Trumpeter 1/200 Bismarck

Just started my latest big Project: Trumpeter 1/200 Bismarck, before was the infamous Trumpeter 1/16 KT. 

I've wanted to build this model as it's a masterpiece in this scale and I've been very inspired by the impressive Bismarck and her history. Lots of people have already done some very nice builds. But here goes..... My first attempt at Naval, as everything before has been AFV, SCi-FI and Aircraft.

Dry fit only....fit of parts is fantastic.

IMG_7101_zps1qgbdg11.jpg

IMG_7102_zpsibyc3bld.jpg

More to come shortly.............

• Like 2

On 10/23/2016 at 9:17 AM, Gremlin56 said:

P5250296.jpg

This was about a year into the build. Still have to fit some ventilators and the main deck railings.

Hi Julian,

Did you use any AM decks like Mk.1 or Pontos?

You build does look good, did you have a build thread?

Phil

• Like 2

I used the Mk.1 set for the build. There are still fragments of the build over at Starkweather's site:

http://www.modelshipwrights.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=SquawkBox&file=index&req=viewtopic&topic_id=199742&ord=1&page=1

A lot of photos got lost when I dumped Photobucket and since I left Starkie's place the build thread has become badly fragmented. I do still have the complete set of photo's I took during the build and I really enjoyed this review of the Mk.1 set I did:

http://www.modelshipwrights.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Reviews&file=index&req=showcontent&id=8834

Some more progress over the weekend:

Smaller PE and sub assemblies, not finished....

IMG_7109_zpspgbolvb9.jpg

The main Ship and all the sub assemblies are dry fit only. But i've got a good idea about the stand and wooden base ill use for the display.

Have to say Trumpeter's Bismarck  looks very impressive just built up from "Out of the Box" parts. The only addition so far is the main 38cm Barrels.

The Injection moulded versions are extremely good alternatives, If the modeller does not want to spend extra on Upgrade sets. No seems and drilled out barrels muzzles on even the 150mm secondary guns too.

IMG_7108_zpsyd1vedfi.jpg

IMG_7107_zpsg9xrzjop.jpg

IMG_7106_zpshtbpxlyv.jpg

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

The Update:

Further build progress:

IMG_7106_zpshtbpxlyv.jpg

These gaps will need careful attention, some horizontal deck support to eliminate any sagging! gues some people leave the sprue trees in for support. Something vertical from the hull bottom could be best.

IMG_7105_zps8azochwk.jpg

Stand mount adapters:

IMG_7114_zpsyowke8bd.jpg

IMG_7115_zps0wxbidfd.jpg

IMG_7116_zps7dvrltxj.jpg

The M6 Insert - Epoxy bonded into oak blocks

IMG_7124_zpsegohz9az.jpg

Edited by Silverstone 2
  • Like 4

The Finished hull construction:

IMG_7125_zpslltw7nco.jpg

IMG_7126_zpsxcvyvuir.jpg

IMG_7129_zpswwkzaqbv.jpg

The proposed stand mount on a 1500mm x 250mm x 20mm oak board:

IMG_7130_zpssrpwxdoa.jpg

IMG_7131_zpscj2g7mah.jpg

Just resting on the prototype stand mounts:

IMG_7132_zpsg4flflbv.jpg

IMG_7133_zpsxydmlnll.jpg

IMG_7134_zpsqaxrxlwa.jpg

Edited by Silverstone 2
  • Like 5

The Painting begins:

IMG_7135_zpsvak53yhu.jpg

Tamiya Nato Black for the Waterline, works well as it's not meant to be black but a very dark grey according to the history of the Kriegsmarine marking and painting.

IMG_7136_zpsxyuyizb2.jpg

Some tidy up on the hull seems, required!

IMG_7137_zpsl96k0ttv.jpg

Pre shading has come out quite well, not easy to see in the poor light unfortunately 

IMG_7138_zps748m8osm.jpg

• Like 3

The Large oak base has now had it's final stand-offs mounted.

I chose to use aluminium shafts with internal Plastic spacers (collars). The Aluminium shafts have been carefully rubbed down to remove any imperfections and blemishes in the cutting process.

The whole shaft is attached through the centre with a long M6 bolt (countersunk underneath the base) The are then crowned with large M6 Neoprene Washers.

The Idea behind the washers is to hold the bolts and provide a soft membrane between the supports and the delicate Bismarck hull: 

IMG_7164_zpsq5qznniy.jpg

IMG_7165_zpsohzortzd.jpg

More painting progress:

IMG_7166_zpscgvu0mgf.jpg

• Like 2

Next, could not wait to see how successful the PONTOS wooden deck was going to be?!?

IMG_7173_zpszlzs2qix.jpg

IMG_7174_zpsreu5gh0s.jpg

IMG_7172_zpsm9hd0mjt.jpg

Getting carried away...... a test fit to get an idea of how this is beginning to turn out:

IMG_7175_zpsrqyvvtwb.jpg

IMG_7176_zpswsurzdgw.jpg

IMG_7177_zps9fxnuwhs.jpg

Starting to look like a Battleship:

IMG_7179_zpszbg9p4e1.jpg

IMG_7180_zpsdyubq71u.jpg

After the next couple of days the Markings were sprayed on the Front and Aft decks:

IMG_7181_zpsuoaqsftq.jpg

IMG_7185_zpsq7v5xluv.jpg

IMG_7186_zpsu8fpd8ei.jpg

• Like 9

The Superstructure, PONTO decks and railing detail is now under way too....

IMG_7151_zpsm4wn3xha.jpg

IMG_7152_zpsx0ijijzz.jpg

IMG_7153_zpsorlc0wg8.jpg

IMG_7187_zpsddvoz1qz.jpg

IMG_7188_zpsrtd3o817.jpg

IMG_7189_zpssycodjli.jpg

I am really enjoying building Trumpeters amazing Bismarck offering, I thought their 1/16 King Tiger could not be beaten!, the Aftermarket additions really do bring it to life. I could have painted the decks but i was curious to try MK.1 & Pontos for their offerings too.

The MK1 metal barrels are nice but certainly not a must. The Kits 380mm / 150mm and smaller guns are very good mouldings and would look great out of the box. They even have drilled out muzzles too. The Metal versions just makes clean-up a lot easier. The Wooden decks are very nicely done and an ease to use too. Saves a lot of bench time. But again trumpeter's deck detail is superb! so an airbrush will bring very good results there too. Infact i've seen a lot of people painting their own decks with some very convincing results.

The Structural railings although fiddly and very time consuming are a must IMHO. Blast bags for the Main armament and 150mm are also a nice addition.

I'm not a fan of PE as it's extremely time consuming and very nerve racking!!! I have never done so much PE work in all my time of modelling but it's results are paying off.

More updates to follow......

Edited by Silverstone 2
  • Like 14

Very good progress being made here (something like this would take me years), and looking like all is to a very good standard.

I'm watching with interest now, to see another one of my life long favourite ships being built.

Edited by Rob 1