1/48 - North American P-51D/F-51D & Mustang lV/P-51K by Airfix - released

Homebee

On 10/21/2016 at 0:42 PM, PLC1966 said:

Other than the Tamiya being a different variant to the new Airfix kit

(Don't shout at me though, the Tamiya Mustang is probably my favourite 1/48 kit),

Hey PLC. Can you explain what you mean about the different variant? To me, it's a Tamiya P-51D and an Airfix P-51D, or are you talking about sub-variants/blocks/whatever? It'll be nice if, as Airfix states, one will be able to do all the iterations of the D variant, including those lacking the tail fillet. It'll also be nice if Airfix engineers the sliding canopy as one piece, eliminating the difficulty of joining the clear part to the frame without marring the former.

I'm kinda wondering why a number of posters to this thread seem to reject the P-51 as a subject worth building. Is it that it's an American plane? Is it that one (usually) has to deal with a natural metal finish? It's not as if there aren't a ton of colorful markings options, and the Mustang was just about as important/iconic an aircraft as the Spitfire (which, I hasten to add, I love as much as the next guy).

Edited by Seawinder

38 minutes ago, Seawinder said:

I'm kinda wondering why a number of posters to this thread seem to reject the P-51 as a subject worth building. Is it that it's an American plane? Is it that one (usually) has to deal with a natural metal finish? It's not as if there aren't a ton of colorful markings options, and the Mustang was just about as important/iconic an aircraft as the Spitfire (which, I hasten to add, I love as much as the next guy).

I think most people are saying that they do see it as a subject worth building but that they feel it's adequately covered already and would rather have had something more original. I've built quite a few Mustangs over the years, mostly in 1/72. Most recently, I built the new Airfix 1/72 kit as a Korean War RF-51: it's a good kit but I don't feel the need to scrap and replace the F-51 that I built for the same theme a few years ago from the Hasegawa moulding. I wanted another Mustang; it was the Airfix one that happened to be in my local shop, at a decent price, so that's the one I bought. However, if I'd had another Hasegawa kit in the stash, I would have used that as a basis for the RF-51: it's good enough for me. Just my view, others undoubtedly see things differently, but generally, if a kit already exists for a subject I'm interested in, it's likely I'll have one - or several - laid down and already paid for. So long as it's to a reasonable standard, I'm not disposed to junk it and shell out for a new tool that includes a bit more detail which I can live without - the more so in the light of the swingeing price rises that Airfix have just announced, again. I'ld rather save my cash for something else, such as a subject that's not been kitted before or at least hasn't been kitted to a standard that I personally am happy to accept.

• Like 2

Why you say?.....Just because...

article-0-11AC3AC2000005DC-554_634x286_z

It's not rocket science folks...Airfix are in it to make money,and a 1/48 P-51D/Mustang IV will rake in far more money long term than some of the more oddball subjects they have in the line up..

If you think blah...not another Mustang,well fair enough...don't buy it then. But for all those in the no thanks camp,there's a ton of us who say bring it on.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, AWFK10 said:

I think most people are saying that they do see it as a subject worth building but that they feel it's adequately covered already and would rather have had something more original.......... Just my view, others undoubtedly see things differently, but generally, if a kit already exists for a subject I'm interested in, it's likely I'll have one - or several - laid down and already paid for. So long as it's to a reasonable standard, I'm not disposed to junk it and shell out for a new tool that includes a bit more detail which I can live without - the more so in the light of the swingeing price rises that Airfix have just announced, again. I'ld rather save my cash for something else, such as a subject that's not been kitted before or at least hasn't been kitted to a standard that I personally am happy to accept.

That's exactly how I feel - well put! 

Keith (who has two 1/48 Tamiya & one Hasegawa 1/48th Mustangs in stock, but no (decent) 1/72 Sea Vixens, Buccaneers or Javelins...!!)

If Airfix can add some RAF specific parts to the kit such as the nose louvres and the P-51K propeller as well as the D propeller,...then it will add something new to the party. I recommend Airfix look at the book `Southern Cross Mustang`s;,..... it covers Mustangs flown by the RAAF & RNZAF including thise flown by the Aussie units in Italy and has lots of superb info on the type in Commonwealth service. 

