Afternoon BM's. Finally finished Airfix's new(ish) Hawker Typhoon 1B. I opted for the later 1944 option in the kit armed with rockets and adorned with D-Day landing stripes as I've not done a model with these on yet. I tried a new chipping technique on this one which has given mixed results. Personally I think it's overdone but lesson learned. I opted to airbrush the yellow wing strips, D-Day stripes and band around the tail which was the right thing to do, as in my opinion the decals with this kit are as thick as card and they would have looked miserable. Built out of the box and made my own harnesses. Enjoy, comments as always welcome.

IMG_1465_zpsc80nq4xk.jpgIMG_1448_zps6ph3endr.jpg

IMG_1453_zpskt5ckjwx.jpg

IMG_1454_zpsbeyar8hg.jpg

IMG_1457_zpsutcnrdv9.jpg

IMG_1459_zpsufkobvnw.jpg

IMG_1461_zpsk9xj7xue.jpg

IMG_1462_zpszvnuzzd8.jpg

IMG_1463_zps8ktb3gby.jpg

IMG_1464_zpsm0te3cca.jpg

IMG_1466_zpsxdmw8msz.jpgIMG_1467_zps2wfwoaf3.jpgIMG_1468_zpsh4eatm0y.jpgIMG_1469_zpsgh3ryy6q.jpgIMG_1470_zpss9aghdoo.jpgIMG_1471_zpssavhhk6g.jpgIMG_1472_zpsbrtgaacm.jpg

• Like 29

That's a beauty. If I were to critique any aspect of it, it would be the shiny clean newness look of the prop and spinner. They just look a bit out of place, at least to my eye.

Chris

• Like 1

Very neat build and basic finish!

But 'war weary'? I think it takes a bit more than somewhat random patches of silver paint to create a convincing impression of a tired war horse. The underside and the gun compartments are spaning clean, there's no wear around the wing roots that are trampled by boots during mounting, engine run up, servicing and egress, the propeller is shiny and immaculate – it just doesn't add up, IMO.

In order to create convincing war weariness, you have to carefully study as many photos as you can and then think in terms of cause and effect – where are the areas most likely to be worn by handling, the areas soiled by dust and dirt and exhaust, mud spatter and oil, paint matted and faded due to exposure to the sun, and so on.

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Like 2

8 hours ago, phildagreek said:

:goodjob:

Like it, nicely done.

8 hours ago, Ratch said:

Well done :goodjob:

Thank you both.

6 hours ago, dogsbody said:

That's a beauty. If I were to critique any aspect of it, it would be the shiny clean newness look of the prop and spinner. They just look a bit out of place, at least to my eye.

Chris

Hi Chris, thanks and I agree, especially now I look again. I had wrestled with the idea of matting it down and adding a few strike effects to it. I had sort of made up my mind that the spinner might have been replaced due to damage. May re-visit shortly.

6 hours ago, Spitfire31 said:

Very neat build and basic finish!

But 'war weary'? I think it takes a bit more than somewhat random patches of silver paint to create a convincing impression of a tired war horse. The underside and the gun compartments are spaning clean, there's no wear around the wing roots that are trampled by boots during mounting, engine run up, servicing and egress, the propeller is shiny and immaculate – it just doesn't add up, IMO.

In order to create convincing war weariness, you have to carefully study as many photos as you can and then think in terms of cause and effect – where are the areas most likely to be worn by handling, the areas soiled by dust and dirt and exhaust, mud spatter and oil, paint matted and faded due to exposure to the sun, and so on.

Kind regards,

Joachim

Joachim, thanks for taking the time to leave your critique. I can't say I disagree with your comments; you point out some valid points... it's just a good job I'm not easily offended :)

Compared to some of the amazing builds on this site I guess my model does have a 'basic finish' and 'doesn't add up' but then this is my interpretation of war weary - perhaps I should be careful with the title of my topics in future. As for the 'random patches of silver paint', these are under the camo and were made by chipping with masking fluid which produced mixed results as this was a learning experience... in fact many other areas of the model were for me also. Anyhow, I had fun and that's what it's about for me!

3 hours ago, WildeSau75 said:

Nice build - could easily pass as 1/48. Like it!

Cheers,

Michael

Thank you Michael.

38 minutes ago, wellsprop said:

Love it!

Ben

Appreciated Ben, thanks.

IIRC MP126 was the boss's ("Stapme" Stapleton) aeroplane so it might have received a bit more TLC from the hard-pressed ground crews, but in Northern France in autumn 1944 probably not a lot.  The spinner was an individual marking and was almost certainly painted by squadron personnel, so might well appear newer than the rest of the paint job.

If the squadron was operating from an ALG in France conditions were primitive at best and the aeroplanes would have become dusty or muddy, depending on the weather, so dark ingrained dirt is a bit too stark; an earthy brown would probably be closer.  I've seen a couple of photos of this aeroplane and the degree of paint chipping around the engine cowling, even after having been shot down, is somewhat less than you've applied to your model.

