White Knight - Short Crusader

On 4/29/2020 at 1:14 AM, limeypilot said:

I'd be more than happy with that rigging. Attaching it to those gussets is not the easiest of tasks and you've done a great job.

Thanks Ian - though I think you're operating on another level with your multi-winged builds!

On 4/29/2020 at 1:14 AM, limeypilot said:

She's gorgeous, but I assume there's still a prop, or prop disc to come...

Ah, no sorry, I've elected not to include the prop blades as my mount shall be an attempt to induce a sense of speed in flight.  I looked around at various ways other clever people do this - discs, blurs - then came across someone building WWII fighters with spinners but no blades and found that most convincing.

I did have a 'great' idea in the middle of the night, and immediately in my semi-sleep state ordered some very fine clear optical fibre, thinking wouldn't that make an awesome ring out at prop-tips!!  I still have that stuff somewhere ... in the cold light of day I couldn't recall what my corresponding 'great' idea was for the link between spinner and said prop-tip ring.  I've never been able to solve that convincingly in my mind (in daylight hours!).

On 4/29/2020 at 3:06 AM, Courageous said:

Great stuff Greggles, stunning.

Thanks Stuart - I have a celebratory Malteser on standby for when it's finally mounted & done.

On 4/29/2020 at 4:44 AM, rob Lyttle said:

A couple of weeks ago I scratch built one 4-blade Hamilton prop in 1.48 scale. It's my first effort on such a job.

My sense of achievement and glow of satisfaction in achieving a result FAR exceeded anything that can be bought in the aftermarket retail sector. It's priceless. 

So YOU can be feeling joy and satisfaction in abundance with this project ‼️🤩

Thanks very much Rob, & yes I do agree it is quite satisfying seeing the end result.  And it's not in some sort of self-congratulatory way, it's with full acknowledgement of the set-backs, errors, corrections & remaining embedded inaccuracies ... & yet in spite of all that it is there & done!

On 4/29/2020 at 10:05 AM, AdrianMF said:

It looks magnificent! I hope you are pleased with it.

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian, yes, not abandoning the hobby - enthusiasm maintained!

On 4/29/2020 at 9:52 PM, Fastcat said:

All the work on the cowls and nose was well worth it.

There's one vote for plastic surgery it seems 😉 Thanks for your research help &  input along the way - most appreciated.

On 4/30/2020 at 12:20 AM, DMC said:

Just beautiful! Top marks for this one.

Dennis 

Thanks Dennis, here's to more such thoroughbreds for our stables!

• Like 1

Sooo, last time I posted I thought I was that close to having this wrapped up ...

Well here she is again, back in the jig (her natural state?!)

Mount_1

Unfortunately the clear glue I had used to bond the supporting clear acrylic to the float steps displayed an unhelpful property.  It has maintained the bond, but the cement itself has a measure of unwanted flex (subsequent deeper internet research revealed this is a known property I ought to have noticed).  While test-fitting it into the slot on top of the base I noticed a very   ....   slow   ....   disturbing  ...   lean back on it's haunches.  It met a limit, but if I merely tipped the centre of gravity forward a little then this resulted in     ...    a very   .....   slow   ...   disturbing   ...   wallow forward.   Not ideal.  So will be going back & editing that post in the preceding thread lest anyone follow my lead!

Mount_2

So it has been reinforced with the next chemical of choice: an 'ulta-clear' two part epoxy resin promising stupendous strength.  Test runs on off-cut acrylic confirmed it won't cloud or fog the transparency.  So it's been applied, & 16hrs to cure ...

In the meantime the slot has been sawn & chiselled into the top of the timber, & the graphic transplanted down into the slot.  Base is ready ...

Mount_3

... so close ...

• Like 6

Just found this thread. Amazing to read. I saw the kit advertised many years ago and (wisely,  goven my skill set) didn't  buy one. Hell, I'm still fighting an aerotech S6...

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, seadog said:

Hell, I'm still fighting an aerotech S6...

Interesting you say that, I was under the impression they were bespoke jewellery like items for modellers of the next level.  Keep at & would love to see some WIP shots ..

3 hours ago, greggles.w said:

WWII fighters with spinners but no blades and found that most convincing.

My thoughts exactly.

3 hours ago, greggles.w said:

I have a celebratory Malteser on standby for when it's finally mounted & done.

Good idea but considering how long the packet has been open, they may be a little soft...

As far as your first mounting failure, you're on the way your second option, hope all goes well.

Stuart

18 hours ago, greggles.w said:

Interesting you say that, I was under the impression they were bespoke jewellery like items for modellers of the next level.  Keep at & would love to see some WIP shots ..

Expensive, certainly! I saved up, because I really like Schneider cup racers. This was back when there was only the 6b. There were huge problems with the kit and Aerotech kindly replaced it with a 6.

• Like 1