Cheers

Tony 

• Like 3

I agree,

If you look at the CAD renderings Airfix Posted. Which are there to generate conversations such as this.. Then as Tony says you can see the Mustang IV nose Louveres. They also are showing the DF loop and they mention  early and late versions which hints at the tail fillet. If you added to that an Aeroproducts prop and 'Dallas Hood'. Then you'd also get a 'K' out of the base tooling. 

So so plenty of potential for it to be a great kit.

Plasto

• Like 1

Looking forward to this one.. I have built several Tamiya B/C and Ds, am building a 32nd scale one from them and have another in the stash - and yet I still will get this times many.. You cannot have too many Mustangs..

;)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Paramedic said:

Looking forward to this one.. I have built several Tamiya B/C and Ds, am building a 32nd scale one from them and have another in the stash - and yet I still will get this times many.. You cannot have too many Mustangs..

;)

That's pretty much where I'm at. I've actually only built three (1/48) -Ds: a couple of old Revells and one Hasegawa. I certainly won't junk the one Tamiya kit in my stash, but I'll still look forward to obtaining/building one of the new Airfix kits. Might even do it as an RAF bird.

On Friday, October 21, 2016 at 8:51 PM, stever219 said:

Also sales of Hasefujimiya Mustangs don't do Airfix's sales figures any favours.

While that's basically true, we have to be aware that modelling /kit building isn't a real mass hobby anymore. And with a lot of basically good competition on the market, there's a risk the kit doesn't make enough money. A risk Not existing regarding 1/48 and 1/72 Vampires and Venoms , at least from a competition PoV. Same for 48th Blenheims. 

5 hours ago, Paramedic said:

;)

Hi Paramedic

Surely you meant Spitfires in your last sentence? :winkgrin:

Hat, coat, door.......

DC

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, tempestfan said:

While that's basically true, we have to be aware that modelling /kit building isn't a real mass hobby anymore. And with a lot of basically good competition on the market, there's a risk the kit doesn't make enough money. A risk Not existing regarding 1/48 and 1/72 Vampires and Venoms , at least from a competition PoV. Same for 48th Blenheims. 

Good point. Most of us will have one or multiple P-51 kits in stash. So it is to consider to trade these in or keep them - depending on the quality and the price of the new kit. I did sell several kits in the past for which new tool kits were announced - but sometimes did not. After some days in agony about another new tool Mustang I guess I might get one or two Airfix kits but not so sure yet. I am quite happy that Airfix at last made a proper wheel well - the resin aftermarket sets are a PITA to install.

René

4 minutes ago, Caerbannog said:

Good point. Most of us will have one or multiple P-51 kits in stash. So it is to consider to trade these in or keep them - depending on the quality and the price of the new kit. I did sell several kits in the past for which new tool kits were announced - but sometimes did not. After some days in agony about another new tool Mustang I guess I might get one or two Airfix kits but not so sure yet. I am quite happy that Airfix at last made a proper wheel well - the resin aftermarket sets are a PITA to install.

René

Well, there are other markets than the British one. So if they can keep prices down, and produce something at least as good as the Japanese kits, it may sell better in the US. A Vampire would definitely be something the Americans will ignore. And then, you should not overlook a recent developments, e.g., in Scandinavia where Airfix boxes are popping up in supermarkets and similar places. Those red boxes are eyecatching so maybe this is also a reason for some of the popular choices this year, such as the ME 262 and now the Mustang.

• Like 1

My impression is that Airfix tends to be on a similar price level as Japanese kits in the US. And the Americans seem to have a very high regard for things Tamigawa, not so much for Airfix.  If that's correct on both accounts, the new Airfix will have to compete with everything that has come before  (and I think the venerable Monogram also has its followers especially in the US) there and elsewhere, while a Vampire is essentially competition free anywhere, and was used by the air forces of a number of important European markets, like France, Italy, Sweden, Switzerland, besides the RAF.

17 hours ago, AWFK10 said:

I wanted another Mustang; it was the Airfix one that happened to be in my local shop, at a decent price, so that's the one I bought.

