1/600 Airfix HMS Hood

I used an Artwox deck and the White Ensign PE set. The PE set had the fantail mounted catapult as well as the flying off platforms for the turret. None of these were in place when the Hood was configured as presented in the kit. The kit does not depict the base of the funnels correctly, so that was changed. I did not use the PE pom poms as they looked flat and rather whimpy in PE. Instead, Port holes were drilled out and then I cleaned up the kit parts, modified them a bit and then added some of the PE from the WE set. I think they look better. I also added blast bags, metal gun barrels and some rivet detail to the turrets. It's an old kit that takes careful assembly to eliminate myriad mold seams, joints, sink holes and injection pin marks. However, I like 1/600 scale as it is "just right". Not too large and not too small to work with. 

DSCN4408.jpg

DSCN4413.jpg

DSCN4410.jpg

DSCN4418.jpg

DSCN4409.jpg

Edited by gamevender
  • Like 30

I've forgotten how many times I built this kit as a wee lad, but I can certainly remember how badly I used to build it :o !

You've done a lovely job here, the deck looks absolutely fantastic.

:goodjob: 

Best regards

TonyT

• 3 weeks later...

That is a beautiful job on her. I think because of the tragedy that befell her, I never wanted to model Hood, even in my younger days when I built some ships. If I had done so, I'd have wanted it to look just like yours. Just right. :)

Steve.

My compliments, on transferring this (museum) box into such a beautiful finished model.

You must be a very relaxed modeler.

Job well done.

Regards,

Dirk

The Netherlands.

• 1 month later...