1/144 Zvezda 787-9

Roo

Hi, I know it's a late start, but I am going to be building the Zvesda 787-9.  I have brought some aftermarket decals as I am going to be making it in Virgin Atlantic markings.  I have chosen Virgin atlantic mainly for my son as I am making this for him because we are flying with Virgin Atlantic when we go away.

29756665344_4faf87b973.jpg

the usual sprue shots.

30090167680_d64031fb6e.jpg

29755419323_1b9f088498.jpg

29755417843_b0312742fa.jpg

The box decals.

29756661244_cf56a534d3.jpg

And the aftermarket Virgin Atlantic ones.  I brought these from drawdecal in the USA.  I would have used 26Decal, but they were not in stock when I was after them.

30270742572_746a420670.jpg

30270748252_51a74e3a58.jpg

While I am not going to use it, there are (expensive) conversion details with the decals if you have the 787-8 to stretch it to the 787-9 length. I'll add the photo later if anyone is bothered to know.

I did want to finish this before we went away, but that is not going to happen. So there may well be a gap of a few weeks between posts as I will be abroad  during this GB

Edited by Roo
  • Like 3

On 19/10/2016 at 8:06 PM, Grandboof said:

Will be watching Should look great 

Hopefully, but with my painting skills anything could happen. I liked the look of theHasewaga kit you are making, but it's twice the price of the Zvezda kit in the UK, so a smaller scale does not make sense.

So first things first.  The windows were glued in place.  I tried a solvent free glue to begin with, but they just did not want to stay in place.  So i reverted to normal polystyrene cement.  As the windows would more than likely have the decal windows over them, I am not to worried about fogging and painting over them.  As it happens the clear plastic Zvezda use is flexible and does not fog, unlike the usual stuff from Airfix, Revell et all.

Once the windows were dry the fuselage halves were joined and taped.

30270741322_8ee4a5da2c_z.jpg

29755413473_749b9d309e_z.jpg

While the fuselage was drying, I made a start on the jet engines.  The fans were made as was the thrust exhaust.  The Zvezda plastic is very soft and it was not easy to cut without damage, but I have been as careful as I could.  

The fans were painted in Tamiya gunmetal, with the thrust exhaust painted in humbrol metalcote Steel and polished aluminium. The spirals are painted (badly) in humbrol flat white and flat black.

30366940532_6514a87afe_z.jpg

The fan was attached to the compressor blades and this was the glued into the cowlings. the cowling halves were glued together and the cowling front was put on.   The thrust exhausts are dry fitted in both photos to show what it looks like, They will be glued in place once the wing spars are painted.

30185317650_01ec7ea011_z.jpg

30191425690_1f684a7d12_z.jpg

Just beofore I atarted building this aeroplane, I tested a few ways of achieving the candy red effect that Virgin currently use.  So I tried Tamiya silver, Humbrol silver and humbrol steel along with Tamiya clear red and Humbrol clearcote red.  Tamiya silver reacted badly with the clear red for some reason, maybe I did not let it dry for long enough but I got it working in the end, and the Humbrol clearcote red was too dark. The wing tips are tamiya silver/tamiya red, the tailplane is Humbrol silver/tamiya red and the right tailplane is Humbrol steel/tamiya red.  The Humbrol/humbrol attempts are on the rudder, but they really don't work.  
Ignore the rest of the spitfire painting as it's just to make a 4 yr old happy for 5 minutes,
I have chosen the Humbrol silver/tamiya red combination as I think it looks the nicest, although looking at other virgin atlantic schemes on britmodeller, I may sway the silver for metalcote aluminium.30185322700_3bf3871a29_z.jpg

lastly, for now. the wings were glued in place.  This is going to be built wheels up, partially as it will look nice on it's stand, but mainly to keep it intact for slightly longer after the previously mentioned 4 yr old inevitably gets his grubby mits on it.

30447366156_6a871776fc_z.jpg

Edited by Roo
  • Like 3

Have a look through this build. It was made by Dunter1969 and he has documented his method of achieving the "candy" red colours on Virgin Dreamliners. 

I've got one of these in my "soon to do" pile, so I'll be following your build to see how the red turns out.

Jeff 

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the 2 week gap in posts, I've been on the trip I mentioned in the first post which was to California. It also let me have a better look at the fuselage paint scheme, which is apparently a mica effect very light grey.  Looking at it though, it just looks a slightly different white to the wings, not enough for me to worry too much about, I took a photo of the plane I was on on the way back from san francisco to show the point.(it was taken at 7pm so it is dark outside).

30265071573_97a14e8c09_z.jpg

I have decided that I am not going to be precious about the fuselage colour and I may just spray the whole plane gloss white, as you cannot really see the mica effect anyway.

As luck would have it, my flight out was on G-VNEW - Birthday Girl which is one of the decal options, so that is the plane I am going to be building as.

Obviously as I've been away I do not have any progress to show although I have primed the plane and stand ready for painting.

On 24/10/2016 at 0:37 PM, pinky coffeeboat said:

Have a look through this build. It was made by Dunter1969 and he has documented his method of achieving the "candy" red colours on Virgin Dreamliners. 

I've got one of these in my "soon to do" pile, so I'll be following your build to see how the red turns out.

Jeff 

Hi Jeff (fantastic name by the way :D), I've looked around at various builds to try to get the tail and fuselage right.  It was this plane I got the idea from for the candy red style, but the one pointer I have now realised is that Tamiya do a spray can of the clear red, I was going to brush paint it, but it's not coming out well on the stand, so now I know that I'll pop out and get some. Thanks.

Edited by Roo
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Roo said:

Sorry for the 2 week gap in posts, I've been on the trip I mentioned in the first post which was to California. It also let me have a better look at the fuselage paint scheme, which is apparently a mica effect very light grey.  Looking at it though, it just looks a slightly different white to the wings, not enough for me to worry too much about, I took a photo of the plane I was on on the way back from san francisco to show the point.(it was taken at 7pm so it is dark outside).

I have decided that I am not going to be precious about the fuselage colour and I may just spray the whole plane gloss white, as you cannot really see the mica effect anyway.

This youtube video of G-VNEW shows the difference between the grey fuselage and white wings.