Damn Yankee...or Cold War Gone Hot

06/24

Very nice work, I got a T-72, M1/A1 and Mil-24. Haven't built them yet, but they look okay. I was given them as a gift, I'll get around to it one day. 

I have seen these being played with a few times at Wayland Games. Think I totaled up the cost of a game and it came out at about a grand.  There is also a Vietnam version too.  The arty rules are a bit off, as they have to be on the table when in reality they'd be a few meters away (in scale).

Look forward to seeing more.

Kind Regards,

Dazz

• Like 1

Thanks mate.

Apologies for lack of update, but I had forgotten just how ridiculously long enamel based products take to dry, and all ten have a mixture of Humbrol black and Dust washes applied. I need it to dry before I can assess if any needs taken off, and before I can give each a final flat coat.

• Like 2

I'm quite partial to the slab sides of the Mk1 Chally, but that was only really a Chieftain in a posh frock, or so I've heard.

Still no progress pics, the washes are still tacky (annoying finger marks prove it :angry: ) and they’ve been consigned to the airing cupboard in a box to hopefully dry/harden to a point where they can be worked on again.

The Lynxes have had their black disruptive pattern applied, but I forgot to take any photos.

The infantry platoon and FV432 arrived today. The FV432 is not as well engineered as the MBT, and required “persuasion" to fit together. Even then I think it’s a sort of parallelogram shape.

29933947794_3569f53df8_c.jpgUntitled by jongwinnett, on Flickr

• Like 3

Second time around I knew what to expect. Superglue and gentle pressure sorted the front plate fit, and I used a micro chisel to take a few passes off the lip inside the rear plate, which otherwise prevents the roof fitting properly. This was much more effective than thinning the inside of the roof which was how I tried to solve the problem on number 1.

30530899696_b0201b8682_c.jpgUntitled by jongwinnett, on Flickr

I also remembered to take some photos of the Lynx pair (I have another two to build). It looks from old photos like the AAC used a fairly glossy finish on their AH1 cabs, but I think i'll have to tone these down somewhat.

30530727386_895c2a11b8_c.jpgUntitled by jongwinnett, on Flickr

30450123372_2545921b60_c.jpgUntitled by jongwinnett, on Flickr

30479185721_263d552823_c.jpgUntitled by jongwinnett, on Flickr

• Like 1

Also, a plea for help, please. Does anyone have drawings or photos showing what the load bed etc. on the REME LAD FVs looked like? I know they frequently had the tent up, but what was underneath?

Nice progress Jon. I expect you've seen this but just in case - some nice internals and a video of the real thing at the end:

I want one of those to discourage people from parking across our driveway. Or badly anywhere. Ooo, ooo, or parking on bends, double yellow lines etc etc.

• Like 4

On 20/10/2016 at 10:51 PM, Thud4444 said:

I intended to build a late war British unit (using tons of Cromwells)  but the early war British expeditionary force controversy really soured me on the whole game. There was a lot of bad blood here locally. 

Out of interest, what was the controversy ?

• Like 1

On 11/5/2016 at 2:33 PM, Ascoteer said:

Well you'd certainly die spectacularly quickly!

The Cromwell isn't a Panther, true, but it was a useful little tank in the late war game. It has the exact same stats in the game as a mid war Sherman, just a whole lot faster. I was planning on attaching a few Fireflies to my Cromwell platoon, the nimble Cromwell would zoom ahead and flush out targets for the Fireflies to snipe at. It was a tactic that been used against me in a  cruelly effective manner by the mid war American Hellcat/ Greyhound recon teams. But I was going to have real armor(ish) in my fast attack teams other than the paper thin stuff the yanks used to horde my Soviet masses with.

I could see it clearly, some King Tiger player was finally gonna sweat when my Cromwell pack came charging over the hill like some kind of crazed suicidal lemming colony. His chest would tighten when he realized; if i turn my front to the Cromwells, i give my flank to the Fireflies,  if I stay facing the Fireflies I give my flank to the Cromwells and their AT rating is good enough to penetrate, or if I retreat  away from the Fireflies I'm not fast enough to escape the charging Cromwells. I'm screwed!

I even a had a sound bite of Jeremy Clarkson yelling, "Its a racing chicken!" on my phone for psychological warfare. It was going to be glorious! :blink:

• Like 1

On 11/5/2016 at 1:59 PM, PLC1966 said:

Out of interest, what was the controversy ?

