In the Navy Chat

rob85

I have a Hasegawa F9-F Panther that I was planning on building once I’d finished the two Mustangs in the Mustang STGB, so I’ll include it here.

AW

• Like 2

I currently got Hase's F-14B/D Low-vis boxing and is looking forward to get Hobby Boss F-14D just so I can use the hi-vis VF-2 OIF scheme on Hase's kit, while possibly doing the low-vis one on HB. Should be interesting...

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Robert Stuart said:

Didn't sign up for this, never built a ship ... just ordered a battle-ship - or was it a yatcht?  🤔 :doh:

What's the point of a groupbuild if it doesn't challenge you in some way?  :)

• Haha 3

22 hours ago, mackem01 said:

OK  so stupid question time - would something interwar FAA count as at the time it was under the control of the RAF?

If it's allowed then I'm in.

What were you looking to build?? It’s called the naval branch of the RAF so would assume your subject is from the 20’s to late 30’s when it’s fully under naval command again.

Rob

On 1/1/2020 at 3:24 PM, mackem01 said:

Your correct Rob - I was thinking Walrus.

Would that be Westland Walrus, or Supermarine Walrus? The Navy operated both but one in the early 1920's and the other the late 1930's.

Pete

Thought it would be a Shagbat, don't think I have ever seen the earlier one modelled, but I guess it could be made as it was basically a modified DH9A. One of the "Fleet Spotter" uglies, though nowhere near as bad as the Blackburn and Bison that followed - they all had a deep fuselage to allow the observer a better view. Always fancied the inter-war planes but the choice has been somewhat limited in 1/72 and I am not a great fan of rigging. There were a few short run kits released, mailnly in the 80's as I recall but I never bothered, which I regret now.

Speaking of uglies, I forgot I had a Fairey Gannet I could enter.

Cheers

Pete

• Like 2

Your quite right Pete, there's a whole treasure of inter-war aircraft waiting for plastic - all it takes is one enterprising company to kit them. I wouldn't mind injection or

vacform as long as they're 48th for my old eyes. The world would be a much nicer place with quarter scale Blackburn Sharks, Fairey IIIF's & Seafoxes, Darts, Baffins, Gauntlets,

Demons, and Horsleys to name but a few. We can dream, can't we.

• Like 2

On 12/24/2019 at 9:42 PM, Worms said:

Experimenting with the Airfix HMS Cossack...if it goes ok I may commit to HMS KGV or HMS Rodney....I'm sure you can see the theme of my stash 😁

That reminds me - if we are including ships I have a 1/700 scale IJN Sendai class light cruiser somewhere in my stash - bought it many years ago to complete my Japanese Cruiser line up (except for the one off Yubari, the "training" cruisers of the Katori Class and the Oyodo, which never did anything of note. Might dig it out as it should only take a couple of days to build (famous last words)!

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

it had two propellors but no wings

Gidday Robert, do bridge wings count? I think it would be an interesting build. She is from an era that doesn't seem to get a lot of attention. Regards, Jeff

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

I suspect a 1/48 DH9a could be converted to a Westland Walrus?

My own project for this GB just arrived - it had two propellors but no wings

ComBrig_Renown.jpg

That’s very cool, something a bit different. I never knew Renown was made in Russia 😃

13 hours ago, PeterB said:

That reminds me - if we are including ships I have a 1/700 scale IJN Sendai class light cruiser somewhere in my stash - bought it many years ago to complete my Japanese Cruiser line up (except for the one off Yubari, the "training" cruisers of the Katori Class and the Oyodo, which never did anything of note. Might dig it out as it should only take a couple of days to build (famous last words)!

Pete

Dig out the boat! It’s ‘in the navy’ after all!

Rob

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday Robert, do bridge wings count? I think it would be an interesting build. She is from an era that doesn't seem to get a lot of attention. Regards, Jeff

Do bridge wings count?

They probably do :)

• Like 2

My recent GB entries have been a disaster all three in the floatplane and three in the P-40 GB's were never completed so I was hoping 2020

would fare better then this morning I lost a bl***y Mustang for the STGB  thanks yet again to the compressor(its a small Revell one) falling off 

the bench,on a more cheery note I got a lovely Revell re-box of the Seafox for a snip on E-bay so I'll build it for this GB in it's pre war silver scheme.

• Like 5