In the Navy Chat

rob85

3 minutes ago, Col. said:

...or maybe we need a Jolly Rogers GB? ;)

If I build the Jolly Rogers stuff that I have planned for 2020, I would still have decals enough for an immense amount of stuff in 2021...  

Having said that, restricting it to anything in the USN that carried a Jolly Roger symbol would relegate the GB to a niche.  How about anything that carried a skull and crossbones symbol?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

If I build the Jolly Rogers stuff that I have planned for 2020, I would still have decals enough for an immense amount of stuff in 2021...  

Having said that, restricting it to anything in the USN that carried a Jolly Roger symbol would relegate the GB to a niche.  How about anything that carried a skull and crossbones symbol?

Rather than a Single Type GB how about a single squadron/unit GB? Or a Jolly Roger GB as you say might work as well :hmmm:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Didn't Gladiators flown by Swedish pilots in Finland carry a skull and crossbones device?

Yes they did. Quite a few Royal Navy ships have flown one over the years and at least one Buccaneer flew with one as nose art during Op Granby.

• Like 1

I thought i had found something a bit left field for this GB when i found a Contrail Hawker Horsley.

Unfortunately despite being a torpedo bomber it would appear to have been used by the RAF rather than the navy !

• Sad 1

On 11/15/2019 at 7:35 PM, Col. said:

Yes they did. Quite a few Royal Navy ships have flown one over the years and at least one Buccaneer flew with one as nose art during Op Granby.

On 11/15/2019 at 7:30 PM, Enzo Matrix said:

Didn't Gladiators flown by Swedish pilots in Finland carry a skull and crossbones device?

On 11/15/2019 at 7:23 PM, Enzo Matrix said:

I would be up for a skull and cross bones GB! There are a number of bombers that flew with the markings especially Boston’s, and don’t forget submarines always cane back to port flying the jolly Rodger if they had made a hit... would be a great diorama of safari coming back into Malta with its 15 bars on the Jolly Rodger.

Rob

11 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

I thought i had found something a bit left field for this GB when i found a Contrail Hawker Horsley.

Unfortunately despite being a torpedo bomber it would appear to have been used by the RAF rather than the navy !

I feel I’m holding you back

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

54 minutes ago, rob85 said:

I feel I’m holding you back

Hi Rob

Absolutely not, I'm just rubbish at choosing !

However I am nothing if not persistent, so 3rd time lucky Blackburn Roc ?

Always was a sucker for good looks :rofl:

Cheers Pat

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Hi Rob

Absolutely not, I'm just rubbish at choosing !

However I am nothing if not persistent, so 3rd time lucky Blackburn Roc ?

Always was a sucker for good looks :rofl:

Cheers Pat

We have a winner!! Yeah 100% a go on a Roc 👍🏻

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, rob85 said:

Jesus... were at 89 votes! Was not expecting that after only just getting through the selection!! 

thanks for the support (nearly three times the amount that actually signed up!) 

Rob

Have you been getting the Robettes to do multiple voting on your behalf ?

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Have you been getting the Robettes to do multiple voting on your behalf ?

Ha yeah multiple accounts for them at my troll hub, the Russians have also lent a hand to affect the vote!

Rob

• Haha 4

My problem is that I've sort of over committed to GBs but Each GB subject will be the aircraft of a Fleet Air Arm Ace:-

Spitfire & Seafire STGB 11th April to 11th July 2020.  Seafire III BPF - Crosley

Journeys End VE to VJ Day. 8th May to 15th of August 2020 (VE to VJ Day).  Seafire III BPF - Murphy(?)

Corsair STGB 29th May to 30th August 2020. FAA Corsair (tbc)

Battle of Britain 80th Anniversary Friday 10 July 2020 to Saturday 31 October 2020.  Hurricane I P3585/AK*Q - Jeram

In the Navy - Dates TBC. Fairey Fulmar I N1932/B - Brabner

MTO II - Dates TBC. Blackburn Skua II L2927/A - Bruen

Six builds in one year - monumental for me May, June and July look really busy, hope there are no chores planned...

• Like 4

On 11/21/2019 at 7:35 AM, Grey Beema said:

My problem is that I've sort of over committed to GBs but Each GB subject will be the aircraft of a Fleet Air Arm Ace:-

Spitfire & Seafire STGB 11th April to 11th July 2020.  Seafire III BPF - Crosley

Journeys End VE to VJ Day. 8th May to 15th of August 2020 (VE to VJ Day).  Seafire III BPF - Murphy(?)

Corsair STGB 29th May to 30th August 2020. FAA Corsair (tbc)

Battle of Britain 80th Anniversary Friday 10 July 2020 to Saturday 31 October 2020.  Hurricane I P3585/AK*Q - Jeram

In the Navy - Dates TBC. Fairey Fulmar I N1932/B - Brabner

MTO II - Dates TBC. Blackburn Skua II L2927/A - Bruen

Six builds in one year - monumental for me May, June and July look really busy, hope there are no chores planned...

Every single one an excellent choice!

Rob

Hi Rob,

As I said at Telford I'd love to join! Thinking of either the Airfix Wildcat as a Martlet II or the Tamiya Corsair as a FAA Corsair III. Although if it looks like I have more time (unlikely) my Special Hobby Barracuda is calling to me...

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Vulcanicity said:

Hi Rob,

As I said at Telford I'd love to join! Thinking of either the Airfix Wildcat as a Martlet II or the Tamiya Corsair as a FAA Corsair III. Although if it looks like I have more time (unlikely) my Special Hobby Barracuda is calling to me...

Barracuda - You know you want to.....

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Vulcanicity said:

Hi Rob,

Thanks for popping along! Yes I remember you mentioning it. Corsair is a beautiful choice, as is the wildcat (lovely little kit) buuuuuut......

14 hours ago, Grey Beema said:

Barracuda - You know you want to.....

You took the words right out of my mouth! Foolish of me not to pick one of these up in Telford 

Rob

Realistically given the dates I'm likely to be building this kit partly on the road (my spring a summer are full up with ecology surveys for work) so I will probably stick with something small and comparatively simple - but we'll se!

• Like 1

Would you all stop it?  Just trying to get back at modeling and you are making me want to join a bunch of GBs.  P-51, Spitfire and now this?  It's a possibility.............I lose 3 weeks on the Mustang build with vacations.  Plus I got woodworking projects I want to do.   I'll see how it goes and advise!  I do have a Hobbyboss F4F-3 (Late) in the stash.   Might have a Tamiya F4F-4 too, but gotta check.  Standing by........

• Like 3

5 hours ago, BlueNosers352nd said:

Would you all stop it?  Just trying to get back at modeling and you are making me want to join a bunch of GBs.  P-51, Spitfire and now this?

Might i add that Corsairs had blue noses 😉 and someone said there is a stgb for them somewhere on these pages ? 🧐

• Haha 3