Another Tamiya P-51D here - FINISHED!! -

Lomcevak

Hello, 

I'll go with a Tamiya 1/72 P-51D, not sure yet between the 352nd or 357th, but fully OOB

Time permitting I could try to continue with my other P-51D, the airfix kit also in 1/72, as it was suggested by fellow members.  

Looking forward to see how all this develops being this my first group build, but so far looks really interesting! 

Pictures coming soon!

J

Edited by Lomcevak
Add tags
  • Like 1

On 23/10/2016 at 01:45, JimmyZ said:

These are very nice Mustangs (arguably the best), just wish the flaps could go down without me needing to reach for the hacksaw!

I'll tag along.

Cheers

Jimmy

Thanks Jimmy! You are right about the flaps, that was a HUGE point when I was deciding between this one and the Airfix with its flaps down, but I wanted to see what is all this great Tamiya reputation about their fitting quality. 

We'll see! 

• Like 1

Good morning Lomcevak

Very good choice I have already built a few of these kits and I think that you should not face problems ..

About these flaps I have very good pics of Mustangs with the flaps up so you can build your Mustang just as it is from the box ..

Patrice

• Like 1

14 hours ago, wellzy said:

welcome to the build Lomcevak look forward to your build 

Les

Thanks Les, and let me thank you for taking the time to organize this group build. :goodjob:

• Like 1

Hello! Here I am again, finally today I was able to clean my table after finishing the Typhoon and started with this little beauty. For now I just removed the big pieces to test the fit and HOLY COW! These guys from Tamya are definitely  something else managing tolerances on their injection process. I know that I'm not discovering anything new here but as this is the first time I put my hands on a tamiya kit all these good reviews make sense now. 

Tonight I'll continue starting with the cockpit and probably spraying a few more places with the interior color and the black one. 

For the aluminum I'll use AS12 decanted and sprayed with my airbrush as I saw on some youtube video, but that will be probably in a few days.  

Here some shots from today. 

Cheers!

IMG_0006_zpst4bl9bsv.jpg

IMG_0003_zps685gfb0x.jpg

IMG_0007_zps2mb9xqxc.jpg

IMG_0005_zpsv1urznrl.jpg

IMG_0008_zpswksx6j0h.jpg

• Like 4

Ah yes, the fit.  I've already flown my 1/48 "Big Brother" around a number of times- the way the wing notches in to the fuselage, and with the perfect fit, the basic pieces stay together even with mild 'G'!  And my larger scale does have separate flaps :P

I'm thinking it'll be a good chance to experiment with the (partially) naked metal look.

bob

• Like 1

Hi!

I have a question regarding this kit, I'm not sure if I have a faulty decal sheet but there is no instrument panel! :shrug:

the instructions are not making reference to any decal here, only to use two different blacks (matt and gloss).  

Am I right? Did tamiya really forgot this decal? 

Kind of disappointing considering the quality of all this. :crying:

Hello!

Some progress today, not huge but it's coming. i was able to spray a little bit the interior and the wheel bays. Hope to find more time soon to continue putting together the interior and move to NMF

Until soon!

Jorge

:hobbyhorse:

IMG_0011_zpsipsxc1xi.jpg

IMG_0013_zps5qjpzxpd.jpg

IMG_0012_zpswpycpbs1.jpg

IMG_0009_zpsljp74uyj.jpg

• Like 6

Some good progress there and I like your choice of AS12, which I find  ' weathers ' with time to give a realistic slightly worn NMF.

It's an excellent kit just a shame about the wheel well, but it looks like that might be rectified by Meng and Airfix.

John

Edited by Biggles87
  • Like 1

On 29/10/2016 at 11:43 PM, Lomcevak said:

Hi!

I have a question regarding this kit, I'm not sure if I have a faulty decal sheet but there is no instrument panel! :shrug:

the instructions are not making reference to any decal here, only to use two different blacks (matt and gloss).  

Am I right? Did tamiya really forgot this decal? 

Kind of disappointing considering the quality of all this. :crying:

Hi,

From the looks of things the kit is the same one I have albeit with different markings. I was thinking that about the instrument panel decal originally but its a clear decal which if when looked at the decal sheet was number 36 (or a similar number on your instructions)

Hi! Quick update of my status, some more progress on the cockpit, and pushing a little bit with a scrach build of seat belts using a cap from a bottle of wine, these are pending to be painted. We'll see how they end up looking. 

I'm not sure yet if I'd try some weathering on the cockpit before closing the fuselage. 

Thanks.

IMG_0018_zpsu9iwmnsa.jpg

IMG_0017_zpsfymzxqmo.jpg

IMG_0014_zpsssptgo0a.jpg

IMG_0020_zpstdpd0elg.jpg

sorry for the low light, for some reason my phone refuses to expose properly some of the shots

• Like 2

On 4/11/2016 at 01:36, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good morning Lomcevak

Very god job so far I think that I am going to build at least one Tamiya Mustang ..

Patrice

Hi Patrice, thanks for your kind words. I hope you have the chance to do it, I really like it so far. 

Hello!

Today I finished the interior, I'll be closing the fuselage soon. 

IMG_0026_zpsibwkjtc8.jpg

IMG_0025_zps1t1ojnfp.jpg

IMG_0029_zpsriyzkmbc.jpg

IMG_0028_zpsme79mofu.jpg

I hope to find more time soon, looking forward to start playing with the NMF

Cheers!

Jorge

• Like 1

13 hours ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good morning Jorge

Nice work but I must admit that Iam a little bit surprised by the colour of the cockpit floor ..

Patrice

Hello Patrice!, I'm afraid that unfortunately (for my build) you are right. I was painting based on the kit instructions but after your comment I checked and I realize now that I should have painted a black section or try to emulate a wooden floor. :crying:

I guess I'll have to take this into consideration when I start my airfix kit. :weep:

Thanks anyway, as this is how we all learn. 

Jorge

10 hours ago, Lomcevak said:

Hello Patrice!, I'm afraid that unfortunately (for my build) you are right. I was painting based on the kit instructions but after your comment I checked and I realize now that I should have painted a black section or try to emulate a wooden floor. :crying:

I guess I'll have to take this into consideration when I start my airfix kit. :weep:

Thanks anyway, as this is how we all learn. 

Jorge

Good morning Jorge

If it is not too late ie if the fuselage is not already closed maybe you can try to do something about cockpit floor colour ?

Patrice

20 hours ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good morning Jorge

If it is not too late ie if the fuselage is not already closed maybe you can try to do something about cockpit floor colour ?

Patrice

Hi Patrice! I wish I could, I saw your message about this the morning after I left the fuselage cemented, and I was like :oops: but well, I'll keep working to make her look as good as possible, probably with the canopy closed... :whistle: