Concorde 1/72 - Heller, no Airfix, no Revell

CedB

I'm awe-struck, Ced. Those transfers on top of the wing look as though they were effortless, even though we all know that they weren't. Fantastic result all round.

I'm with HP - the most beautiful aeroplane ever designed, built and flown. The perfect plane.

• Like 3

Ced, have just caught up with your build, absolutely brilliant, she was/is a most beautiful aircraft, you have done her proud, what would Concorde have looked like in the BOAC colours of the VC10 and 707 (sorry perhaps not a good thing to include the 707).

Well done Ced

ATB 

Jim

• Like 3

Beautiful work Ced

I'd be pretty convinced the decals are correct and well... we know the kit has its foibles.. :)

After asking Revell for replacement fuselage parts (well warped) I have been informed they don't have any left. So, I'm on my own with geting the fuselage I have into shape (literally).

Matt

• Like 1

Matt, you could try the immersion-in-hot-water trick to see if the original mould-memory is returned to, although given the success of my advice, you might end up with an even worse shape. Others here will no doubt have an opinion on this, too.

I can see the chain of events regarding the transfers as something like the following:

Revell: DACO, can you please supply us a comprehensive set of 1/72 markings for the kit wot we got orf Airfix/Heller?

DACO: No worries, we will get right on it. Bon Giorno, kids, we have a Concorde set in 1/72 to produce, let us use the factory drawing to us assist!

DACO: Revell, we have done it. Here is your markings set.

Revell: Bewdy! You haf done excellent werke, here's many Lira/Euros.

Revell: Zese transfers don't fit! _ing DACO!

DACO: We useda da factory drawings, so they are 200 % accurate!

Revell: :rant: Airfix...

Maybe Airfix will do a retool one day - but I wouldna hold ma breath...

Cheers,

Alex :sheep: <-- not a fuselage half

• Like 3

5 hours ago, CedB said:

Yes, it did drive me insane. Yes, they did twist, stick, break and all the usual issues with long transfers (the dots on the back of the wing are a single transfer). There was cussing.

But what a pay off!!!! I'd offer up some British expletive to describe my excitement, but I'd likely end up looking a poseur

I say this just about every time you finish a build, but I STILL can't believe the rate at which you finish kits! Hats off Buffers!

• Like 2

Wow managed to miss this Ced, I remember that kit well, a friend of my mum for me when I was younger not knowing I wasn't up to the task as a non modeller.......you clearly are very much up to it it, looks a stunner, sure will look even better in the RFI pics :)

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 1

Finally she's done and posted in the RFI.

Thanks everyone for your help, advice, support and, of course, for keeping the thread going while my mojo wained.

I've had a search through the stash for something easy and decided on a Hobbyboss Do-335. WiP here, come on over - you'll be very welcome!

(I tried to edit replies into this post but it was not to be - new post below)

• Like 3

16 hours ago, bbudde said:

Oh congrats for having tamed the beast. She's looking very fine in a good angle on the desktop. :goodjob::thumbsup:

16 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

She does look so elegantly poised there Ced.

Simon.

Thanks Benedikt and Simon.

16 hours ago, Space Ranger said:

Careful! You'll put an eye out!

Thanks Michael - I'll be careful! I've just navigated the stairs and doors out to the garden for the RFI shots... and was very careful!

16 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Well done Ced! I've seen lion-tamers have to deal with less than you have on this build. Congratulations.

BTW, that text in the documents on your desk is almost legible - let's be careful sir.:bobby:

Tony

Thanks Tony - good point and I'll be more careful in the future. That said, if anyone does want to set up my company pension scheme...

15 hours ago, Sheepie said:

Great work! Definitely motivating me to finish my one!

Thanks Sheepie - your build was a great help and yours is so close to the end too.

15 hours ago, giemme said:

Let there be wine!! :drink: 

Turned out great, looking forward to the RFI  pics! :clap::clap: 

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio - link below!

15 hours ago, Nigel Heath said:

Looks great with the neat visor providing an excellent focal point which draws the eye. Good work on those long transfers which are almost always a right pain.

Thanks Nigel - I did take extra care on the nose and visor and I'm pleased it paid off, distracting from all the other not-so-good bits!

14 hours ago, Leonl said:

Cracking job Ced, you've truly produced a thing of beauty! Love it!

Thanks Leon.

14 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Now that does look nice!

I'll bet you are saying "oh, the decals weren't too bad really" already...

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian - my mind is slowly filtering out the pain and, luckily, there are no obvious 'you should have taken more care' bits. Phew!

