Hawker Huricane Mk IIB 1/72 Revell

neat  build,  

one point,  there is a common misconception that RAF planes were delivered to the VVS with RAF markings, but as far as I know, they were overpainted before delivery with RAF paint and red stars applied,  though many profiles show discs  of VVS paint.

there are exceptions, aircraft  handed over by 151 wing for example,

these are Spit Vb's  

Supermarine Spitfire Vb being prepared for delivery to the Soviet Union at Abadan, Iran in 1943.Spitfire_002_IWM%20E23983.jpg

from http://lend-lease.airforce.ru/english/articles/spit/

part of a  sequence,  in Red Stars 4 has the roundels being oversprayed, red stars applied with a stencil, then outlined in black.

If you look carefully you can see the fresh paint.

Other signs of British applied stars are lack of tail star, (but oversprayed fin flash)  and the upper wing stars, often seen on Hurricanes.

the  only pic i know of BG910/46 is pretty grotty,  but I can't see an disc behind the fuselage star

Hurricane-MkIIb-USSR-760IAP-W46-BG910-be

more VVS  Hurricane pics here, 

http://www.asisbiz.com/il2/Hurricane/USSR.html

along with profiles of varying levels of dubiousness.

It's hard  to tell from the model, but the VVS regunning was done a standard, and used the existing holes in the wingspar,  it looks like the inner Mg are lower

http://sovietwarplanes.com/board/index.php?topic=881.0

also of note is the asymmetry of the Mg's

Hurricansovietarmamentlayout.jpg 

note dimensions from centreline, 

I understand  there is a new book on  VVS Hurricane use due in Russia, by the authors who did the Osprey VVS Hurricane aces book.

always a pleasure to see a VVS Hurricane, :goodjob:

cheers

T

Cheers gents!

Tony: yes I did, the windshield is Rob Taurus, while the hood I made on my own.

Troy: thanks for great update, I'm aware od most of it. I sticked to Red Star information, but let's see what the new book will bring us - could be a  good reason to give it another go. As per that russian drawing the inner guns should be located slightly lower, what I did on my kit too.

Libor

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Redboost said:

Cheers gents!

Tony: yes I did, the windshield is Rob Taurus, while the hood I made on my own.

Troy: thanks for great update, I'm aware od most of it. I sticked to Red Star information, but let's see what the new book will bring us - could be a  good reason to give it another go. As per that russian drawing the inner guns should be located slightly lower, what I did on my kit too.

Libor

Hi Libor

Glad some of  the information was of interest.  

well, thank you for making me  look at photos again,  and the positioning of the guns,  looking again it seems that it's the outboard ShVAK cannon are higher than the inboard UBT, which look to come out of  the original location, note the fabric  patches over the unused holes.

17-1.jpg

the image above is also of note as it  retains  the  outer 0.303's and has had the entire prop and spinner repainted!

hawker-hurricane-soviet-union-shvak.jpg

very famous and  oft reproduced image, though it was years and only after it  was pointed out that this plane has a Temperate land  Scheme fuselage and  Day Fighter scheme outer wings, note change  of the underside colour and paint demarcation  outboard the UC leg, where the outer panel joins on.

If only the numbers and serials were visible!

I'm still hoping that a drawing  and/or photo of the actual layout of the VVS gun bay modification comes  to light, I do  have a photo of the Soviet added metal work in a  salvaged VVS  Hurricane.

For casual readers it not often appreciated that the Soviet Union were sent nearly 3000 Hurricanes as Lend Lease,  that's about a fifth of Hurricanes built (over 14,000 in total) as well as 1500 Spitfires!

cheers

Troy

• Like 2

As a casual reader ie. no expert, I enjoyed the pictures of the model, and reading the information supplied by Troy regarding these aircraft. Fascinating subject and what a shame so little information is available. Puts it into context when you think of 3000 a/c and that is one fifth of all Hurricanes built. I hope they liked them.

I would guess that more than a few flew with the standard eight .303's ?