White Knight - Short Crusader

No fumbles, no fumbles, no fumbles ...

But knowing one fumbles, then take appropriate precautions!  I’m brush paining these, but the dark colour over white made me cautious, hence the extensive masking (Those airliner modellers - what nerves they must have!).

And the colour? 100% speculative, so don’t take my choice as an authoritative reference.  These radiators were a retrofit as cooling issues emerged.  There’s no reference anywhere that I’ve found which confirms what they were fabricated from.  So here follows the thinking I explored (jump this rabbit-hole paragraph by all means!):

First, based on contemporary precedent, almost without exception, surface radiators were fashioned from brass.  The Supermarine S5&6s has theirs under the aluminium skin, but the only such metal skin on this machine was limited to the floats. So back to brass.   Given brass includes red tones, this would account for the very dark tone of these in the black&white photos.  But what then to make of the post-accident salvage images which show them quite pale?  Then I recalled one quote somewhere that noted that by the time the machine was brought up from the lagoon waters the magnesium crank-case had dissolved away .. so perhaps the reddish brass had turned to greenish verdigris?  What madness.. muddles & fumbles!

I decided that a discrete dark tone with a subtle hint of metal would do just fine!

A couple of coats of Tamiya’s suitably generically named ‘Metallic Grey’ followed by one of ‘Dark Iron’.  I’m thinking I can very gently rub back the dark colour from the raised ridges, revealing a little of the lighter highlights .. let’s see how that goes this evening.

Radiators

Radiators

Radiators

.. & above ..

Radiators

Radiators

Radiators

Edit: & now I’m in the office I see my order of decal paper has arrived! Progress..

Edited by greggles.w
  • Like 9

Only a few minutes to spare today, after nil time on the weekend.  A few preparatory tasks of little consequence, and screwed it up!  Not my usual fumbles, just a way to let me hold this thing for clear coats ..

Screwed

Screwed

That one shows the finish on the wing radiators a little clearer ..

Ok, hopefully more time soon ..

• Like 7

Teeny tiny decals printed & applied this evening.  The registration of the black lettering relative to the painted white underneath is .. variable .. but let’s observe from a polite distance & say it’s true to the hand-painted original!

49025556693_8bb42c10dc_b.jpg

N226

N226

• Like 5

Pottering along, shuffling through the residual tasks ..

This weekend an audit of work remaining to finish off the cylinder cowlings:

Weekend’s work

The requisite rounds of painting were successfully finalised on the trusty peg-jig:

Weekend’s work

These little things are quite fragile egg-shells, so to give them best support while micromesh buffing I glued their wooden vacform buck to the end of a skewer:

Weekend’s work

.. so I can then slip each one on ready for a shoe-shine:

Weekend’s work

By weekend’s end I have 4 of 9 so buffed.

Miscellaneous other minor tasks were attended to in between, including painting her toenails!

Weekend’s work

(the jig has been dusted off ... the moment when floats meet plane may yet arrive!)

• Like 10

21 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Now you're just teasing!

Looking great....come on, nearly there!

Ian

Thanks Ian, teased or tormented?! But yes, let’s focus on that fact we’re nearly there!

19 hours ago, DMC said:

The floats look immaculate.

Dennis

Thanks Dennis, tonight they got the very last of the decals for this machine!

Monday

.. markers for aligning the floats on the beaching trolley, like so:

Decals

Decals 2

18 hours ago, Fastcat said:

Fantastic job of a very poor kit. You should be very proud of it.

Dave

Thanks Dave. You know, on reflection, I think I’m most proud of those moments when I had the capacity to declare a piece of work ‘good enough’ & move on!

Tonight another two cylinder cowls buffed, so that’s 6 of 9 ‘good enough’ ..

Monday

Thanks again & g’night all!

• Like 7

10 hours ago, Jonners said:

Not sure what people would say if I told them that I’d spent the evening buffing my cylinder cowls, though...

Well Jon, let’s keep it between you & I .. and certainly don’t tell them that I buffed another at breakfast!

7 of 9 done ...

• Haha 4