1/48 - North American P-51D/F-51D & Mustang lV/P-51K by Airfix - released

Homebee

For those with sharp eyes and a reasonable level of knowledge of P-51Ds, the 3D renders provided by Airfix of their future release of a fillet-less P-51D-5 show that they have changed the radio equipment under the canopy to more accurately reflect that carried in the earlier P-51Ds.  Shows that they listened and paid notice to some people who know P-51s.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Airfix have sent out a notification email and also posted on their Facebook page that stock of their 1/48 N.A. Mustang Mk.IV/P-51K is now in stock with pre-orders now being sent out and stock sent to retailers.

32969224668_c765b90585_b.jpga05137_p51d-mustang_box-front_web by Colin Ford, on Flickr

• Like 1

I think this is very clever marketing on Airfix’s behalf. It’s not the first time that they have paid homage to the original Roy Cross artwork (Free French Blenheim) and now they’ve delighted Matchbox fans with this lovely depiction of the Dooleybird Mustang. I’ll be honest, I still think it looks better with the upper nose stripe and Canopy framing in Medium Blue - is this still a plausible theory or is yellow now the established and educated belief? 

That artwork has really sucked me in - I’ll be getting one (perhaps two?) as I do like the RAAF 3 Sqn. option as well! 

Cheers. Dave 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

I think this is very clever marketing on Airfix’s behalf. It’s not the first time that they have paid homage to the original Roy Cross artwork (Free French Blenheim) and now they’ve delighted Matchbox fans with this lovely depiction of the Dooleybird Mustang. I’ll be honest, I still think it looks better with the upper nose stripe and Canopy framing in Medium Blue - is this still a plausible theory or is yellow now the established and educated belief? 

That artwork has really sucked me in - I’ll be getting one (perhaps two?) as I do like the RAAF 3 Sqn. option as well! 

Cheers. Dave 

Dave,

This is now the established belief. It seems to be based upon a letter sent into Scale Aircraft Modelling from a local aeroplane spotter who had made contemporaneous reports of the 19 Squadron aircraft. Without delving into my archives, I'm not sure of the exact issue/volume numbers, but think it was around the low to mid 20's. I think the letter was in response to some details/profiles that had been published in the then recent SAM Colours UK Based Fighters monograph. I read it recently, so it may well be near the top of the pile of SAM's I'm currently using as refs for current projects. If I come across it, I'll let you know.

Mark.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

#3 for the box art- absolutely lovely - and a great write up on the workbench that discussed it (ref the original pilot)

An interesting story associated with this aircraft and its pilot will make this attractive scheme appear all the more appealing to modellers, when they learn that former Flt. Lt. Doley donated his log books to the archives of the RAF Museum in 2014. This complete record included all of his wartime flying and records from his pre-war civilian flying experience, along with some photographs from his personal collection. Some years earlier, the former RAF pilot was in a store in his home town of Wolverhampton, when he picked up a model kit that looked rather familiar. The box artwork on this 1/72nd scale Matchbox kit release featured the distinctive Mustang he used to fly at RAF Acklington in 1945 - it must have been both a shock and extremely satisfying to see his former mount presented for modellers to enjoy. A couple of years earlier, he had been approached by a chap who was writing a book, asking if he could borrow his wartime log book – Mr Doley was happy to oblige and he stated that the book included a small picture of his ‘Dooleybird’, which is where the model references may have originated from.

https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/news/workbench/britain-adopts-americas-mighty-mustang

• Thanks 1

Appreciate that Mark and Mr. Texantomcat. I have the earlier SAM 1945-50 RAF Fighters book however have missed the later SAM article which mentions the spotters notes. T'would have been nice if Mr. Dooley himself had mentioned something at the time of viewing the Matchbox kit, however he was probably more shocked to see his mount honoured in kit form in the first place. I can't quite make out the additional notes that Airfix mention on their instruction sheet paint guide so will have to wait until I get my hands on this kit or someone else provides an online review. I've just recently purchased the Airfix 1/48 Korean War F-51D box and this one looks to be another kit that'll be happily added to the stash for a possible 2019 build. 

From what I see and read, this is a nice kit and if it goes together as nice as their 1/72 kit I will be most impressed. 

Cheers.. Dave

• Like 1

Thanks so much @John, I’ve been wanting to see the decal sheet since this kits been released. Would you mind doing me a couple of favours? Can you tell me if the 19 Sqn codes are black or blue and could you please take a photo of what Airfix caption on the paint guide for Dooleybird. I think there’s some special notes regarding the colours chosen. 

