Airfix Swordfish MkI to MkII

fightersweep

Hi all;

As the title says (and apologies if this has been covered before), I was just wondering what I need to do to convert the Airfix Swordfish Mk I to a Mk II. I'm looking at representing the RNHF's LS326 as she was in the early 1980's if that helps. Asking here as I know very little about the Stringbag. Have to say though, the new Airfix kit is lovely!

Thanks in advance!

Best regards;
Steve

• Like 1

Hi again Steve,

The late Edgar Brooks posted this and although it shows the earlier radar installation associated with the Mk III Swordfish, the position of the boxes within the cockpit resemble the installation found on the Mk II Swordfish.

PICT0108_zpswfydb94b.jpg

Cheers,

Daniel.

• Like 1

On ‎20‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 9:10 PM, dogsbody said:

The only real difference that' I'm aware of is the Mk.II had a strengthened lower wing fitted with  metal skinning, for the fitting of RP launch rails.

Chris

Two features of later production Swordfish were the deepened oil cooler on the starboard side of the forward fuselage and the rather more flamboyant generator cooling pipes on top of the nose.

The RNHF's MK1 appears to sport the later MK2 generator cooling pipes (although they may have been retrofitted to some MK1s).  most (all?) MK2s and all MK3s also adopted the more powerful Pegasus XXX engine.

Edited by detail is everything

I know that Pavla produce a resin set that provides the enlarged oil cooler and another part (no idea what it is!) and a second set that provides the longer exhaust pipe but other than the RP plate what would I need to do to the lower wing? I can't seem to find a single decent photograph of the area in question!

Cheers

DC

ISTR Dave Fleming posted a photo of the relevant area sometime around when the Airfix kit first came out.  Just no ribbing.  TBH, and IIRC, it didn't look that much different. 

Edit: here's a more recent thread showing Tony O'Toole's mods to the Airfix wing with a photo of the real thing:

Edited by Seahawk
  • Like 1

On ‎24‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 8:35 AM, DaveCromie said:

I know that Pavla produce a resin set that provides the enlarged oil cooler and another part (no idea what it is!) and a second set that provides the longer exhaust pipe but other than the RP plate what would I need to do to the lower wing? I can't seem to find a single decent photograph of the area in question!

Cheers

DC

The other part is the rather more flamboyant generator cooling pipes I was talking about in my previous post.

U72-135%20%20Fairey%20Swordfish%20Mk%20I

U72-136%20%20Fairey%20Swordfish.jpg

If possible check photographs of the intended airframe to see generator cooling pipe arrangement as sometimes one pipe was missing.

The same goes for which exhaust was used.

• Like 1

Cheers Seahawk

that link looks like it shows all I need to know.

Cheers Detail is Everything

I have been trying to work out what they were for ages! Sage advice re checking photos too

Thanks guys, the BM posse comes up trumps as usual :)

DC