HP Herald Red Square livery

alancmlaird

Can anyone help me clear up what the production BEA Heralds (G-APWA, WB, WC) red wing area was painted?
The most available pics are of G-AODF, the 2nd prototype, and G-APWA the 1st production demonstrator, which were extensively demonstrated for publicity purposes, and the Berkshire Aviation Museum's G-APWD which has been round a few obscure airlines since BEA sold it on in 1966.

'DF has a few variations on the BEA scheme, notably on the tail, and also the nose, plus 'Handley Page' branding. The red area on the wing stops short before the leading edge.

'WA has more in common with the final BEA scheme (but not quite) and the wing red area is the same as 'DF (I think).
'WD in Berkshire has the wing painted red extending all the way back to the traiing edge, but as I remarked on my Group Build project, the typestyle is not correct for the BEA scheme when operational in the 'sixties.

Does anyone have any old magazine photos confirming where the paint actually stopped?

Alan,

Agree with 'Groundloop', the red area on G-APWA-'WD  bleeds off the trailing edge of the wings and does not have a white traiing edge as on G-AODF.

The four 'aerodynamic pods' on the trailing edge of the wings were initially also painted red, but later repainted light grey (the whole pod, not half red/half grey as on 'DF)