Cheers.. Dave 

8 minutes ago, John said:

46859874401_e9caaf6ce6_c.jpgMustang3 by John Walker, on Flickr

J

Perfect John, many thanks.. just need to wait until they arrive at my LHS who surpringly gets these new kits quite quickly somehow. 

Cheers.. Dave

Pleasure.

I have the original P-51D boxing, but not the F-51, as well and they do look superb in the box. I haven't found the time to make a start on either yet but Dooleybird has just gone straight to the top of the to-do pile as soon as current projects are completed.

Mind you I do like the 3 Squadron option as well, happy memories of the second generation 1/72 Airfix kit.

John  

Oh God this is annoying. I got the day fighter Defiant, then they did the NF with stunning artwork so I had to have that too, then the Hurricane, but then they did the Sea Hurricane with....stunning artwork, now I have the first P51D release already but ... dammit! 

• Haha 1

Hah! I see everyone else has already had the exact same emotional reaction to the box art as I just had.  A lovely touch and nod to Matchbox. Well done, Airfix, and if it's Mr Toobey (certainly looks like hi) well done Mr Toobey too. I did my KM272 years ago, out of the Tamiya kit with an upgraded interior, and went with more blue than the current wisdom, because I like it that way and for Matchbox nostalgia. I might pick one of these up just for the box art though, and to see if I can make another rendition better than my early one.

40 minutes ago, Work In Progress said:

Just noticed. No underwing serials. My 1/48 one, which used the Kits World sheet, has them. The Matchbox one has them.

See John's post at #336 above.

The Airfix paint and decal placement guide makes mention of 'no underwing serials' as they understand it.

It would be interesting to see other photographs of 19 Sqn Mustangs for the same time period.

Cheers.. Dave

1 hour ago, Work In Progress said:

Just noticed. No underwing serials. My 1/48 one, which used the Kits World sheet, has them. The Matchbox one has them.

19 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

See John's post at #336 above.

The Airfix paint and decal placement guide makes mention of 'no underwing serials' as they understand it.

It would be interesting to see other photographs of 19 Sqn Mustangs for the same time period.

Cheers.. Dave

AFAIK underwing serials came in post VE day as "Buzz numbers"  ( to allow identification of then unathorised low flying) so there maybe shots of "Dooleybird"  with and without?

I suspect the Matchbox era  art is based on Ducimus artwork

North%20American%20Mustang%20Camo%20&%20

and the photos

Are there others?

• Thanks 3

Rabbit, Troy, John: 

Yes, I hadn't taken in what they said in the instructions kindly posted by John in #336 so thanks all for that. It might have been smarter for Airfix to say on what date they are representing the aeroplane (a good idea for any decal provider) and /or point out that the aeroplane was used in substantially those colours both before and after VE-day, which I think is the real issue here - not whether it had them or not (both are overwhelmingly likely to be true) but on what dates it did and didn't.

Pity about the lack of under-wing serials on the sheet, I would have preferred to have them as they add a lot of character to what's otherwise a rather bland underside. Ah well, it won't stop me buying the kit and I'm sure I can cobble together the under-wing serial off a generic sheet, I imagine Xtradecal has something.

To give the artist his due, though, I note that he's correctly captured the undercarriage retraction slightly asymmetrically, better than the Matchbox artist did it! 

Edited by Work In Progress

1 hour ago, Brad-M said:

Are there pics of the sprues for the Mustang Mk IV/P-51K Mustang kit posted anywhere?

TIA

Brad

Would think that most of the sprues are exactly the same as the standard P-51 and F-51 kits, except the Aeroproducts prop would replace the Boozooka (P-51) and Uncuffed HS prop and Rockets (F-51) sprues respectively. Haven’t got mine yet however am sure someone will confirm this shortly. 

Cheers.. Dave 

I still don't understand why the edging of the anti-glare strip yellow on an otherwise blue and white decorated 19 Sqn plane.  Was Flt It Doley yellow flight commander or something?

Regards

Martin

3 hours ago, mike romeo said:

I still don't understand why the edging of the anti-glare strip yellow on an otherwise blue and white decorated 19 Sqn plane.  Was Flt It Doley yellow flight commander or something?

Regards

Martin

In a nutshell, yes. The letter to SAM stated that the CO's a/c had blue edging, and the two flight commanders had theirs edged in red and yellow.

Mark.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1