfix Belfast I have hidden in the wardrobe as well, so if we go mental that would make 273 planes and 6 boats in this build 😆

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Tony Oliver said:

All I know is I want to start another tomcat. Hopefully building to a gb deadline will spur me and help focus instead of dabbling with so many all at once. 

Which kit to start and then which scheme to choose is the main thing I’m struggling with. 1st world problems hey! 

I did see your name pop up and thought ‘tomcat’ before reading your post, good to have you along.

6 hours ago, Paul Bradley said:

Am I the only person planning on doing an actual ship...? 😛🤣😉

I am also building a floaty thing, HMS Belfast. the last time I built a boat I was 12, it was the Cutty sark and I built it with no paint just glued it... then left it on my window sill by an open window... the sails worked. Belfast doesn’t have sails and I work in a basement, I’m hoping for a better result.

Rob

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

52 minutes ago, Worms said:

....and just in case I can't summon up the courage to build a ship, would a Mk ii Gloster Gladiator converted to sea gladiator,  back converted to one of the Malta 3 be acceptable?

Well I don’t know as it escapes me as to who commanded the Malta flight gladiators, which I’m disappointed by as it’s normally something I know a lot about.

Rob

• Like 1

The Hal Far Fighter Flight appears to be stationed at a base that was both RAF (to be fair I thought it was just naval but I think I’m confusing it with the flying boat base that was further north) and FAA run. The flight doesn’t appear to have a direct command to anyone (unless anyone knows better.... @tonyot) and was made up of volunteers (?) including FFA pilots.... so I’m confused.... a sea gladiator flown by someone from the FFA sure sounds pretty navy to me!

Rob

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, rob85 said:

The Hal Far Fighter Flight appears to be stationed at a base that was both RAF (to be fair I thought it was just naval but I think I’m confusing it with the flying boat base that was further north) and FAA run. The flight doesn’t appear to have a direct command to anyone (unless anyone knows better.... @tonyot) and was made up of volunteers (?) including FFA pilots.... so I’m confused.... a sea gladiator flown by someone from the FFA sure sounds pretty navy to me!

Rob

That's what I thought 😉

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NotDaMama said:

so if we go mental that would make 273 planes and 6 boats in this build 

Ships, not boats! 😁

Gidday All, six ships is a nice even rounded number. We can't have that! May I jump on board, with another ship? It will most likely be in 1/600 or 1/700 but I haven't decided which ship to do yet. I have one or two (dozen) in the stash. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, rob85 said:

Rob

Hiya Rob,...... Hal Far was a mixed RAF/RN airfield as far as I can gather as until Ta Kali (a civil airfield) and Luqa were put into operation in 1940/41 it was the only military airfield in Malta. The Hal Far Fighter Flight was an RAF unit..... manned by volunteer pilots who were stationed in Malta,.... most from staff positions such as the ADC to the Air Officer Commanding Malta and the target facilities flight.  The aircraft were 18 x RN Sea Gladiator`s which had been put ashore by the carrier HMS Glorious to act as spares while she was serving in the Med. After four had been erected from their crates,...... the RN found out and ordered them to be re packed again! Some were sent to Egypt and others went back aboard HMS Glorious when she was ordered away from the Med for operations off Norway.,.. but some remained in Malta and when Admiral Cunningham was approached by the AOC Malta an agreement was made to again unpack four aircraft from the remaining fighters and let the RAF use them. From memory I think 6 were erected,...... three would fly together on ops,.....another would be the immediate spare,..... while the rest were back up spares and the aircraft still in their cases acted as a source of spares,.... which could be erected and put into operation if needed to replace any that were lost.

Soon Hurricane`s arrived in Malta to supplement the Sea Gladiators,..... the Hal Far Fighter Flight was joined by 418 Flight and after more Hurricane`s arrived the units combined to became 261 Sqn. Many people think that 1435 Flight  was the unit that operated the Sea Gladiators but this is incorrect,......it was actually a night fighter flight formed with Hurricanes,.... which later expanded to become 1435 Sqn,.... the only 4 digit RAF flying squadron! 

This is all off the top of my head,.... if you want serials, dates etc I`d have to consult my notes and books, 

All the best,

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, tonyot said:

Hiya Rob,...... Hal Far was a mixed RAF/RN airfield as far as I can gather as until Ta Kali (a civil airfield) and Luqa were put into operation in 1940/41 it was the only military airfield in Malta. The Hal Far Fighter Flight was an RAF unit..... manned by volunteer pilots who were stationed in Malta,.... most from staff positions such as the ADC to the Air Officer Commanding Malta and the target facilities flight.  The aircraft were 18 x RN Sea Gladiator`s which had been put ashore by the carrier HMS Glorious to act as spares while she was serving in the Med. After four had been erected from their crates,...... the RN found out and ordered them to be re packed again! Some were sent to Egypt and others went back aboard HMS Glorious when she was ordered away from the Med for operations off Norway.,.. but some remained in Malta and when Admiral Cunningham was approached by the AOC Malta an agreement was made to again unpack four aircraft from the remaining fighters and let the RAF use them. From memory I think 6 were erected,...... three would fly together on ops,.....another would be the immediate spare,..... while the rest were back up spares and the aircraft still in their cases acted as a source of spares,.... which could be erected and put into operation if needed to replace any that were lost.

