In the Navy Chat

rob85

9 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Hellcat!!!  :yahoo:

Can't go wrong with a Hellcat!

.....sneak attack!!!  

Why were the elephants thrown out of the swimming pool? Because they couldn't hold their trunks up!

:ninja:

• Haha 1

On 12/4/2019 at 4:34 PM, Col. said:

Hmm, Hellcat STGB... :hmmm:

that would definitely reduce my stash, just a shame I would need to wait about 3 years for with the current STGB timetable 😃

On 12/4/2019 at 9:45 PM, FortyEighter said:

The dates don't seem to cross other GBs that I'm interested in, so this could be a good excuse to finally build my Airfix Sea Vixen.

Mike

Big fan of the vixen! No excuse needed to build that, but please if you need one then come along all are welcome 

On 12/4/2019 at 4:44 AM, trickyrich said:

.....sneak attack!!!  

Why were the elephants thrown out of the swimming pool? Because they couldn't hold their trunks up!

:ninja:

You are a true ninja... no one saw that coming 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, rob85 said:

that would definitely reduce my stash, just a shame I would need to wait about 3 years for with the current STGB timetable 😃

Hoping for a slot around mid-2021 if you want to put your name down ;) 

• Thanks 1

What is the host's point of view on this ?

I allways try to build a kit with a slight differance .

I'm thinking of (maybe) building a plane as "display model" left unpainted.

Like the new kits you see at conventions presented for the first time.

It won't have any markings.Maybe just the national markings.

But it would still be a Navy plane.

Is such an entry allowed ?

Like this...

d_new_airfix_grumman_f6f-5_hellcat_annou

Edited by Erwin
  • Like 1

On 12/8/2019 at 10:52 AM, Erwin said:

What is the host's point of view on this ?

I allways try to build a kit with a slight differance .

I'm thinking of (maybe) building a plane as "display model" left unpainted.

Like the new kits you see at conventions presented for the first time.

It won't have any markings.Maybe just the national markings.

But it would still be a Navy plane.

Is such an entry allowed ?

Like this...

d_new_airfix_grumman_f6f-5_hellcat_annou

Ahhh Christ...... I don’t know about that, I like the idea, but don’t feel it’s right for the group build. It is a navy aircraft your right, in fact hasn’t to my knowledge been used by anyone other than navies, I even checked the drone aircraft and they appear to be flown from carriers and were controlled by the USN.... but with out markings it’s not actually a model of and aircraft flown by or under the command of a real world navy, it’s just a model of an aircraft, in my opinion.

however I might be completely unfair in this appraisal? What do others think?

Rob

33 minutes ago, rob85 said:

Ahhh Christ...... I don’t know about that, I like the idea, but don’t feel it’s right for the group build. It is a navy aircraft your right, in fact hasn’t to my knowledge been used by anyone other than navies, I even checked the drone aircraft and they appear to be flown from carriers and were controlled by the USN.... but with out markings it’s not actually a model of and aircraft flown by or under the command of a real world navy, it’s just a model of an aircraft, in my opinion.

Rob

What if @Erwin was to do this idea as a stripping or painting of a plane ? One wing bare plastic, then fuselage half in primer ? Second fuselage half in full color, and opposite wing full color and fully marked ? It would show an evolution of a build from raw plastic through to finished product ? 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, rob85 said:

Rob

Hi,

I fully understand your point of view.

And...it was just an idea.Maybe one day in the regular WIP.

Plenty of other Navy builds I can do.

Edited by Erwin
  • Like 1

I have this 1/32 nd kit in my stach.

It says "Navy Carrier fighter".

But,there's no hook in the kit.

So is this indeed a navy Zero or just a mistake ?

1237026-27767-49-pristine.jpg

Edited by Erwin
  • Like 2

the navy and army both use the same model and from what I have read there was no difference between the aircraft. The arrestor hook was present on both, but it's hidden inside the fuselage and didn't stick out at all. There was a opening in the fuselage for it infront of the tail wheel. There's a slight bump on the underside of the fuselage, almost directly inline with the start of the rudder fairing, which makes the start of the arrestor hook opening.

These early Hasegawa models didn't have the hook included in the model, but there should be slot in the fuselage for it.......maybe.

The big Tamiya model (same as this) does include the hook and markings for both navy and army aircraft. No mention is made about deleting it for the army version.

So you should be fine with this model. Now you just need to work out if it's a 52a, 52b, or 52c

• Like 2

Hello everybody!

Still I have a chance to participate in the group build ? I would probably choose a sea vampire. Regards, Udo.

