Concorde 1/72 - Heller, no Airfix, no Revell

CedB

Thanks Benedikt - "kopfkino", cinema in your head, great stuff. Thanks for the videos too - ELO, love 'em :)

Thanks Keith, fingers crossed. I have bits to do before the new tools arrive so I won't be idle!

Thanks Bill. "Conky is looking blimmin big" is right. So much to sand and fill and sand and fill and it's easy for me to get fed up with it, and then...

31103566682_6f066103bd_z.jpg

she does one of her 'how beautiful am I?' poses and all is forgiven. 'High maintenance' but worth it.

• Like 12

Still watching although not contributing much, largely due to the fact that SWMBO has taken over the iPad as she couldn't get upstairs to the main computer with her leg in plaster, and I have been factotum in chief for the last three weeks, and a little busy. She now has a ' walking plaster ' so things should get a little easier from now, roll on Dec 13 when it will be removed completely.

She's looking good. ( the Concorde )

John

• Like 3

13 hours ago, perdu said:

Alex, why don't you do what I do when I want rain, paint the external woodwork on the family home?

You may guess that rain may not be the ideal, or required consequence of painting said residence

Ah...good idea, perdu. Other tricks known to work are watering the garden and/or lawn, hanging out the washing, or washing the car. There is a catch, however: I've found when I do it deliberately to entice the rain, it seems to have the opposite effect.

Painting the house, now - that's something so sufficiently onerous and awful >shudder<, that it's bound to work. Do I really want rain that much? Well, yes! Do I want to start painting the outside of the house? No!

What a dilemma!

Some showers are 'forecast' for tomorrow, but if they do eventuate they won't do more than settle the dust - if that. But it will no doubt rain particularly heavily on us as we do hose drills tomorrow morning. And then stop when we do.

Cheers,

Alex :sheep: <-- not a rain-cloud...

• Like 2

Looking excellent, Ced! Very Concordey in her Concordiness :). I think that I'll treat your build as a vicarious build of mine, and leave it in its box/bags/etc. much safer that way!

After a quick (and I mean quick), I couldn't see rhat there was anything in the instruction to make her snout drop, which is a shame. Unless I skipped that bit and/or misread others.

Are you going to be following said instruction and installing the myriad windows using Contacta, Clearfix or similar window-making goo? My apologies if you've already mentioned it and I missed it.

Cheers,

Alex :sheep: <-- not a Martian sheep (not enough legs, and the wrong colour)

• Like 1

Hi Everybody!

My name is Pete Mortlock,and this is My first post on the Aviationy bit of the Britmodeller Estate!

Cracking build so far Ced,and to give You some heart,it CAN be done......

1-72Concorde085.jpg

1-72Concorde083.jpg

1-72Concorde106.jpg

1-72Concorde101.jpg

Built about 7 years ago from the Airfix boxing,it did throw a few problems up,mainly the upper wing roots,I thought (being a very experienced modeller with HOURS of experience (!)),that the locating tabs on the fuselage that support the upper wing skin were interfering with the fit of said wing skin,so removed them......wrong!

1-72Concorde047a.jpg

1-72Concorde046a.jpg

......But I managed to sort it out with a few minutes (:whistle:) of fettling and 'plastic surgery!

1-72Concorde048a.jpg

1-72Concorde050a.jpg

1-72Concorde053a.jpg

1-72Concorde055a.jpg

But it all came out well in the end (Note the mandatory use of Workmate......)

1-72Concorde062a.jpg

1-72Concorde072a.jpg

All build pics are here if required:-

http://s235.photobucket.com/user/MORTY333_2007/library/Airfix 1 72 Concorde?sort=3&page=1

Best of luck with the rest of Your journey!

Keep Sticking!   Cheers,  Pete

PS....... I did at one stage have a 4" Angle grinder in My hand during the build.............. :yikes:

• Like 12

So, against beeing bored and getting fed up during sanding and filling music is a good medicine. Maybe you like it. It's my favorite one this year and a german one. A little love song to a main street in Germany, but it could be any main street here,where you have grown up or lived. It's very spheric with very good beat and wonderful lyrics. Just the right thing to hear in a car on a nice summer day at early dawn to reflect things. I think it's not too common outside from Germany, but worth it to listen. For me a little gem and by far the best of them:

http://lyricstranslate.com/en/b-96-b-96.html-0

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 2

Hi Bbudde!

