Lightning tanks

markjames68

Were EE Lightning overwing tanks just silver or grey? Does anyone have pics of them with camo on?

Am including them in my build but would prefer camo on them as opposed to just one colour but obviously wont if that makes it wrong...

On 20/10/2016 at 7:48 PM, markjames68 said:

Were EE Lightning overwing tanks just silver or grey? Does anyone have pics of them with camo on?

Am including them in my build but would prefer camo on them as opposed to just one colour but obviously wont if that makes it wrong...

Yes it would make it wrong if you camouflaged them. 

Overwing tanks were one colour overall. Which airframe are you doing? 

It's looking very much like my memory of seeing camouflaged over wing tanks was a dream, I've searched through my photo's and I can't find any! The photo I have in mind is an F.6 over water taken from above but it may just be me miss remembering it. 

RF%20Lightning%20The%20last%204%20remain 

W64_zpsnsi4u9dp.jpg

John

7 hours ago, canberra kid said:

It's looking very much like my memory of seeing camouflaged over wing tanks was a dream, I've searched through my photo's and I can't find any! The photo I have in mind is an F.6 over water taken from above but it may just be me miss remembering it.

I have a copy of that same picture John, which I used for a college lecture on the type of all things!

The tanks are DSG all over, but well faded and weathered

• Like 1

I have found a picture of XS903 in Tim McLellands book on the Lightning on page 147, which shows the aircraft in early 1988 still in Green/Grey camo flying over the North Sea carrying overwing tanks which are Dk Grey in colour.

3 hours ago, Jabba said:

I have found a picture of XS903 in Tim McLellands book on the Lightning on page 147, which shows the aircraft in early 1988 still in Green/Grey camo flying over the North Sea carrying overwing tanks which are Dk Grey in colour.

Think you mean '904.  If you look very carefully at the pic i posted above of XR724 you can just see '904 in the background as you describe it :)

13 minutes ago, nickandrews7 said:

Think you mean '904.  If you look very carefully at the pic i posted above of XR724 you can just see '904 in the background as you describe it :)

The photo description states XS903, but looking at the picture I am sure that I can read XS923. The coding on the tail is BE and it carries the 11 Sqn tail markings but nothing on the nose.

1 hour ago, Jabba said:

The photo description states XS903, but looking at the picture I am sure that I can read XS923. The coding on the tail is BE and it carries the 11 Sqn tail markings but nothing on the nose.

Yes that would make more sense.  '923 was definitely a grey/green camo bird and think she did have the tanks on at that time for a short period.  Similarly pretty sure XR770 had tanks on after 5 folded for an equally short period, but she was definitely all over grey scheme.

Long time ago, memories fade :)

XR770

IMG.jpg

XP693

woodford_NEW2.jpg

XP693

Melissa_0013.jpg

XR773

Melissa_0005%202.jpg

Edited by nickandrews7
serial correction + addded pics