Caudron G.4 Copper State Models 1/48

Xmald

Hello, I`m new to this fine forum. My name is Philip and I`m from Poland and my favourite subject is the Great War aviation in 1/48th scale...

So here I am - holding the brand new Copper State Models` wonderful Caudron G.4, which thanks to the courtesy of the guys from Melius Manu (they cooperate with CSM) I am proud to build as the first modeller. (I like the sound of it wink.gif wink.gif yeah!) Also many thanks to KrzysiekK, who made that happen.
The model I have are the test frets, therefore it may differ in some minor details from the one that will be sold.
I will get the PE soon, and you will surely know it.

The CSM`s Caudron G.4 is absolutely splendid and now I will point out some of my first thoughts concerning the kit:

1. The wings and their specific construction - which is the hallmark of the G.3 and 4 look magnificent! The texture is superb and the trailling edges are very thin.

2. The nacelle`s fit is very good. The details are sharp. The ejection pin marks are located in such way that no modeller`s intervention is required. The only one there is, is found on the pilot`s seat, where it can be easily removed.

2. The kit`s designers did their best to provide us with a well engineered model. No fit problems, no major filling and sanding. The only part that may require some work is the upper wing, which is made of 3 parts due to technological reasons.

3.The details are crisp, there are some that I really enjoy like the generator and the telegraph in the front cockpit - their quality is superb and there are more to come as the PE parts.

4. Le Rhones 9C look decent, but the true believers wink.gif would like to have them casted in resin. Who knows maybe the CSM will release the aftermarket Le Rhones 9C. At the back plates of the engines there are small sink marks - which won`t be visible after you install the engine on the model. Also there is a tiny sink mark on one of the props. They are the only ones I found. You need to remember they are the test shots, so I think the kit will not have these issues.

From what I can after a first look - it`s going to be a great model! I`m going to enjoy my build and keep you updated!
I must say I`m thrilled! Great job Edgar and the CSM team!

photo Caudron test 2_zpsh8hs2iu3.jpg

photo Caudron test 3_zpsnlpfhnan.jpg

There are 2 such frets.
photo Caudron test 4_zpsmce2ocxv.jpg

Just notice the splendid texture of the wings!
Caudron%20test%201_zps5yhqflbs.jpg

I started with the Le Rhohes, apart from slightly thick fins of the cylinders they are very good.
I especially like the sparkplugs. I`ve added the pushrods and the wiring. The pictures don`t show the way I weathered them, it was hard for me to take a good picture showing the weathering using the artificial lighting.

Here are the engines after the first coat of primer:
photo Le Rhone 9C 1_zpsfg2trmex.jpg

photo Le Rhone 9C  2_zpsuomnm8tt.jpg

Finished engines:

photo Le Rhone 9C 3_zpszrfzjvn4.jpg

photo Le Rhone 9C 4_zpsz7bmucok.jpg

photo Le Rhone 9C 5_zpsxm5d7wqx.jpg
  • Like 11

2 hours ago, Xmald said:

So here I am - holding the brand new Copper State Models` wonderful Caudron G.4, which thanks to the courtesy of the guys from Melius Manu (they cooperate with CSM) I am proud to build as the first modeller. (I like the sound of it wink.gif wink.gif yeah!) Also many thanks to KrzysiekK, who made that happen.

I would be proud to be the second or even the third modeler.

Oh please Mr. Copper State Models, give me one.

Regards.

Many thanks for your kind comments my friends! Xan the picture is trully beautiful!
In the meantime I`ve received the test PE sheet. The one you`ll get with the regular model will be slightly different. Now I can focus on the cockpit`s details and the engine nacelles. The PE is rather impressive with all the rigging fixtures! The only thing I think I would add as the PE are the prop bosses.

Caudron%20PE_zpsu3n0sqe5.jpg

I`ve managed to paint the woodgrain - it`s more subtle than usual. The compass is scratch built. You get one with the kit but I think it`s slightly too small. I`ll try to take better pics later. Unfortunately there are no decals for instruments` faces so since I`m pretty bad at painting them I`ve used some leftovers and Airscale`s decals.  You get the instruments` bezels as the PE parts which is very nice IMHO.
The detail I like much is the map holder - I`ve fixed some re-sized printed map.
Using the Green Stuff I`ve tried to model the padded button-leather pilot`s seat

Caudron%20test%205_zps90ifedku.jpg

The fit is outstanding - the first time ever I`ve got the sense of Tamiyagawa quality ;)
The nacelle is fitted just for the pics. In the regular mode the fitl is supposed to be even better since it has been improved.

Caudron%20test%208_zpsjdgh2jry.jpg

Caudron%20test%207_zps6vdoa2nv.jpg

Caudron%20test%209_zpsiqvw29dz.jpg

Edited by Xmald
Bad image links
  • Like 1

I want one of these even more now I see what you are doing with it and if I don't get one soon I shall scream and scream and scream until I am sick!  :puke:

Martian the Impatient

• Like 2

What are the two large rectangular parts in the center? Hoods ?

Louis I think you`re asking about the PE right?