Thanks for the recommendation,I tend to have Military Marches on during building sessions,on account of the war-like battles in the workshop (especially with Concorde)!!

I will check Silbermond out!

Keep Sticking!

Cheers,  Pete

• Like 2

7 hours ago, CedB said:

but worth it.

Keerist. I've seen smaller swans....

That really is a colossal piece of work Ced when you see it arrowing over your desk like that. You must be dead chuffed sir, and owe yourself a minituare of in-flight booze for having brought it this far with such aplomb and humour.

Tony

• Like 3

Looking mighty majestic Ced, looking better every time I see it.

You didn't happen to do more than follow Benedikt's link by any chance?

31220620996_607cf7457d_z.jpg31103566682_6f066103bd_z by Sean McAleenan, on Flickr

B)

Having followed the links over the last couple of pages, I'm away to clear my history....

in case the missus thinks she's getting some weird stuff for Christmas.....:blush:

Sean

• Like 3

Thanks Keith, she's coming along.

Thanks John. I hope your lady isn't suffering too much from the leg and that you're not having too much extra to do. Best wishes for a speedy recovery to Mrs.

Thanks Giorgio - I'm starting to feel that the effort will be worth it, especially considering the amount of sanding still to be done (groan).

Thanks Alex - good luck with the painting. I'm going to decide what to do about the windows after the top coat is done, but it'll be Clearfix if anything.

Thanks Benedikt for the link (and the Goethe quote) - sadly it won't load in the UK (for me anyway) but a nice thought, thanks.

Hi Pete and thanks for posting the shots of your Concorde - she looks great. I'm glad I have the later markings as those strips down the side look like a real pain!

7 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Keerist. I've seen smaller swans....

Thanks Tony :rofl: G&T for me!

Hi Sean. No, I didn't do more than follow the link, that's the 'in bits' Sonicare toothbrush (qv), honest! 

Well I shouldn't have tempted fate by praising Amazon's deliveries - the nail file hasn't arrived. I guess the poor driver has been overloaded by Black Friday. The riffler files arrived though and I put some more Micro-mesh on the electric eraser:

31135896821_1f4c2b4061_n.jpg 30449480123_9e58f4ee35_n.jpg

I was hoping to try all the sanding techniques but can't, yet, but I did have a little go with the riffler files and I really like them, thanks Steve and Nigel. The primer really clogs the sanders though so it's all a bit tiresome:

30453190783_8edd88251d_z.jpg

i shall continue tomorrow and hopefully develop an 'isn't sanding therapeutic' mojo. Yeah, as if...

• Like 9

Well, three pages since my last visit!

This is turning into a built that an Amodel enthusiast such as myself can relate to. 

My ludicrous penchant for Amodel and other such filler hungry and sanding intensive brands, has led to changes in my own appearance.

I'm right handed and the incredible amount of rubbing such kits need, can lead one to develop huge muscles on one arm, whilst those on the other dwindle and atrophy. After this summer's Roden and Amodel rubbing extravaganza, I now resemble a fiddler crab :confused: .

Beware Ced, the curse of excessive rubbing.

I can't help but think that a steam powered 'manipulator' could be adapted to do some of the work for you:

http://www.thehistoryblog.com/archives/4755

?

Humbrol filler. Automotive wet and dry paper. Lots of grades. Halfords is your friend. Then micromesh, eventually :thumbsup2: .

In the home run now :) 

ATB

TonyT

• Like 2

Hi Ced!

I was a little concerned about the stripes too,but really wanted to do the Landor scheme,and in fact the stripes went on pretty easily,by running a strip of narrow Tamiya tape along the fuselage as a guide just above the decals position and placing the decal up to the edge of it.

Cheers!      Pete

• Like 2

Thanks Tony :rofl: I'm not sure that steam powered, er, device would be gentle enough!

Thanks Pete - good tip! Initially I thought that getting tape straight would be just as hard but I can see now that at least that can be repositioned.