Soon Hurricane`s arrived in Malta to supplement the Sea Gladiators,..... the Hal Far Fighter Flight was joined by 418 Flight and after more Hurricane`s arrived the units combined to became 261 Sqn. Many people think that 1435 Flight  was the unit that operated the Sea Gladiators but this is incorrect,......it was actually a night fighter flight formed with Hurricanes,.... which later expanded to become 1435 Sqn,.... the only 4 digit RAF flying squadron! 

This is all off the top of my head,.... if you want serials, dates etc I`d have to consult my notes and books, 

All the best,

Tony

As ever fantastic info Tony! Thank you!

so they were navy aircraft, that were authorised to be used by the flight by the great ABC. Sounds good to me!

Rob

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Paul Bradley said:

Am I the only person planning on doing an actual ship...? 😛🤣😉

Well I have Heller's 1/400 Foch sitting unloved in the corner Paul it was going to be in a previous GB but sank without trace!

• Like 2

I recently bought the Kindle version of. 806 Naval Air Squadron, The FAA’s Top Scoring Squadron of WWII by Brian Cull & Fredrick Galea (2019).  

Happily for me it has coughed up identities of Fairey Fulmars for Bill Barnes and Jackie Sewell two of the highest scoring Royal Navy Aces of WWII.  

My big decision then, is to either build both Fulmars in this GB and a Skua in the MTO GB or build a Fulmar and Skua in this GB and a Fulmar in the MTO GB....  

First world problem huh!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Grey Beema said:

I recently bought the Kindle version of. 806 Naval Air Squadron, The FAA’s Top Scoring Squadron of WWII by Brian Cull & Fredrick Galea (2019).  

Happily for me it has coughed up identities of Fairey Fulmars for Bill Barnes and Jackie Sewell two of the highest scoring Royal Navy Aces of WWII.  

My big decision then, is to either build both Fulmars in this GB and a Skua in the MTO GB or build a Fulmar and Skua in this GB and a Fulmar in the MTO GB....  

First world problem huh!

My vote would be for a Fulmar & Skua in this and Fulmar in the MTO. But that’s just me! Nice choices though!

Rob

5 hours ago, Grey Beema said:

Build both Fulmars and a Skua in this GB.  Then get some more fulmars and Skuas for the MTO GB. :wicked: 

• Haha 3

I had more ambitious plans, for this GB, but given my current progress, I'm thinking of Revell 1/144 F-14A and F-14D using Fightertown's markings for VF-1 and VF-31.

Another possibility are Hasegawa's Grumman Egg Planes, A-6, F-14, and TBF.

• Like 1

Just come across this the other day...... shame as I`ve recently started a Fleet Air Arm Buffalo! It would be rude not to get involved mind you!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, tonyot said:

Just come across this the other day...... shame as I`ve recently started a Fleet Air Arm Buffalo! It would be rude not to get involved mind you!

Cheers

Tony

I have to do Lt Rupert Brabner’s Fulmar at some point (need to build Barnes and Sewell first though), he led the Buffalo flight in Create I think...

• Like 2

You guys are killing me with all these GB's!   Guess I can't stop myself but I am going to enter with.................

1/48 Hasegawa F6F-3

CAM Decals (not sure which bird yet)

True Details Cockpit

Ultracast Wheels

I have the Cutting Edge corrected cowl, but one bird that is a possibility has the later cowl, so I'd have to cut off the lower open cowl flap and fill it and rescribe...........so we will see on that one.

Not sure how much I will do early on.  Would like to finish my two kits for the P-51 STGB before I start.  Plus I am off to Spain for a week of vaca.  But I'll start posting as I accomplish something.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LDSModeller said:

Hi All (read GB Mods @rob85),

This crept upon me, so a bit late signing up, but may I enter this GB please?

This would be my build choice with your consent

F2A2+Box+art+copy.jpg

Thanks

Alan

And a fine choice it is, welcome aboard 

Rob

• Thanks 1

I'm still not completely decided on what to build, only that I want to get at least 2 or 3 done in this GB. Might be challenging with the Lanc STGB at the same time, but will give it a go. First two, in no particular order, will be a 1/48 Hunter T.8 (Airfix with Aerocraft conversion) and a US Navy A-4C in Naval Air Test Center colours. After that, who knows, the shortlist is 25 kits long but includes an F-8, more Skyhawks, a C-9 Nightingale and an EAV-8B to start with.

• Like 1