Concorde 1/72 - Heller, no Airfix, no Revell

CedB

Thanks Alex.

'tis done:

30491150144_f093bceb6e_z.jpg

The fan heater was on for an hour or so before and it was certainly warm enough for me in just a shirt. I think I got lucky picking up the can of 'Appliance White' as it's no longer on the Halfords web site - I looked it up to check the drying time. Their new stuff is 'touch dry' in 10 minutes but I expect it to be smelly for much longer so I'll leave her in the garage, with the heater on, for a while longer.

Then it's on with the nose pipe (pitot?), off with the masking tape (gulp) and on with the transfers (double gulp!)

• Like 15

Hi Ced!

Great progress on the paint!

A quick heads-up on the decals,I found the ones in My airfix boxing very thin,to the extent that they were trying to fold under the backing sheet as you tried to slide them off,I found that you need to use a lot of water to float them onto the surface (moist won't do!) . They were nice and opaque though!

Your decals may be different though,as I said,just a heads up!

Keep Sticking!    Cheers, Pete

• Like 2

That's very white Ced, just like a supersonic fridge....!!! :D

Seriously she's looking rather lovely!

Thanks for the reply re. the electric nail file (& apols for my tardy response, spent the last two days at daughters in Hampshire getting her horse to horse hospital). Think I might just buy one for myself & not show the boss it at all.... !!

Keith

• Like 2

Hi Ced Looks great so far  The heater is good for that large one today. Today I just sprayed an old Matchbox BMW M1 on my balkony at about 1 to -1°C and it worked well ( mesmerized by that). Not really my skill, but I love those fast drying colors, where you can put it inwards after beeing touch dried at almost 20 minutes (normally up to 10 in the summer) at that temperature outside to let them dry constantly. Cheers

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Thanks for the reply re. the electric nail file (& apols for my tardy response, spent the last two days at daughters in Hampshire getting her horse to horse hospital). Think I might just buy one for myself & not show the boss it at all.... !!

Keith

What a horse?,I say old boy,keeping a horse from Memsahib Keith might be multo difficulto,the nail file,well maybe get away with that though;).

Surely you took daughter's gee-gee to the horse-pital?Neigh?:doh:.................

Jolly good work indeed Cedricator Much Gulping,s'comin on a treat.

Edited by Miggers
  • Like 4

Looking good Ced. I'm wondering how I'm going to spray mine. It's a bit big for the utility room and nowhere else is warm enough. Might have to find a sunny Saturday morning and warm the can first?

I'm still bogged down with the undercarriage. Loads of work to do but did a bit more tonight and the UC now stands up with its wheels on, hurrah! Looking forward to seeing the decals go on yours. I have this nagging doubt mine will fold up and disintegrate before my eyes.:( Which scheme are you opting for? I'm going to do the most modern retirement scheme, looks best to my eyes but that's a personal choice. I want mine finished before Christmas so I can do something else, can't cope with all this delayed gratification malarkey ;). 

Thinking ahead, how do you seal the decals after using Appliance White or similar?

• Like 2

Thanks Giorgio, Tony and Simon, very kind :) 

On 11/29/2016 at 12:43, morty_3333 said:

Hi Ced!

Great progress on the paint!

A quick heads-up on the decals,I found the ones in My airfix boxing very thin,to the extent that they were trying to fold under the backing sheet as you tried to slide them off,I found that you need to use a lot of water to float them onto the surface (moist won't do!) . They were nice and opaque though!

Your decals may be different though,as I said,just a heads up!

Keep Sticking!    Cheers, Pete

Hi Pete and thanks for the warning. The Revell decals look to be OK but I'll be careful - fingers crossed!

20 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Keith

Thanks Keith. Go on, buy one, I don't think you'll regret it (only try searching for prices first!)

Miggers you get a groan for the puns... :deadhorse: 

19 hours ago, bbudde said:

Hi Ced Looks great so far  The heater is good for that large one today. Today I just sprayed an old Matchbox BMW M1 on my balkony at about 1 to -1°C and it worked well ( mesmerized by that). Not really my skill, but I love those fast drying colors, where you can put it inwards after beeing touch dried at almost 20 minutes (normally up to 10 in the summer) at that temperature outside to let them dry constantly. Cheers

Thanks Benedikt - great Trek video! Are you using the Halfords paints too?

16 hours ago, HP42 said:

Looking good Ced. I'm wondering how I'm going to spray mine. It's a bit big for the utility room and nowhere else is warm enough. Might have to find a sunny Saturday morning and warm the can first?

I'm still bogged down with the undercarriage. Loads of work to do but did a bit more tonight and the UC now stands up with its wheels on, hurrah! Looking forward to seeing the decals go on yours. I have this nagging doubt mine will fold up and disintegrate before my eyes.:( Which scheme are you opting for? I'm going to do the most modern retirement scheme, looks best to my eyes but that's a personal choice. I want mine finished before Christmas so I can do something else, can't cope with all this delayed gratification malarkey ;). 

Thinking ahead, how do you seal the decals after using Appliance White or similar?

Thanks Phil. Following your build with interest. I warmed the can before venturing out to the garage and it sprayed fine - a still, sunny day might be your only chance, unless you go for non-smelly acrylic cans? Or brush and micro-mesh (just kidding!)

I've tackled the engines. You all know I'm sure that I love Mr Metal Color Iron and use it for all my engines and exhausts because it blobs on easily and can be burnished in places for a nice effect. You can even sniff it with your friends at SMW. I had planned, suggested by Bill (perdu), to use this and top coat it with grey/black but the first coat proved that this won't be necessary:

31298032536_d86ee9ccc9_n.jpg 30965339360_bf42b2c878_n.jpg

I've burnished bucket mounts a lot, the buckets a little:

31190267652_c539055450_z.jpg

and I now love it even more (although that may just be the fumes).

Started removing the masking very, very carefully.

• Like 11

Hello Ced . No. I don't belive you can get them here in Germany and I'm too lazy and stingy to buy them in the net, when I can find good ones in Münster ( shipping costs etc.). I use various to try. The best ones for my purposes at the moment came from an action market here called Spectrum  Not a great variety, but very fine and thin. They cost 2,01€ a rattle can and are much better than some of the high(er) priced I use(d). Also Duplicolor, Belton for special colours. Tamiya are very fine, but expensive and sometimes needed also for special tones. I avoid now the cans from Aldi/ Lidl. They are cheap but average especially the metal protecting ones. Revell ones sometimes just for special colours, but as Tamiya and more difficult to spray and empty too soon. So when I can use Spectrum ones, I'll take them: http://www.action.de/spectrum-spr-hlack-acryl-400ml-schwarz-metallic

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 2

Thanks Leon.

Thanks Benedikt - looks like you've tried most brands and settled on the best!

Thanks Ian - don't feel bad. This has been 'an epic' and it's not finished quite yet. The kit doesn't help and it takes some discipline - it's certainly the only set of instructions I've seen with a trowel!

Masking off. Hello gorgeous!:

31335922255_6835a3783c_z.jpg

31221017311_dd6c77e881_z.jpg

Pretty happy with that.

Smug of Bath.

• Like 19

31 minutes ago, Beard said:

I think you have every reason to be happy with that, it does look gorgeous.

Indeed, that visor makes the model, I dare say! :clap:  :clap:  :clap: 

Ciao

• Like 2