One other point to note: the navigation light covers on Typhoons were clear, with only the bulbs being coloured.  The bulbs are on the end rib, facing sideways rather than forwards to give the necessary illumination behind the lateral axis of the aeroplane, not easily possible if the bulb is mounted on the front face of a lateral structural member.

Good call on the kit transfers: I used them on my model and regretted it almost instantaneously.  At present it languishes on the shelf of doom awaiting a partial replant and new markings.

• Like 1

1/72??!! Looks great to me and I think you've done a good job, especially considering you're trying new techniques... nice one.

The yellow leading edges look perfect to me - I must try harder! :)

• Like 1

By this point in the war most aeroplanes had good quality hard wearing paint finishes.  I would have thought that chipping would be largely limited to around regularly used fasteners and heavy wear areas like the walkways to the cockpit at the wing root.  Although most pictures I've seen of service crew they seem to be wearing wellies which have a soft sole.  Remember also that to wear the paint to the metal you have to go through the primer coat so should be able to see it as well..

If you look at contempory pictures of Typhoons in the field they don't look in too bad a condition.  I did did some research last year looking at the Operations books for 64 & 19 Sqn Spitfires during the Battle of Britain.  For the majority of them their Operational flying hours was less than 20 before they were recycled for major overhaul off the squadron.  Not really long enough to get majorly weathered.  I agree with vh-bob that quite a few models are over weathered, looking at photos, at normal viewing distances you don't see the panel lines so why highlight them.

I think you've made a great start.  Your chipping is a bit over done but can be brought down with a paint brush (I always have to do this as my enthusiasm gets the better of me).  Or next time just do a little less. For panel washes I would use lighter colours or not at all.  On the panels themselves have a think of where the oily fingerprints go...

Its you model, you'll be happy with somethings less happy with others.  On your next model you try to improve..  That's how we all strive to get better...  Great start, great model - now on with your next subject which is...?

• Like 1

The kit is very nicely built and paint, the chipping looks a bit overdone for me too, on the other hand, the weathering (oil stains) on the underside looks good. I think the panel lines look a bit strong on the relatively light grey underside (and the white part of the fuselage), but on the top side, it's ok. :goodjob:

Alex

I agree with most of the above but also think its pretty good, weathering of any kit seems to be a bit of a minefield but no one can do it spot on first time!everyone has to learn new techniques and I think the golden rules have to be;how accurate to the real thing do you want it to be? and are you happy with the end result? Personally I have seen finished kits where the weathering of the underside of the kit matches exactly the upper surfaces and the pre shading of the panel lines is uniformed over the entire model and although the paintwork and techniques are superb the finished kit just looks wrong (in my opinion) but no doubt the person who built it was totally over the moon I think as modellers we all have different views and opinions on how a finished model should look! So get on with your next kit, try some new techniques and products,have fun and see what happens!👍

Good effort. Apart from the chipping, I think it's an excellent job with very neat masking. I'm building one myself at the moment.

Obviously there's no substitute for looking at photos of the real thing, if you want to strive for a more realistic effect. If you have a copy of the Osprey Typhoon Wings of 2 TAF by Chris Thomas you can see the photos of this aircraft after it was pranged behind enemy lines - by another pilot!

Thanks to all for looking and taking the time to comment, plus all the advice given - after all that's one of the main reasons we post on RFI right? I am now putting the Typhoon away and moving on to Airfix's Hurricane from the BoB 75th box set and shall be avoiding chipping, painted navigation lights (see my attempt today at custom made in below shot) and dark panel lines. I'll also have a go at mud on the wheels and undercarriage and some more interesting tones on the camo.

IMG_3881_zpsctjs7oot.jpg

• Like 1

This Typhoon is beautiful! Don't even start thinking otherwise.

So the poor pilot almost reached the sound barrier and saw the paint starting to hit the road? He was lucky to get back!

Weathering is like the color of your underpants: a matter of personal taste!

Great job!

JR

12 minutes ago, Victory-is-in-the-Kitchen said:

Thanks to all for looking and taking the time to comment, plus all the advice given - after all that's one of the main reasons we post on RFI right? I am now putting the Typhoon away and moving on to Airfix's Hurricane from the BoB 75th box set and shall be avoiding chipping, painted navigation lights (see my attempt today at custom made in below shot) and dark panel lines. I'll also have a go at mud on the wheels and undercarriage and some more interesting tones on the camo.

IMG_3881_zpsctjs7oot.jpg

This looks smashing! I always have to trash 2 or 3 attempts before I am anywhere near happy.

Just a small point, an please correct me if I am wrong: isn't the light on the other side, the one facing the fuselage?

Keep having fun!

JR

Edited by jean
SPELLING MISTAKE

Hi Jean, do you mean that the green and red are reversed? I noticed that after looking at some other shots of the real thing... I never remember which side is green and which is red. To correct I'll have to take them off and flood the small hole with thinners to remove the wrong colours! Doh! That's my first mistake and I'm sure there'll be many more 😒

Personally I love her, I never finished a model yet that I did not find faults with, she is lovely enjoy her.

Edited by Stesca