Nothing much to report apart from clogging of the filing and sanding devices:

30902133200_a391060a0d_z.jpg

Any tips on stopping this? Dipping them in water before use? At the moment I'm having to stop and wire brush every few minutes...

Hello Ced. Sorry with the link. (er the first one also as I'lI suspect you won't open my links therefore anymore) The Silbermond could be seen somewhere, if you search for B 96 (A federal street in the east through Bautzen, where they come from) A very relaxing sound, I think.

For the clogging. My first question: Is it an acryilic or enamel primer?

First. No dry sanding. The primer seems to be sticky,maybe not really dry. If it is acryilic, I would use a bowl with hot or warm water  and some spirit or thinner and a bit dish cleaner in it. Maybe glass cleaner will also do as it's also alcohol mixed. But youhave to try it. For enamel the only way is thinner I think , but it won't react with water.But also here wet sanding is the best. But I can't guarantee it as I normally use sandpaper which will go into the bin if it quits. Cheers

• Like 2

Thanks Benedikt - no need to apologise for the link, we're all adults here - but perhaps an 'R rating' might be a good idea :D

The primer is Halfords' plastic primer so I'll give the water mix a try when I get some mojo back.

• Like 2

+1 to Benedikt's post: BLACK wet and dry used wet with a drop of dishwashing liquid in the water (warmish - but not essential, it will get cold enough in use, more to help the detergent mix). On NO ACCOUNT use the white 'dri-lube' wet-and-dry sandpapers: they contain stearates to allow the paper to glide over the surface, but you will pay for that in having the very devil of a time getting paints of any stripe to stick to the surface. I have mentioned this before but it bears repeating. The stearate-coated papers are a bit like silicon-based lubricants in that respect: all you will ever get will be 'fish-eyeing' and much cursing and swearing - followed by the sanding of your worst nightmares (silicone is even worse to deal with as it seems to contaminate every surface within cooee). Not recommended: been there, done that, still have nightmares about it.

I'd hate to see you beautiful bird ending up looking as though she was covered in a dreadful pox.

Cheers,

Alex.

Edited by AlexN
Updated formatting to make WARNINGS stand out!
  • Like 3

Thanks Alex - wet it is. I may pop out and buy some wet and dry...

Still sanding, on and off. You know when you're dealing with a big model when the best way to hold it is over your shoulder!

• Like 1

Thanks Simon. I've popped out and bought some W&D from Halfords and will give it a go when my mojo's recharged.

This arrived:

31159218731_ba677f46da_n.jpg 31160903581_7b8b43af24_n.jpg

That second photo is just for Sean :D

One safety feature is that you can't turn it on with the cap fitted. :hmmm:

I did make a video of me sanding the fin on the Big Bird but, while editing, decided it was the most boring thing i'd seen for a long time. I did do a slo-mo on the action though so that you can see why this might be better than a ETS:

One problem is that the sanding surface is inside the body so it can't be held flush to the surface to be sanded, but this shouldn't be a problem for most 1/72 jobs:

31239806196_3f0065159e.jpg

• Like 8

16 hours ago, CedB said:

that's the 'in bits' Sonicare toothbrush (qv), honest! 

Of course, silly me :doh:....

Still, I think I'll go with caution with any other links, like TT's ....:hmmm:....where would you put the sandpaper?

I have a set of them files as well, spent more time cleaning them than sanding any model, wet or dry...

Sean

• Like 1

On 25 November 2016 at 9:30 PM, keefr22 said:

Only time they didn't for me was when I paid extra for next morning delivery & it turned up after 5pm....!! (to be fair though they did refund all the postage costs!)

Keith

My airfix beaufighter turned up bang on time, but got left in 'the safe place you told us about'.... There was no safe place I had told them about, it had been put in the recycling bin.... On recycling day...

they must just struggle with my had to be fair, one managed to lob a package containing a BofB memorial flight, catalina and hase p-47 onto my trampoline.... That chap is in the wrong job, trampoline is 12ft from the fence and the net is 12ft tall.... All the more impressive as you can only just see the top of it from the road.... What do you mean he didn't mean for it to have a soft landing and was just throwing it into my garden!! 

Rob

• Like 4