The EDSG Files # 1. An Ark Royal Sea Venom. 1/72

Hello all.

Since starting this in late July, I must confess I had no idea this would turn into such a marathon build. Having only joined the forum back in the Spring, I feel in hindsight that this build quickly turned into some kind of an apprenticeship, given the range of new skills and techniques it required me to learn. It goes without saying that I've been lucky throughout to receive a constant stream of support, advice, and encouragement from more people than there is space to list here. Suffice it to say that they have my continuing gratitude - you can find out who they are in the WIP over here, accompanied by the usual shenanigans:

The Kit

I bought this for 99p on theBay. It came in a plastic bag, no decals, and a photocopied set of instructions -  I should have guessed then that it would be trouble! :lol: Descended from the original Frog moulding (which is nicely-accurate at this scale in terms of shape and size), God only knows what generation of subsequent cheap moulding this one represented - nothing in the bag to indicate the company doing the moulding, whilst the material itself was some of the grottiest (not to mention grittiest) old plastic imaginable. It came nicely concealed in more flash than Swiss Tony. 

The Intention

I've  a long-held affection for the Fleet Air Arm (due in part to a period of my childhood spent to the south of Yeovilton) and decided some time back - as others right-thinking adults have done -  to build my way periodically through a series of FAA subjects as a long-term project.

Having had my eye on the Model Alliance decal set for the Ark Royal Air Wing, I decided to start off with the Sea Venom done up as WW150 from the 1956 deployment, complete with attractive Wiccan nose art and fetching checkered wing-tanks. I knew nothing about Sea Venoms when I started - I now know it to be an absolute beauty of a naval aircraft with fabulous lines and curves - the winds must have loved it.

I won't bore you with a list of the alterations, additions, deletions, scratching, silicone implants and other general alterations I made, (you can read the full horrors in the WIP), suffice it to say that although a formally-accurate kit to base a build of this aircraft on, it shows its age (don't we all Dah-lings!) when compared to the detailing available on kits like the CMR one recently gussied-up by Navy Bird. I'd also decided on a wing-fold. It seemed a good idea at the time when I thought (fantasized?) that this would be a reasonably quick build.:banghead:

In terms of references, there are one or two decent shots of WW150 floating around the web (there's copies over in the WIP) and in various publications on the Sea Venom, whilst the Warpaint drawings (that I used for panel details etc.) seem generally accurate when offered up against the Frog kit.

The Evidence

I decided to shoot daylight outside on this one - there's been some lovely examples of this approach by others on the forum, plus the grey stratus layer this morning gave a convincing imitation of Atlantic maritime-gey that seemed a perfect compliment for EDSG:

36844606905_bdac991b87_c.jpg

36844603785_6f7eb6236a_c.jpg

36674208652_46ef4a8296_c.jpg

36844610065_7417828754_c.jpg

36674205482_83a42edf56_c.jpg

36674204132_63b356949c_c.jpg

36705288081_99000a5129_c.jpg

36705286251_76c1f22b4e_c.jpg

36844600535_a2af19f914_c.jpg

36844598865_2445176387_c.jpg

36674193042_33b2e24315_c.jpg

36705281831_af4eb3c490_c.jpg

My thanks to all of my co-conspirators on the WIP.

Just in case there's any doubt about the next build, I'm caving to peer pressure:

Thanks for looking!

:bye: Tony

• Like 34

10 out of 10 Tony.

The photographs really do it justice, very representative of British lighting.

The more I look at it the more I think, especially in some of the latter photographs, this would pass off as 1/32.

They're tiny in 1/72 :o ! Congratulations young man, please get it into a safe display case/area without delay :D !

It's been a great journey; I strongly recommend the WIP.

:goodjob: 

TonyT

Edited by TonyTiger66
Spelling
  • Like 2

She's a real beauty, and from what you had to work with too.  You have really pulled it out of the bag kicking and screaming into the light of day, literally.

The weathering, painting, Modelling, everything oozes quality and dedication. 

The Wip was awesome too, I'm going to miss scrolling through here of a morning seeing if anything has been fettled with on the venom. I'm sure the "Oooh" Barracuda will be a just replacement. 

Great Pics in the outside, I'm loving doing mine outside, Such better light.

Take care Amigo.

Johnny.:hobbyhorse:

• Like 2

Beautiful.

I've just spent a happy few minutes gazing at the photos (oooh look, a Gazebo!) and I have to say that's perfect. Great job Sir!

It's been great joining in with the WiP and learning new techniques too.

Looking forward to the Barracuda.

• Like 1

Lovely stuff to wake up and read on a Sunday - thanks all of you!

(Appreciate the write-up mon general, hopefully I've atoned for that unfortunate  'Mills bomb in the Coconut Shy' incident at the regimental fete back in June?)

• Like 2

That incident will be etched on the memory of those present for many years to come......the coconut suffered severe shell shock.... I had to fetch my Elephant gun to put a merciful end to its suffering, Darling almost miscarried and it woke Lady M from her late afternoon reverie, the latter totally unforgivable). Whilst no doubt a stain on your record your building of one of Fairey's (not so) Finest for the amusement and edification of the huddled masses may go some way to righting the situation and putting the whole wretched business behind us.....

• Like 3

Excellent result T, you should be well chuffed with that.

A bit of Heart too, always did like a bit of Ann and Nancy, :thumbsup:

Sean

• Like 1