Its kinda complicated, I'll try my best to explain. (if anybody can be clearer than me, or disagrees with me or has more experience with the game please chime in.)

This game started in mid war. Every country had their own little niche and tactics, i'll start with the armies I played the most- the Soviets and the Italians. The Italians where the hardest army in the game to play. Their equipment was awful and you never knew what class of troops you would get until the game started. For example lets say the Germans where a 2, the Brits a 3, and the US a 4, the USSR a 5. The Italians had no set level, you rolled a dice at the beginning of the game and that set your level for that game. One game you would be better than Germans the next you would be worse than Soviets.. They were rarely played because they required a lot of skill and luck...or stupidity. (guess which I had?) The Soviets big niche is that you will never be out numbered and IMHO they have the deadliest equipment. For example, in the final 16 of a regional playoff we had, I faced a British Armored company with my elite Armored Red Guards unit. The Brits in the game are no push overs and he scored a 3:1 kill ratio in the exchange. Unfortunately for him, I out numbered him 4:1 and I forced him into a full retreat. I had reduced my numbers by upgrading my troops from a 5 to a 4, but like I said with Soviets you are never outnumbered. Their big weakness is they are god awful at maneuver warfare, I was lucky I wasn't defending in that game I mentioned, I doubt I could have defeated a mobile enemy. The Americans are the "best toys" army. They get all kinds of gadgets and tricks. And all their stuff is cheap to field. They were the bane of my existence because they excel at mobile warfare. They just never stop moving. Their big weakness is that in order to get all that speed, they have a glass jaw. Hit it hard and they shatter. The Brits in the game have hands down the best infantry of any army. They are exceptionable. Their fighting style is a lot like the Soviets  but with one big exception; they can actually hit what they shoot at. And they are the least likely army to break from fatigue. Their biggest weakness is, outside of the infantry, all the other Brit units are crap. Years of fighting have left the pantry threadbare. They can get American replacements cheap, but while the equipment isn't sub par, its just not a good fit for the British fighting style.Try using Shermans with a Churchill unit and you'll see what I mean real quick. Now none of these army rules are set in stone, you can get a horde of untrained British troops or a tight well trained Russian unit if your willing to pay the points, but your capabilities and numbers will reflect your new skill level. This brings us lastly to the Germans, if you play Germans your almost always going be out numbered. however any of these things I mentioned that each national army excels at, the Germans can do it better..With all kinds of extra bits thrown in. They are the army for gamers who want to win above all else. In my personal experience not every German player was a d-bag, but most d-bags I met in game where German players. This was how mid war game was set up.

Now if any of you guys and gals think that modelers are whiny lot, you have no idea how whiny gamers can be. Imagine every "hey Airfix just revealed this plane in 1/48 and I want it 1/72 or vice versa" arguments multiplied by a factor of 10. After Mid war was so successful they decided to do late war next. The template stayed the same mostly; Russian equipment got worse and the soldiers got better, British equipment got better and the solders got worse, etc etc. Again the game was successful so the designers moved into early war. Here is where the problems came rising to the top, we lost one army (the US) but gained a new one (the French.) But remember what I told you the big British weakness was? Crappy equipment, Here's the thing, they didn't have that problem in early war. As a mater of fact out side of the few Panzer units, they were far better equipped than their German counterparts. So while everybody else stayed mostly the same, the British lost their main weakness. German players all over the world started to revolt. Locally in another playoff,  i soundly beat one of the local Germans with my Souma French unit  and no Germans made it into the top 8. I was defeated in the next round by a Brit unit, i mostly defeated myself by spreading my infantry too thin and rolling my tanks too far out of the battle line, but you know the British player cheated with an "unbeatable" list. A lot German players started boycotting internationally. It all seemed a little childish to me, but the company balked and nerfed the Brits to bring them more "inline with history." Soon there was complaints about how unrealistically tough French tanks where and how the Russians have way too much advanced equipment. i left the game not in a fit of anger, but more out of disappointment.It seemed that a few players where more interested in being unbeatable than allowing every body to have fun and push little models across the table. A few months later the local group imploded. it dropped from about 30 to 40 members down to maybe 10 to half a dozen.  It still saddens me to this day. Still we had a lot of fun.

Edited by Thud4444
  • Like 3

That's the most concise review of the FOW world I've ever seen. Well done, I'm not bitter that no German player in my club will take on my French, honest. Still have a lot of fun with late war and mid war though and enjoying Barbarossa immensely. 

• Like 1