White Knight - Short Crusader

Awesome work; I gotta follow this! Ever since I was a kid in the early '60s, I had a thing for racers with floats from this amazing era.  But I don't know too much about 'em. And I thought a 'Short Crusader' was a Corsair II...

• Like 1

Evening all, & thanks in particular to Woody37, Thom216, Rene, James & AngstROM for your enthusiasm!  Most appreciated.

Inching forward ...

Since last post I've undertaken a little more sand, putty, prime .. & then reattached fairings knocked off during said process of sand, putty, prime!

Followed just now by application of Archers piano hinge transfers.  These were a challenge for me, particularly as they need to sit right on the raised ridge line crease between panels.  Getting them into position was tricky, even with Archers clever tips from their online 'how to' video.  The eye notices any slight deviation from the straight line & the line they draw emphasises any inconsistency in sizing of my cowling panels.  Nevertheless, I'm content with the result.  Here it is in its new pinstripe suit:

EC1_zpsfe8gybbl

Trusting it will look more subtle when painted over!  When that is all dry tomorrow I'll put a seal coat of primer on & then put that assembly aside for a while.

Onto the next & final element of this cowling assembly: the individual cylinder cowls, or 'helmets' as they were quickly referred to .. & which in turn presumably lead to the name Crusader?

Edited by greggles.w
Farewell Photobucket!
  • Like 8

Well it seems I jumped the start with this WIP thread, seems I should have held it over for a group build:

Flying Boats & Floatplanes,

or ...

Made in Britain,

or ...

Prototypes & Experimentals,

or perhaps ...

Radial Engines Rock!

Speaking of radial engines which ROCK! ...

Next those individual cylinder cowlings, like so:

ED6_zps6jj2ygq5

ED5_zpsmokytohq

ED7_zpsyxo2xdhk

ED4_zps9bbichmx

Spot the difference?

8 x are the same, while the one at top is a custom.

One of my main goals with scratch building this whole cowl assembly is to truly represent the fact that that these cylinder cowls were attempting to balance streamlining with flow-through cooling.  Therefore, again, these cowls do not lend themselves to a solid casting.  This time instead of crash moulding I'm thinking vacform.

So first a master.  Not being too confident on my ability to sculpt I shaped some 2D internal forms on a sample of thin (0.7mm) timber veneer.  Red cedar, to be contrasting with & soft similar to the surrounding balsa.  This way I could shape the balsa down until the visible cedar guides, vertical & horizontal, are brought to the surface.  Here are the cedar parts:

ED1_zpswt5fch6n

I realise now I missed photographing an intermediary step, showing the balsa chunks PVA glued to encase the cedar ... clearly enjoying it all too much!!

So straight to the finished master after shaping, filing & sanding:

ED2_zpsi5kqkhiu

ED3_zps6vzm9m7h

.. & in the background the cowl assembly has had a further coat of Mr Surfacer ... I'm a bit nervous that getting sufficient coverage of white to those black piano hinges will ironically fill up the detail!!

So now to vacform ... well actually, there might be some delay as I don't have a vac-former!!!!  What I have is a collection of junk to try building my own, with help of YouTube ...what could possibly go wrong!?

Wish me luck!

g.

Edited by greggles.w
Farewell Photobucket!
  • Like 8

Nice work on the master, hopefully the results will be as good! Just be careful where you point that vacuum cleaner!

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Just be careful where you point that vacuum cleaner!

.. thanks Ian, that's good life advice in general!

Much happiness here today, a package arrived from the exotic US of A, with a 1/48 Noix Hughes 1B Long Wing kit within.  This closes out a purchase I started on back in May!  All at once very exciting, but the polished natural metal finish is equal parts intimidating!

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Caerbannog said:

If you are interested in 1:72 you probably know Dekno?

.. yes! Such lovely models & an extensive range of good subjects! Like you Rene, I prefer 1/48 but the Dekno offering makes me reconsider ..