13 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Looking really sharp Ced!  B)

For future reference, if you are working with acrylics on an underlying surface that is fully cured, you can clean up and get nice straight lines using a pointy cocktail stick.....If the underlying surface is gloss it's an absolute doddle, it's one of the main reasons I like using acrylics for detail painting (and copious Klear between coats).  

FWIW

PS - Masive kudos for persevering with all those tiny stencils.....I'm considering entering 'Prevaricator Of The Year' with my own efforts on the Bf.110 (still got a couple to do).  :blush:

Thanks Andy. Great tip on the cocktail stick - I have been doing that on and off and thought I'd just got lucky!

13 hours ago, HP42 said:

Looking really fab Ced! I'm just hoping the Airfix decal offering is better and lines up when the time comes for mine. ;) Now I've cut the door opening I'm wondering how that will affect the door decal, I'm expecting to have to chop it up somewhat.

I've been away all weekend so no progress on mine. Now you're finished I feel I've lost a build buddy. :unsure: Still, I'm enjoying mine come to a very slow fruition and also realising that an out of the box build without all the trappings probably makes for a lot more fun.

Let's have some nice piccys in the RFI section when the suns shines. It's a big job to build but does look great when finished, arguably the most beautiful aircraft ever built.

Sooo, what next Ced?

Thanks Phil. I'll be following yours and encouraging you as you go along. Good luck with the rest of the build.

13 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Absolutely pigging stunning (technical terms them!)

What a gorgeous thing to be able to gaze at wistfully whilst not working!

Strange about the decal issues, Daco have a pretty good reputation for accuracy with their civvie decals...

Whatever, top job with a fab end result again Ced! :thumbsup: Award yourself a G&T or two!

Keith

Thanks Keith! I blame the model...

13 hours ago, Mark4700 said:

Looking fantastic. One very minor point, might it look better with the stand painted black?

Thanks Mark - the instructions would have you paint it gloss blue but I like it white - personal choice I guess.

12 hours ago, AlexN said:

I'm awe-struck, Ced. Those transfers on top of the wing look as though they were effortless, even though we all know that they weren't. Fantastic result all round.

I'm with HP - the most beautiful aeroplane ever designed, built and flown. The perfect plane.

Thanks Alex - agreed she is a beauty.

12 hours ago, dieselweasel said:

Ced, have just caught up with your build, absolutely brilliant, she was/is a most beautiful aircraft, you have done her proud, what would Concorde have looked like in the BOAC colours of the VC10 and 707 (sorry perhaps not a good thing to include the 707).

Well done Ced

ATB 

Jim

Thanks Jim. I think the Airfix kit came with BOAC markings. I'm really, really please that BA changed the scheme and dropped the thin strip all the way along the fuselage. 

12 hours ago, Mattlow said:

Beautiful work Ced

I'd be pretty convinced the decals are correct and well... we know the kit has its foibles.. :)

After asking Revell for replacement fuselage parts (well warped) I have been informed they don't have any left. So, I'm on my own with geting the fuselage I have into shape (literally).

Matt

Thanks Matt. Not so good news on the replacement parts but if it's the middle sections they're quite thin and, with the strengtheners inside, you might be able to clamp it to death? I'll keep an eye on your build and keep my fingers crossed!

11 hours ago, modelglue said:

But what a pay off!!!! I'd offer up some British expletive to describe my excitement, but I'd likely end up looking a poseur

I say this just about every time you finish a build, but I STILL can't believe the rate at which you finish kits! Hats off Buffers!

Thanks Jeffers. This has (for me) been a slog with lots of mojo-draining problems but I'm happy it's done now. Finally.

4 hours ago, Beard said:

It doe look very nice indeed.

Thanks Simon

1 hour ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Wow managed to miss this Ced, I remember that kit well, a friend of my mum for me when I was younger not knowing I wasn't up to the task as a non modeller.......you clearly are very much up to it it, looks a stunner, sure will look even better in the RFI pics :)

Thanks Stu. I'd agree it's not for the faint hearted - the only instructions I've seen that actually tell you to trowel on the filler!

• Like 3

13 hours ago, modelglue said:

Everyone is very kind and says nothing when I do it.

Well done, Lord Buffers of Buffington Manor! I usually skip the stencils for the exact reasons you've run into, but my word does it look nice finished.

• Like 3

Thanks PC!

Your British expletives (and Jeff's) are always appreciated and, I think, part of your character... no poseurs spotted on this forum!

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Space Ranger said:

Those decals were a country mile off. You have to wonder how a manufacturer could get it so obviously wrong.

