Damn Yankee...or Cold War Gone Hot

06/24

This doesn’t really fit in either Armour or Planes, since it’s a bit of both, plus its sort of toys and games.

Anyway, but some accident, last week I came across the Battlefront miniatures game, Team Yankee

Now I’ve never really played wargames, apart form the ubiquitous airfix figures with my brother 35 years ago.

But what caught my eye with this was two things, first, I really liked the source book, which I read way back in the late 80s when it first came out. Second, Battlefront had just launched British equipment. Now 1980s British gear is something I’ve always liked – as a kid I used to watch convoys of equipment heading down the A30 past my house on their way to Salisbury Plain, whilst choppers from Odiham were constant companions.

The game is currently too complicated for me to understand, but the 1/100 scale miniatures it’s played with are right up my street. Perfect for the time poor modeller, they go together quickly and without fuss, and offer a decent, if basic, representation of their subject.

Box sets can be had as a sort of starter back, and so two of these have found their way chez 06/24.

• Like 2

Each starter box “Charlie’s Chieftains” contains five tanks and two Lynx helicopters.

Both have options – the Chieftains can be built with or without Stillbrew armour, whilst the Lynx can be either a utility or TOW armed.

Assembly is straightforward:

29771592394_6dc28e6cbd_c.jpg15mm by jongwinnett, on Flickr

29771598684_b8b79b4c01_c.jpg15mm by jongwinnett, on Flickr

30316634111_1dd3f528eb_c.jpgLynx AH1 by jongwinnett, on Flickr

30105512000_676cfbfe9d_c.jpgLynx AH1 by jongwinnett, on Flickr

And features some clever touches, like these tiny magnets to hold the rotors on (stops them breaking if knocked accidentally I presume):

30402754765_379146a4a2_c.jpgLynx AH1 by jongwinnett, on Flickr

• Like 2

A day of construction and spraying brought us to this:

30373688656_91fdb7dfd0_c.jpgChieftain by jongwinnett, on Flickr

I probably spent longer cleaning up mould seams and filling than a true war gamer would, but old habits die hard.

30409859465_f904cae657_c.jpgChieftain by jongwinnett, on Flickr

29781161044_c32c075b49_c.jpgChieftain by jongwinnett, on Flickr

I couldn’t resist a bit of tinkering, so some got stowed camo nets, whilst others got scrim wrapped around the barrel, a feature I’d seen in photos of BAOR tanks on exercise in the late eighties:

29779316534_892f4c96a2_c.jpgChieftain by jongwinnett, on Flickr

30375579786_2589b04dc2_c.jpgChieftain by jongwinnett, on Flickr

• Like 10

I've never played Yankee, but I've played Flames of War a lot. I watched a demo a few months ago and they seem to play very similar.  Fast moving and very entertaining. Just the equipment is much more lethal in the 80s than it was in the 40s, so units drop fast. The game runner said just like FoW, each national army has its own distinctive "personality. "  Its a great game to start wargaming if you ever wanted to find a group to try it. 

Your tanks look great,  but most hard core wargammers can give any scale modelers a run for their money in details. So yours will look right at home with all those extra details. You gonna weather them up? Or leave them factory fresh? 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Murdo said:

Looks great.  And it's 1/100 scale?

Yes, at least I think so. Sold as 15mm but like most sizes that seems arbitrary, the figures are what is termed "heroic" which seems to be code for cartoonish. Makes painting them easier I hope!

4 hours ago, Thud4444 said:

I've never played Yankee, but I've played Flames of War a lot. I watched a demo a few months ago and they seem to play very similar.  Fast moving and very entertaining. Just the equipment is much more lethal in the 80s than it was in the 40s, so units drop fast. The game runner said just like FoW, each national army has its own distinctive "personality. "  Its a great game to start wargaming if you ever wanted to find a group to try it. 

Your tanks look great,  but most hard core wargammers can give any scale modelers a run for their money in details. So yours will look right at home with all those extra details. You gonna weather them up? Or leave them factory fresh? 

Weathering has started, but I tend to overdo it so stepped away to give some perspective. No slight on war game modellers and painters intended - they have a skill set and style which I will find hard to live up to. I need to find a black or grey nylon brush to make flexible aerials.

21 minutes ago, SeanM said:

It was a great book alright. One of my favourite authors Harold Coyle

I have a set of the US armour on order. Forest green overall, no imaginary MERDC for mine though...

1 hour ago, Vince1159 said:

Nice job 06/24,they look brilliant...

Thank you

1 hour ago, CedB said:

Er, supportive 'likes' mate and nice results, but what's going on... are you introducing Kieran to war gaming?  

Maybe Ced, maybe... Or maybe i just fancied something simple and fun to do, rather than the complex stuff I normally set myself. Sort of anti-AMS therapy... Plus who could resist a game which includes this: Wolfgang

• Like 4

Been playing FOW for 11 year( must be getting tired;)) and have built 6 different armies. I find the modelling very relaxing and it gives me chance to do some mini dioramas and lots of weathering. It is a different application but uses the same base skill set and gives a bit more freedom to express myself.

It is a game not an ultra realistic simulation so there are lots of compromises. I've resisted Team Yankee as it is a bit 'bang your dead' but the toys are really nice and I've always fancied doing BAOR. 