• Like 4

Hi,

If I exclude my Seafire F47 which will probably go in the Spit/Seafire build, that leaves me with  the Airfix Sea Fury, Firefly and Sea Hawk all in 1/72 and possibly their F4 as well as potential entries - the Buccaneer is earmarked for another GB.  I suppose I could also consider various USN planes such as the Fury 4, Demon, Cutlass, Intruder/Prowler, Tomcat, Skywarrior and Hornet all of which are lurking in my stash. I will have a think about this but I seem to have a god few kits available that should qualify.

Pete

• Like 2

7 hours ago, PeterB said:

Hi,

If I exclude my Seafire F47 which will probably go in the Spit/Seafire build, that leaves me with  the Airfix Sea Fury, Firefly and Sea Hawk all in 1/72 and possibly their F4 as well as potential entries - the Buccaneer is earmarked for another GB.  I suppose I could also consider various USN planes such as the Fury 4, Demon, Cutlass, Intruder/Prowler, Tomcat, Skywarrior and Hornet all of which are lurking in my stash. I will have a think about this but I seem to have a god few kits available that should qualify.

Pete

W.W.E.M.D ;) 

(What Would Enzo Matrix Do) :lol: 

• Haha 4

On 12/12/2019 at 1:58 PM, Worms said:

Now there's a fine excuse to build one of my collection of ships!

Floating things, as the GB name suggests, are most welcome! 

On 12/15/2019 at 2:15 PM, Erwin said:

As @trickyrich said same aircraft so as long as you choose a navy option then all good!

On 12/16/2019 at 10:27 AM, Jabo31 said:

Hello everybody!

Still I have a chance to participate in the group build ? I would probably choose a sea vampire. Regards, Udo.

Indeed come on in, more the merrier

On 12/23/2019 at 12:17 AM, PeterB said:

Hi,

Pete

Build them all

On 12/23/2019 at 7:33 AM, Col. said:

W.W.E.M.D ;) 

(What Would Enzo Matrix Do) :lol: 

Build them all!

I’m off to give more stressed people their turkeys! Merry Christmas all!

Rob

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Stew Dapple said:

I believe that all Zeroes were naval types, whether land or carrier based. I'm pretty sure the Japanese Army didn't use them.

Cheers, Stew

That's my take on it as well. The Navy had naval types such as the A6M while the Army had army types such as the Ki-43 :shrug:

• Like 1

I'm sure this has been asked (but seriously, I'm too lazy right now to check 10 pages for it) but

would US Marines aircraft count? If yes, I have a couple of Marines aircraft on top of my "want to do" list,

so if yes I'd like to join.

Lothar

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/15/2019 at 2:15 PM, Erwin said:

You probably know this already but the hook is recessed into the fuselage and is not that obvious.

zero-crop

But it should be there on all normal Zero kits - not sure about the 2 seat trainer. If not it should be relatively easy to make once you have cut out the recess (if not already there). I see this is the original 1971 boxing and was also released by Frog! The presence of two gun barrels on each wing would seem to suggest it is an A6M5c, the Model 51/51A/51B just having the one cannon and not the extra 13.2mm Type 3 mg. I have not personally come across any reference to the JAAF using the Zero and given the intense rivalry between the Army and Navy it seems unlikely, unless they just "borrowed" some. As far as I am aware the only aircraft they "officially" shared were the Mitsubishi Ki-15/C5M recce plane pre-war and the Ki-61 /Yasukuni bomber later, though I may well be wrong.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 3

I did put my name down but not on the list 😭 so i'll go again 😁. I have numerous in the stash, amongst them in 1:48, a Walrus, Avenger, Gazelle and Sea Vixen are what springs to mind.....🤔 I think an Avenger in FAA colours is favourite! A few weeks left to clear the pile and make way!

Bob

• Like 3

2 hours ago, moaning dolphin said:

I did put my name down but not on the list 😭 so i'll go again 😁. I have numerous in the stash, amongst them in 1:48, a Walrus, Avenger, Gazelle and Sea Vixen are what springs to mind.....🤔 I think an Avenger in FAA colours is favourite! A few weeks left to clear the pile and make way!

Bob

I bob! Sorry I didn’t put you down, I deleted the original list and had to re do it so may have missed you. Avenger definitely gets my vote!

3 hours ago, polybebber said:

I'm sure this has been asked (but seriously, I'm too lazy right now to check 10 pages for it) but

would US Marines aircraft count? If yes, I have a couple of Marines aircraft on top of my "want to do" list,

so if yes I'd like to join.

Lothar

marines are commanded by the USN so come on in!

Rob 

• Like 1