Its the same with the Dujin 1/72 range of Caudron golden era air racers .. James you might like to check those out too?  Sadly little that is comparable is offered at 1/48 ...

4 hours ago, greggles.w said:

Its the same with the Dujin 1/72 range of Caudron golden era air racers .. James you might like to check those out too?  Sadly little that is comparable is offered at 1/48 ...

Check out JMGT for Caudron in 1:48 scale. I have two and they are great little kits - only take care with the decals. If you are interested I added a Cauldron C460 and a Potez 53 in the French Fancy GB.

Sorry for hijacking...

7 hours ago, roadrunner said:

Hello,

very impressive work.

I've it in stock, but I I did not know how to correct engine cowls, until I read your wip......

Thanks!

Thank you Stephane - not that I believe I could teach you much, if you are the roadrunner who I have seen on a few French forums!  :) 

4 hours ago, Caerbannog said:

Check out JMGT for Caudron in 1:48 scale

Yes Rene I would love a few of their kits! The closest I have come is one spare JMGT Caudron C.460 canopy, a very kind gift of Louis on this forum to replace one missing from a very old 1/48 LDM white metal C.460 kit I have in the stash.

4 hours ago, Caerbannog said:

If you are interested I added a Cauldron C460 and a Potez 53 in the French Fancy GB.

I had already discovered all the great work in that group build & particularly admired your two Rene.  I had not heard of the Potez 53 before. Great results, well done!

• Like 1

More excitement c/o the postman today, another much anticipated parcel arrived. Inside was:

.. Testors Curtiss RC3-2!,

.. Planet Models Bugatti 100P!! &

.. POMK Caudron C.561!!!

talk about distraction! I really must put my mind to this WIP ...

• Like 2

Right - the cockpit side walls have the wrong shape and the exhausts are not correct. Depending if you go with the original or with the replica you will need to change the shape of the intakes. What else did you find Roadrunner?

Regarding POMK Caudron C.561 - I dearly hope it is not the same molds as ECP Phenix, which is plain awful. The fuselage is a single piece with no footroom in the cockpit among other issues.

4 hours ago, roadrunner said:

Good choice!

Be carefull with the Bugatti, it is partialy wrong :(

Hmm, Sharkit also came out with one recently which I think tied in with the full size replica nearing completion

Thank you all gentlemen, if you don't mind, I will PM sometime in the future to seek your advice before I get going with  the Bugatti.

On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 9:16 PM, Caerbannog said:

Regarding POMK Caudron C.561 - I dearly hope it is not the same molds as ECP Phenix, which is plain awful. The fuselage is a single piece with no footroom in the cockpit among other issues.

Happily it seems not?

Caudron C.561_1

image_zpshhiqpojc

Edited by greggles.w
Farewell Photobucket!
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I certainly won't be posting  it as 'ready for inspection' on any woodworking forum .. but I believe it's done!

image_zpsmdmrzpxq

Yet to be tested as it's now well past midnight here & vacuum cleaners or smoke alarms going off will cause havoc.

Unfortunately the pre-Christmas family & work schedule will make it most unlikely that it will be initiated anytime soon .. still it will be nice to have that out of the way & to start thinking of building the aeroplane again.

g'night all!

Edited by greggles.w
Farewell Photobucket!
  • Like 4

Just for information, Planet models do (or did) a long and short wing Hughes 1B in 1/48th and Kiwi Resin do a Mew Gull in both the original shape and in Henshaw's Cape Dash modified form, also in 1/48.

Using the Kiwi Resin kit and custom decals you can model almost any of the Mew Gulls entered in the Schlesinger Race and with some mods to the nose, almost any of the same aircraft as raced in the Kings Cup series.

I have both kits lurking in the shadows, waiting for me to make a start. They're both pretty good, needing some thought and work but nothing too difficult for an experienced modeller.

I too have a Crusader so I'm watching with interest!

Dave

• Like 1