And that, my dears, is all the justification Airfix needs.

3 hours ago, tempestfan said:

And with a lot of basically good competition on the market, there's a risk the kit doesn't make enough money. A risk Not existing regarding 1/48 and 1/72 Vampires and Venoms , at least from a competition PoV. Same for 48th Blenheims. 

I venture to guess that one tenth the market share of Mustang kits sold is worth more than 90% of the Venom market, worldwide.

3 hours ago, NPL said:

A Vampire would definitely be something the Americans will ignore.

Not this American, but as a generality 'tis correct enough.

38 minutes ago, tempestfan said:

And the Americans seem to have a very high regard for things Tamigawa, not so much for Airfix. 

I think there's some truth to that, and I'd suggest deservedly so, historically.  But imagine if the truth gradually came out that, for example, the best Spitfire Mk.I or Hurricane Mk.I or <gasp!> P-51D in 1/48 was, in fact, an Airfix kit.  Even we head-in-the-sand arrogant colonials are beginning to notice.  And if Airfix managed to get production and distribution sorted out, they could probably sell a fair number of kits in the USA.  But if I walk into the hobby shop- sorry, if I go to the big US online model retailers- and the new great Airfix kits are not in stock, well...

bob

bob

• Like 2

6 hours ago, k5054nz said:

If only I hadn't just finished Mustangs by ICM and Tamiya! Now I need to find another subject to justify this!

Wellwith 3 new P-51/s next year, let's hope some new interesting/improved decals turn up.

Edited by Tbolt
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, gingerbob said:

And if Airfix managed to get production and distribution sorted out, they could probably sell a fair number of kits in the USA.  But if I walk into the hobby shop- sorry, if I go to the big US online model retailers- and the new great Airfix kits are not in stock, well...

That's a fairly important part of the equation - you have to have the kits in the marketplace, not on endless back order. Re the 10 % of world wide Mustang sales - I'd be really interested how many kits are actually sold. A Vampire or Venom would be bought by certain people who quite unexpectedly find themselves with three or more Shackletons, Blenheims, Whitleys, Defiants, or Meteors, or even big Typhoons :whistle: While the same people may not necessarily bolster Airfix's Mustang sales.

• Like 1

The operative phrase being "at a decent price". Without wanting to start a debate about what constitutes a reasonable price for a particular kit - which is something we each have to decide for ourselves, depending on all sorts of personal factors - Airfix have passed the point where I would make an impulse purchase of something that I might build, one day. I used to: for instance, I bought 4 1/72 Spitfire IXs when the kit was released, not so very long ago (I confess I don't actually remember buying four of them but I've built one and there are undeniably three more in the garage.....). The price on the box is £5.70. If, for the sake of argument, Airfix produced another, better, new mould Spit IX at £12.99 - I wouldn't buy one. I wouldn't, on impulse, buy another copy of the existing kit at the current price for that range of £9.99. I've got what I need and unlike the price of the kit, my income hasn't increased by 75% over the last 8 years. For the same reason - I've already got a kit of the same subject that meets my requirements - I didn't buy Airfix's He 111 (now £27.99) or C-47 (£30.99), and I won't be buying their Victor (£59.99). I did, however, buy and build the Airfix BE2c and if they were to release a hitherto unkitted subject that falls into one of my areas of interest, Airfix might well get my money again. If I wanted to build another 1/48 P-51D, however, I'ld hunt out the Monogram one that's somewhere in the garage (at least, I think it is !).

• Like 1

On 24/10/2016 at 3:31 AM, AWFK10 said:

the more so in the light of the swingeing price rises that Airfix have just announced, again.

Extreme, excessive or punishing rises? I'd have thought that they were reasonable in the face of the steep fall in the value of the pound. Even Airfix employees need to pay for their pints you know.

Shane

• Like 2

It will sell, be at the right price point and enable profit rather than turnover. Some will wring their hands and moan about accuracy for this and that. End of the day it will make money and hopefully enable them to meet the needs of those who prefer the less popular stuff (Me for one) Give me a 1/48 Fairey Battle or HP Hampden any day over the Mustang. However will I buy it, will I put it in the stash for  a while then will I build it? Most definitely