If so, the parts are the aluminium plates which were mounted directly under the engine nacelles - they were meant to protect the wing surface.

Thanks for your kind words they keep me motivated!
I thought things over and my conclusion is that if I`m building a test shot model any modifcations to the kit are slightly pointless since both you as viewers and me - the builder would like to know what can you do OOB. That`s why I got the seat and the pretty nice compass as they were straght from the box.
I couldn` t wait and I`ve painted the tail beams with the surfacer. I really like it that the rubber ropes were reproduced.
Caudron%20test%2011_zpslajdqagr.jpg
I`ve also painted the propellers with a reddish tint, since tha majority of the French props were - to my knowledge - painted this way. Along with the props I`ve glued the nacelles - which as in the case of the fuselage just fell into their places. The only spot where I used the putty was the nacelles front - but it was unnecessary since it will be covered with the PE reproduction of metal panels just the same as in the original Caudrons.
Caudron%20test%2012_zpso1osxhld.jpg

Caudron%20test%2015_zpsa41rcee5.jpg

Caudron%20test%2016_zpsmuer5x7v.jpg
I`ve fixed the engines control levers and added their pull rods (streched sprue). Notice the wireless along with its equipment box - there some nice details there! The manufacterer even remembered about the small folded tables/ arm rests for both the pilot and the observer  (they are still unpainted in my model).

Caudron%20test%2014_zpsse2g5gji.jpg

Caudron%20test%2013_zps9ndvdk3g.jpg
So far I cannot recommend this kit enough. I have pure fun bulding it. I expect that the model you`ll get within a few days will be even better. Forgive my enthusiasm but the CSM has made my dream about the G.4 come true and they`ve done it up to the highest standards!

• Like 4

Very nice but you do know that you are teasing me here? :frantic: Such torture has been banned in the UK for several centuries now.

Martian

You can order Caudron already, directly from CSM website or from the Polish distributor http://www.meliusmanu.pl/

BTW Martian - you were my inspiration when I was building my Gotha G.V model I was following your thread ;)

Here`s my Gotha: http://www.pwm.org.pl/viewtopic.php?f=571&t=75650

Edited by Xmald
Forgot to write something ;)
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello!

This is another update - maybe not a very spectacular one but I`ve managed to prepare the wings for paintwork. The wing structure is superb IMHO.

Hope to show you something more interesting soon!

I`ve also finished the engine nacelles (with the PE they look very well  I think)

Caudron%20test%2021_zpsphjhftvu.jpg

Caudron%20test%2023_zps4xaowuxa.jpg

Caudron%20test%2020_zpsjxlvdfme.jpg

Caudron%20test%2017_zpssgwmf4yk.jpg

• Like 1

I bought this kit 11/1 after stumbling across this nice thread.  It just arrived today and it is FANTASTIC!  The plastic parts are very detailed with no flash. There is a ton of photo-etch bits and the instruction "book" is full color from the CAD files.  I'm debating whether or not to get some aftermarket Le Rhone 80's for it. But everything else is high quality straight out of the box.  This is a daunting subject but Copper State did it proud.

Keep those pictures coming Xmald.  You're doing a fine job!

Edited by Cratecruncher

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys! Crateruncher I couldn`t agree more - the kit IS fantastic ;)

This is my attempt on wing pre shading. I`m still in a deep admiration of the beautiful wing structure of the kit.  Please share your opinions concerning the shading.
I`m slightly in quandry with these metal panels underneath the engine nacelles. I don`t know whether to leave them metal or to paint them the same as the rest of the fittings. What do you think?

Caudron%20test%2027_zpsrut0jaun.jpg

Caudron%20test%2026_zpsbkfpcdhj.jpg

Caudron%20test%2025_zps5qu5kwip.jpg

Caudron%20test%2024_zpsooksxeqt.jpg

• Like 4

I think the panels were unpainted. I picked up the seaplane version of this kit at Telford and can confirm that the sprues look even better in the flesh than they do in the pictures here.

Martian

Hello !

On 21/11/2016 at 10:16 PM, Xmald said:

Thanks guys! Crateruncher I couldn`t agree more - the kit IS fantastic ;)

This is my attempt on wing pre shading. I`m still in a deep admiration of the beautiful wing structure of the kit.  Please share your opinions concerning the shading.
I`m slightly in quandry with these metal panels underneath the engine nacelles. I don`t know whether to leave them metal or to paint them the same as the rest of the fittings. What do you think?

Unpainted...

IMG_zpsdm0rsolh.jpg

• Like 1

13 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Beautiful work so far Philip. I don't work in 1:48 but I have a 1:72 vac of this and may well tag this thread as a reference!

Ian

Hands up those who want to see Limeypilot build his vacform as well?

Martian

:bye: (Thats my hand up). 

Mike, can we have a hands up emotican, please? Just for situations like this:wicked:

Christian, exiled further south

• Like 1

• Thanks for your posts gents. The panels will be left unpainted (painted aluminium) then!

Louis where did you get this unique colour photo of the Caudron?

Do you have any other pics? I`ve read in Windsock that there are some colour pictures but haven`t seen them.

Many thaks for this most valuable reference!