1/48 - North American P-51D/F-51D & Mustang lV/P-51K by Airfix - released

Homebee

3 hours ago, Nick Belbin said:

and Wow!! again!

I wasn't aware that Airfix had announced a 1/48 Walrus so that was good to read about! Let's hope the P40's out by Telford . . .

Nick

You need to vist the Rumourmonger forum more!

3 hours ago, Schweinebacke said:

Why another Mustang?  A Tempest would be more welcome I think.

1. it will sell a lot and make good money for Airfix - every company needs some big seller

2. it will be more accurate than those already on the market

3. it will be an easier build than those already on the market

4. It will have more options than those already on the market

It 's been a long time since the last 1/48th scale P-51 came out, OK it's a bit unfortunate that Meng and Eduard are also doing 1/48th scale P-51D's, but Airfix propbably didn't know that when they started this project, but I'm sure they will still sell a large amount. Sure there's other subject I would have preferred, but I think Airfix have make the right choice.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, snapper_city said:

What's wrong with the other 1/48 Mustang options? Why cant we have a new tool Vulcan, Hunter, Buccaneer,  Vampire, Jaguar,  Sea Fury, Comet etc etc...

Accuracy and the high price of the Hasegawa kit. The windscreen attachment design.

Just now, snapper_city said:

I doubt that. The Tamiya Mustang is probably the easiest 1:48 aircraft anyone could build.

When I say easier to build what I meant really is it will be easier to build to get a more accurate model. The Tamiya kit is fairly simple kit and fits well but the Airfix should fit well and be easy build with more options. To quote Airfix " Ultimately, they need to ensure the new kit will come together in a relatively simple and logical manner, without challenging the modeller too much, whilst building into an accurate representation of the subject aircraft. "

9 minutes ago, snapper_city said:

I doubt that. The Tamiya Mustang is probably the easiest 1:48 aircraft anyone could build.

Other than the Tamiya being a different variant to the new Airfix kit

(Don't shout at me though, the Tamiya Mustang is probably my favourite 1/48 kit),

4 hours ago, Schweinebacke said:

You could also say why a Tempest when Eduard are doing one (three different marks)?

Edited by Tbolt

It would be nice if Airfix would open up the gun bays on the P-51 as they did for their new 1/48 Spitfire and Hurricane.  That would certainly differentiate it from the competition.

Personally, more than happy for Airfix to put out popular types like the P-51 if it means they keep providing more esoteric types like the Walrus, Javelin and Sea Vixen.  Roll on the Fairey Battle, I say!! :) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gingerbob said:

Now if only we could get them IN the USA in a timely manner...

bob

Yeah no kidding. Still waiting for those 1:48 Defiants to get back in stock..............grrrrrrr.

But I digress.

5 hours ago, Schweinebacke said:

Couldn't agree more. Ok, it's a business and they'll get a better turnover from a bf109 Spitstang rather than a 1/48 Gannet AEW but how many more kits like this can the market support? Is it really going to be that much better than the Tamiya offering.

Fair play to them for the Walrus though. That's the sort of thing Matchbox would have sprung on us back in the day.

1 minute ago, goggsy said:

Couldn't agree more. Ok, it's a business and they'll get a better turnover from a bf109 Spitstang rather than a 1/48 Gannet AEW but how many more kits like this can the market support? Is it really going to be that much better than the Tamiya offering.

Fair play to them for the Walrus though. That's the sort of thing Matchbox would have sprung on us back in the day.

Well if Airfix get it right, then yes it should be that much better than the Tamiya kit - correct wheel wells, separate control surfaces, a more detailed cockpit, windscreen built in as part of the fuselage and optional filter outlet vents. Probably a few other areas where it will improve as well. Would have been even better if they did away with the appropriate panel lines on the wings to save filling them.

• Like 1

Double post, mods please get rid.

Edited by goggsy

A safe revenue earning choice.

it'll be interesting to see if they load the initial boxing with the parts for other versions. Sounds like a filletless tail is on the cards and we can see a DF loop option and Bazooka Rocket launchers. 

Hopefully an Aeroproducts prop turns up. 

I must agree with most of the others. I have all the mustangs I would ever want. The ICM and Tamiya ones are just fine if not even better than fine. I would also prefer one of the other models listed by the others. Such as the Tempests. Or especially a DH Hornet. Or even a new GOOD Seafury. The one I would REALLY LOVE to see is a Bristol Brigand. Never done in 1/4 scale in any format.

Edited by Otakar
  • Like 1

Couldn't agree more. Ok, it's a business and they'll get a better turnover from a bf109 Spitstang rather than a 1/48 Gannet AEW but how many more kits like this can the market support? Is it really going to be that much better than the Tamiya offering?