-

Could it be that the decals are right, but the kit is wrong??

-

Strange about the decal issues, Daco have a pretty good reputation for accuracy with their civvie decals..

Well, in my defense, I designed the decals based on the real Concordes, trying to fix all the panel and door shape errors by giving more correct decals.

I even don't understand how the kit designers were not able to get the tail outline correct...

So for all who are going to build a 1/72 Concorde: just fill all panels and doors and you'll get a bit more accurate Concorde ...

Too late for you, sorry I didn't catch this topic sooner

Danny Coremans

DACO Products

• Like 12

Splendido job Sir Buffers,it really looks the part. Mucho vin consumption to celebrate a most successful conclusion I'd say.

I think(in response to dieselweasel)that in the old BOAC colours of the 60's(much loved by the young Miggers on Vicky 10's and 707's incidentally),

she'd look a damned sight faster than in BA's schemes.

BTW Cedders,pipe up if you need safety glasses whist seated a said desk(eye-eye)and how about blowing the stand in in sky blue?

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply Ced, i still like the BOAC scheme even with the thin cheat line along the Fuselage, will have to see if i can find an old kit the BOAC markings.

Lovely model Ced 

ATB

Jim

• Like 1

Thanks Danny and great to have a definitive answer. I will say the decals were a joy to apply - probably the best part of the kit!

Thanks Miggers - I quite like the newer scheme myself, very contemporary! I'll watch out for my eyes. I did think about spraying the stand blue with patches left for clouds but I was too happy to get her done!

Thanks Jim. You might be able to pick up an older kit but, if not, I'm sure I saw some decals somewhere on the 'net.

Danny do feel free to chip in if you can help!

Edit: @HP42 @Caerbannog @Mattlow and others attempting the build, I suggest you follow @daco advice - much easier and more accurate!

• Like 1

Bravo Buffers! I'm sure PC won't mind if I say we're sorry for our part in putting you through this, but what a mighty beast she is now she's done. Hope the effort and perseverance feels worth it, it should, because the finished result is beautiful. Next time I go to pay my respects at East Fortune I shall stand an extra moment and salute you! Slainte!

• Like 1

Thanks Alex

Thanks John for your company and stories - great stuff - keep it up!

Thanks Jon. Yes, it is all your fault (and PC's) but you're forgiven. Now it's over, she's a great addition to the collection, despite all her faults and foibles.

• Like 2

Danny thanks for coming in and clarifying what happened about these markings

It seemed there was a huge problem, given my personal history and interests I am glad to take back my criticism and blame the kit, hoorah

(I used to work in the transfers business when I left school...back in the days of the Beatles)

And we've all had bad plastic to wrestle with. ;)

Ced I have watched you go from quite the tyro with the Spit into a dedicated, brilliant awesome modeller

Well done mate, Conky is a tour de force

• Like 3

On ‎28‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 7:47 AM, CedB said:

Thanks Tony - phew... I take full blame for thinking that these were other than, er, sanding tool suggestions. I shall give my mind a clean with a suitable agent, possibly IPA sprayed in the ears. :)

Thanks Alex - the 'black' did sink in and just to make sure you're happy here's what I bought:

30923158200_fc12ec126a.jpg

240, 400, 800 and 1200 grits.

Thanks Bill. That little block looks like just the job and I'll try to find something similar for the black AND wet W&D. I have some small wire brushes to clean the files but I'll try to find some file card - memories of the school metalwork shop!

That said the nail file seems to be doing a great job and I think I'm finished on the nose and fin. Just the back join to do and a clean up on the wing roots, then another coat of primer I think. Soon I'm hoping to get the little bits stuck on (probably before the primer), then the Appliance White, and then I can have some fun with the engines...

Sorry it's taking so long, not one of my favourite jobs and I'm having to discipline myself to make any progress. Sand, sand, fill, fill...

Hi Folks,

If I may, I'd recommend the 'rubber block' that is Screwfix's Titan Abrasive Belt Cleaner - it seems to work on abrasive papers & cloths eg w&d and Micromesh, and steel/carborundum files/grindstones by taking/rolling the debris out of the media. I really can't praise it enough (usual disclaimers etc)

I expect that there are other versions available but mine was from Screwfix

Good luck!

BTW what a fantastic build  Ced, that is...........phenomenal.

I have considered the 1/144 version but even that is too  big for me.....1:72... madness!

Ain't we all enjoying it?

Cheers,

Geoff

• Like 1

Thanks Geoff - seconded! I bought one after your recommendation in PC's Yak thread and it works well for me too (except where the clogging is not-cured filler)

• Like 1