Jump to content

As a result of the close-down of the UK by the British Government last night, we have made all the Buy/Sell areas read-only until we open back up again, so please have a look at the announcement linked here.

This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Triplecharlie

Revell 1/144 Qantas Boeing 737-838 VH-VYL "Wangaratta"

Recommended Posts

Good evening,

 

After around 70 odd hours of work, I've finally completed my first built in over a decade.

 

It was certainly a testing model kit, and despite some gross errors, this built has taught me so much about patience, taking time to ensure the intricacies and details are done as best as possible.

 

I hope you enjoy the photos. I would sincerely like to thank TrojanThunder for the overwing decals. The default Revell ones were flimsy to say the least for this rookie. The Qantas 90's Livery was by DrawDecals and the details were off the default Revell decal sheet.

 

Feel free to let me know what you guys think and I look forward to my next built.

IMG_7235.jpg
Yup, it does resemble and Boeing 737! Whew!

IMG_7221.jpg
I went with the default winglets and engines. One of the more testing parts was reprofiling the winglets to reflect the correct chord and height, followed by assembly, and hand painting the winglet, gold stripe and leading edge. 

IMG_7244.jpg
TrojanThunder, the decals arrived in time! Thank you so very much!

IMG_7230.jpg

IMG_7204.jpg

IMG_7237.jpg
Another challenging part, getting these individual decals in the tailplane.

IMG_7208.jpg

 

Thank you and kind regards,

Charlie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Beautiful build, what color have you used for the wings ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well done! Nice clean crisp build and beautiful finish. Good to see you've corrected the winglets.

What's next Charlie, another airliner I hope?

Cheers,

Ian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BerndM said:

Beautiful build, what color have you used for the wings ?

 

Good morning BerndM,

 

I don't have an airbrush, and after sampling a few different spray cans, I settled on Tamiya's AS-16 Light Gray. It seems to be the closest one I can find. I'll be investing in an airbrush for my next project.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Turbofan said:

Well done! Nice clean crisp build and beautiful finish. Good to see you've corrected the winglets.

What's next Charlie, another airliner I hope?

Cheers,

Ian

Hey Ian!

 

Thank you for your wonderful feedback.

 

Well, I am going to start on VH-VXM "Mount Hotham" in the same livery but this time attempt weathering.

 

I just need to source another Revell Boeing 737-800 kit! :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cool!

You won't need much weathering as Qantas generally keep their aircraft pretty clean don't they? Just highlight the flaps and slats and add a few streaks on the flaps. I also add a little dirt at the bottom of the rudder hinge and streak it down the fuselage a little there as that is often a bit dirty.

Hope you've got plenty of cash Revell 737-800's are going for silly money these days!! 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Revell-1-144-Scale-Boeing-737-800-Air-Berlin-/162240605474?hash=item25c64b2d22:g:wXoAAOSwYIxYAmo4 

Then again there are always the Authentic Airliners 737s.

Looking forward to your next 737!

Cheers,

Ian

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice work Charlie, the Tamiya grey looks a pretty good match to the Xtracolor Boeing grey I am using on my B737, :thumbsup:

 

As for another B737 kit, are you aware of HobbyHQ up in the northern suburbs, 5/29 Macquarie Drive. Thomastown? Last time I was there in July he had a few B737 kits in stock.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Triplecharlie said:

 

Good morning BerndM,

 

I don't have an airbrush, and after sampling a few different spray cans, I settled on Tamiya's AS-16 Light Gray. It seems to be the closest one I can find. I'll be investing in an airbrush for my next project.

Thanks for the color advice, your (brush) painting is fantastic  by the way. For mine i have used Revell 371, its a bit lighter and have not so much green in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Turbofan said:

Cool!

You won't need much weathering as Qantas generally keep their aircraft pretty clean don't they? Just highlight the flaps and slats and add a few streaks on the flaps. I also add a little dirt at the bottom of the rudder hinge and streak it down the fuselage a little there as that is often a bit dirty.

Hope you've got plenty of cash Revell 737-800's are going for silly money these days!! 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Revell-1-144-Scale-Boeing-737-800-Air-Berlin-/162240605474?hash=item25c64b2d22:g:wXoAAOSwYIxYAmo4 

Then again there are always the Authentic Airliners 737s.

Looking forward to your next 737!

Cheers,

Ian

 

Hey Ian! Well, the VY-series and VXM are covered in soot, and dust, and the paint job has faded to a lovely patina and I wouldn't have them any other way. In fact, those are the rego's i spot and chase every week!

 

Yes!!! I struggled looking for the kits, and also a handsome amount for the two I got and I reckon it'd be difficult to source two more at reasonable prices. I've been looking at the Authentic Airliners kit but the 738 is always sold out. Hmmmm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, TrojanThunder said:

Nice work Charlie, the Tamiya grey looks a pretty good match to the Xtracolor Boeing grey I am using on my B737, :thumbsup:

 

As for another B737 kit, are you aware of HobbyHQ up in the northern suburbs, 5/29 Macquarie Drive. Thomastown? Last time I was there in July he had a few B737 kits in stock.

Thank you! Oh I've never heard of them before. I might give them a call soon and see what he has in stock. Thank you for the recommendation!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great build there Charlie. Very tidy. Thanks for sharing.

I was going to quote from Austen Tayshus's Australiana...but then thought better not. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That turned out well Charlie! It's a gorgeous scheme

 

Cheers

 

john

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Viking said:

That turned out well Charlie! It's a gorgeous scheme

 

Cheers

 

john

Thank you for all your advise.

 

It is my favourite livery variant.

 

I've just noticed I havent painted the red antenna stripes! Time to get them done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Beautiful 737.

The Qantas livery is a fine choice too.Top build

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Charlie, I didn't know there are any dirty Qantas planes all I see look pretty clean! All adds interest for us modellers though!

It's worth waiting and getting an AA kit if you can you won't be disappointed.

 

Cheers,

 

Ian 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/23/2016 at 6:06 AM, Turbofan said:

Charlie, I didn't know there are any dirty Qantas planes all I see look pretty clean! All adds interest for us modellers though!

It's worth waiting and getting an AA kit if you can you won't be disappointed.

 

Cheers,

 

Ian 

Hey Ian!

 

Here's a photo of VH-VYH "Queanbeyan" in Brisbane not too long ago. Granted, she is probably the most in need of TLC.

IMG_4054.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Flew home on VH-VYF 'Evandale' from Adelaide last night and she is in the same state. Still has the old cabin config as well, so no seat back screens :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...