Enjoy

• Like 3

At the risk of boring you all to death, I spent lunchtime at my desk putting a couple of Chieftains together, so I’ve done a wee step by step. If nothing else this shows how simple and relaxing these are to build:

Sprue as it comes

30390449216_f857f32606_c.jpgBattlefront Miniatures Chieftain by jongwinnett, on Flickr

Main parts cut out and clean up underway – only the attachment points need cleaned, plus a mould seam on the gun barrel

30426545065_bb5b327c2f_c.jpgBattlefront Miniatures Chieftain by jongwinnett, on Flickr

Hull top and bottom cemented

30426546405_6d6e1e9506_c.jpgBattlefront Miniatures Chieftain by jongwinnett, on Flickr

Rear plate added

30426544895_e685766f31_c.jpgBattlefront Miniatures Chieftain by jongwinnett, on Flickr

Skirts

30390448016_ae778d80a4_c.jpgBattlefront Miniatures Chieftain by jongwinnett, on Flickr

Tracks could be next, but I’m leaving mine separate to ease painting

30390448566_93cbcc3506_c.jpgBattlefront Miniatures Chieftain by jongwinnett, on Flickr

Turret top and bottom cemented

30426544305_33dc3e6278_c.jpgBattlefront Miniatures Chieftain by jongwinnett, on Flickr

Rear plate

29794920343_c7284f10d9_c.jpgBattlefront Miniatures Chieftain by jongwinnett, on Flickr

Then it’s a case of working your way round adding the turret details

30390450446_c476918440_c.jpgBattlefront Miniatures Chieftain by jongwinnett, on Flickr

30340145021_c951274e2e_c.jpgBattlefront Miniatures Chieftain by jongwinnett, on Flickr

Drill out gun barrel (I use 0.5 then 1mm drills, but you could, just, get away with 1.2mm to be in scale) – excuse grubby fingers

30340144531_f12f061e46_c.jpgBattlefront Miniatures Chieftain by jongwinnett, on Flickr

Fit barrel and we’re done. There is a pin to locate the turret, but I left it off as I’ve ordered some magnets to use instead.

30426545045_a8cdee8679_c.jpgBattlefront Miniatures Chieftain by jongwinnett, on Flickr

Beauty shot – 20 minutes work including taking the photos.

30340146111_51283ac712_c.jpgBattlefront Miniatures Chieftain by jongwinnett, on Flickr

• Like 6

Nice models, they look very nicely detailed for whatever tiny scale they are in (15mm?).  I've seen Flames of War models on my ventures round the internet, always thought they look pretty good.  It all looks rather reasonably priced compared to products by a certain other tabletop war game company.

BTW war gamers deal with seams and mould lines just the same as any other modeller...

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Raven Morpheus said:

BTW war gamers deal with seams and mould lines just the same as any other modeller...

Fair cop, although i was mainly referring to the lynx, which had fuselage seams which i might have been better able to ignore if i was slightly less obsessed. YMMV...

So, after building 7 straight Chieftains, I began to wonder what else I could do.

First up I tried opening the drivers hatch, and that seemed to work:

30348644341_bb667f99c0_c.jpgTeam Yankee game Chieftain modded by jongwinnett, on Flickr

30348644281_68a627c8ce_c.jpgTeam Yankee game Chieftain modded by jongwinnett, on Flickr

29803131003_0a038a8a28_c.jpgTeam Yankee game Chieftain modded by jongwinnett, on Flickr

The oversized nature of the figures is evident, but it’s not bad

• Like 3

Next I wanted to scratchbuild a dozer tank – reading the web, it seems the dozer blades were pretty useless, and it also seems to have commonly been one of the troop HQ tanks that was so fitted – the 2IC in several accounts I found:

30318369072_a072a34b44_c.jpgTeam Yankee game Chieftain modded by jongwinnett, on Flickr

29803131143_b5c8261bdd_c.jpgTeam Yankee game Chieftain modded by jongwinnett, on Flickr

Very impressionistic, but it gives some variety

• Like 5

Finally, on the last of the ten tanks, I removed one of the bazooka plates. Now this is fiction, I haven’t found a photo of a real Chieftain in this condition, although they did sometimes operate with all the plates removed (one for another batch maybe).

30318369062_d1cb5266ff_c.jpgTeam Yankee game Chieftain modded by jongwinnett, on Flickr

30137820560_68a627c8ce_c.jpgTeam Yankee game Chieftain modded by jongwinnett, on Flickr

30137820350_1a14924446_c.jpgTeam Yankee game Chieftains modded by jongwinnett, on Flickr

They need the paint to blend everything together, but a bit of fun for an evening.

• Like 5

On 10/19/2016 at 3:21 AM, 06/24 said:

the figures are what is termed "heroic" which seems to be code for cartoonish.

Got it in one, toots!

I love wargaming, but as I have few friends, I rarely get a chance to. Cold War wargaming, well...

09e.gif

• Like 2

No offense taken Mr.24.  I'm just glad you posted the step by step assembly,  I honestly thought these where resin like all of Battlefront's early  FoW line.  Now that I can see they are making "proper" tank kits, I'm gonna pick some up.

Just a shout out to other FoW players, I played Soviet and Italian mid war, and French early war.

Most of my Soviet lists where built around the excellent KV 85 Guards units. My French lists where built around the S35 with as much artillery as I could afford.  When I was really wanting a challenge,  I used my Italians built around a Semovente 75/18 platoon.  I intended to build a late war British unit (using tons of Cromwells)  but the early war British expeditionary force controversy really soured me on the whole game. There was a lot of bad blood here locally. 

• Like 3