33 minutes ago, Tbolt said:

Well if Airfix get it right, then yes it should be that much better than the Tamiya kit - correct wheel wells, separate control surfaces, a more detailed cockpit, windscreen built in as part of the fuselage and optional filter outlet vents. Probably a few other areas where it will improve as well. Would have been even better if they did away with the appropriate panel lines on the wings to save filling them.

Fair enough, I hadn't realised it was that awful. I've got a few in the stash so I guess I'll have to suffer the inaccuracies. 

11 minutes ago, goggsy said:

Couldn't agree more. Ok, it's a business and they'll get a better turnover from a bf109 Spitstang rather than a 1/48 Gannet AEW but how many more kits like this can the market support? Is it really going to be that much better than the Tamiya offering?

Fair enough, I hadn't realised it was that awful. I've got a few in the stash so I guess I'll have to suffer the inaccuracies. 

I never said they were awful, just showing there age a bit. The Airfix will cost about the same as the Tamiya kit, but you won't have to throw some expensive resin at it to get an accurate kit.

Hopefully Airfix will get the details right and correct all the errors on 99% of most folks go to Mustang kit...the Tamiya 1/48

Get the spinner/prop right,wheelwells...flaps..etc

Also take a look at Tamiya's 1/32 P-51 to get the windscreen/canopy right,separate control surfaces would get great..

Also Airfix please take alook at those early Meng Snapkit CAD models...at look at the way they plan to do the lower doghouse/radiator area too avoid ugly seams.

Only other things would be maybe a optional tail break for the early -5 non DFF Mustangs,and maybe separate Leading Edge gun muzzle inserts Ala 1/32 Tamiya as cleaning up that area on the older 1/48 kit is a PITA.

Whatever happens I'll pick some up and the Meng kit....and eventually Eduard....you can never have enough Mustangs

• Like 4

I've built a Tamiya Mustang or two and they're fine kits, but I'd rather spend my money on a (I was going to say British product, but as the kits are going to be made in China or India) kit from a British-based company.  I'm sure Airfix will find some interesting colour schemes and current production values may help them break into the market of the worshippers at the temple of Hasefujimiya (if they can get over how wonderful the new Airfix 1/48th P-40 is).  Also sales of Hasefujimiya Mustangs don't do Airfix's sales figures any favours.

31 minutes ago, Otakar said:

I must agree with most of the others. I have all the mustangs I would ever want. The ICM and Tamiya ones are just fine if not even better than fine. I would also prefer one of the other models listed by the others. Such as the Tempests. Or especially a DH Hornet. Or even a new GOOD Seafury. The one I would REALLY LOVE to see is a Bristol Brigand. Never done in 1/4 scale in any format.

I've got a few Tamiya Mustang's which I will still build and may not necessarily buy the Airfix kit, but I would love a 1/48th Brigand or Hornet (I'll wait for the Eduard Tempest). Airfix can't only produce types like the Brigand or Hornet as they wouldn't sell enough and they wouldn't be in business very long, you need a mix of the very popular types in there as well.

I think the clue is in the blurb. The more people you ask, the more accurate the poll.

Probably won't buy one myself but am happy for those who will. Mystic Trevor predicts that one boxing will be 19 Sqn's "Dooley Bird". 

Will the the lettering be blue......or red........?

I am disappointed with the choice of a Mustang as the market has many of them already so it has to be either cheaper than the Tamiya kits and others or so good that people will buy it in preference. But, and this is a big but, if it has many working parts and is hugely accurate the price will be pushed up and less people will buy it. I have a need for many P-51D Mustangs for my RAAF collection and the newer kit probably won't feature unless I can be convinced that it is better or cheaper than the Tamiya/ICM kits I have.

As Airfix showed with the Defiant and Meteor, and most likely the P-40, they can sell large numbers of models that have not been touched by other mainstream manufacturers,

Edited by Harvs73
Typo correction

32 minutes ago, Harvs73 said:

I am disappointed with the choice of a Mustang as the market has many of them already so it has to be either cheaper than the Tamiya kits and others or so good that people will buy it in preference. But, and this is a big but, if it has many working parts and is hugely accurate the price will be pushed up and less people will buy it. I have a need for many P-51D Mustangs for my RAAF collection and the newer kit probably won't feature unless I can be convinced that it is better or cheaper than the Tamiya/ICM kits I have.

As Airfix showed with the Defiant and Meteor, and most likely the B-40, they can sell large numbers of models that have not been touched by other mainstream manufacturers,

Well the P-40 price has gone up here in the UK to £1 more than the Tamiya kit, so I would expect the P-51 to be the same price, though in other countries it may work out cheaper. My guess is it will be better than the Tamiya kit, not enough to make people ditch the Tamiya kit, but enough to make me buy it over the Tamiya kit.