As a result of the close-down of the UK by the British Government last night, we have made all the Buy/Sell areas read-only until we open back up again, so please have a look at the announcement linked here.

This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Mike

Minor Version Upgrade Imminent

We've just received notification that there's a new update available for the forum to iron out some bugs, add a few new features, and improve speed in places, so we'll be applying this in the next couple of days.  If you get a message telling you we're doing some essential maintenance, that'll be what it is.  It shouldn't take more than a few minutes to carry out, but I want to check something before we go ahead, as our board is a big'un, and they demand a little more care when upgrading than smaller boards.

Once we've got the answers we need, we'll be pushing forward to see whether some of our pet peeves have been addressed yet :)

How imminent? 

Immediately, if not sooner?

:D

Good Luck guys 👍🏿

yesterday... it's that imminent! :unsure:

The next couple of days.  Last time I did one of those, only 2 people noticed, but as it was just after the DDoS hacking, they both PMd me to mention it :)

:lol: best way ;)  

Bump for visibility :)

bump for invisibility  ;)

I tries hard not to whinge but its a scary place this interweb

Good luck with it, when it happens

promise to hardly notice

It oughta be a non-issue, but it's better to know, just in case ;)

The upgrade is done - did you notice? :wicked:

The forums are reindexing themselves again, so you might experience some minor weirdness in searches until they're done.  I've also spotted another page of new members this morning, so I'll get those guys let in next :)

Yep. Got this big red bar that tells me the site uses cookies. Chocolate chip?

I wonder if it will fix this intermittent problem that I've had?

backwards

I didn't mention it because I figured that you had enough to deal with.

3 minutes ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Yep. Got this big red bar that tells me the site uses cookies. Chocolate chip?

Hash.

:D

:pot:

Got this big red bar that tells me the site uses cookies. Chocolate chip?

As this is Britmodeller shouldn't be using Biscuits rather than the American 'Cookie'?

The cookie message flag must have been reset with the new version, so just do the usual and it'll go away until next time :)

22 minutes ago, Aeronut said:

As this is Britmodeller shouldn't be using Biscuits rather than the American 'Cookie'?

it's actually a small text file held in your Cookies folder, and as most of the original browsers were built by Americans, we're stuck with it.  :shrug:  I know you were only kidding, but I thought I'd take you literally anyway :)

Same to you with nobs on! <_<

I'm working with support on a couple of minor issues, and the reindexing of the forum posts is still ongoing at 61.41% at time of writing, so please bear with us, and report any issues in this thread if you'd be so kind please :)

That backwards text above was actually a real issue that I had Mike. It seems to have fixed itself though.

That's just plain WEIRD Rob... Are you sure you've not been afflicted by some prank malware, or summit? :S

The reindex has completed now, so everything should be back to somewhere near nermal. Nermal.gif

Here is my bug report, originally written and posted (- fter much trial and tribulation - last night. Sadly, exactly the same problems persist, viz.:

"

Something really weird going on with BM this evening : I got a string of pages repoting that the website was 'down for maintenance' - suddenly; then when pressing 'likes' buttons the page would suddenly start reloading and end up with an error message to report the condition (and a button to do so with, but which I didn't press, already being highly suspicious); reloading the page would fix that, but the 'like' hadn't registered; pressing the 'like' button again would generally work but not always (and I have run out of them again in any case); the final piece of weirdness was editing a post on this thread, and on saving it, the entire text of the post vanished, but reappeared on reloading thee page - minus my additions. Somewhat similar in effect to. the 'likes'button weirdness, but without the error popup.

The final final oddity was the 'save' button in the text editor not working as it says on the label, resulting in having to copy the post, back it up in Notes, then shut down and restart Safari. I wonder if it worked? No. Did restarting the ipad fix it? YES! So not the forum's fault, I suspect.

"

NO, apparently not.

Using Safari on iOS10 >shudder<, run ing on a creaking iPad Version 2. Forum, even v. 4, worked fine until I updated to iOS 10, so sorting out what is forum-induced and iOS/Safari-induced has been both problematic and confusing.

Aplogies for the longish post.

Note that I had to quit and restart Safari twice then cold-restart the iPad to be able to post this diatribe.

Cheers,

Alex :sheep:

8 hours ago, Mike said:

That's just plain WEIRD Rob... Are you sure you've not been afflicted by some prank malware, or summit? :S

The reindex has completed now, so everything should be back to somewhere near nermal. Nermal.gif

Positive Mike. BM is the only place it happened, it only happened a few times, and it's gone now. Apparently.

Hello Mike,

Forum Software Update Bug Report Nr. 2:

Using the forum on the iMac (OS X El Capitan, version 10.11.6 (15G1004)) has generally proved to be A Great ImprovementTM over the risible and lamentable performance on the ipad, BUT emoticons now don't work unless there is NO text formatting applied (works if the Tx button is selected). :wall:

>rant<

Sorry about the bad tidings - I do suspect Apple's sadly-abandoned WebKit to be largely at fault in both cases. It came as no surprise whatsoever to read in AppleInsider the other day that a French company is sueing Apple - for not updating html 5 support in WebKit. The have gone form from being the pack leaders in this regard to a very - and I mean very distant last um, not quite - Internet Explorer is even further behind safari on iOS. About jolly time someone did, it's a total disgrace. It's not as though Apple can't afford the programmers...

>/rant<

I dare say that I could attempt to install Linux on my iMac as a dual-boot affair (I refuse to use the Google Chrome spyware - that's the (web) browser with the most up-to-date with html 5 support)...

Cheers,

Dr :sheep:

Given what I usually write, it may surprise you that I do in fact really have a doctorate...

Forum Software Update Bug Report Nr. 3:

Sadly, Safari on the iMac has started showing exactly the same problems as experience of the v.2 iPad, as reported above. It's a bit too early to say about Opera, which I perforce had to use to put up another post elsewhere on BM. I don't know if Opera on OS X - and Mac OS - uses WebKit, although I suspect that it uses st least some of its API.

Hey-up up, the same problem is on Opera, too. Aaargh! Restarting Opera merely resulted in the 'save' button being interminably busy, but nothing else happening. Reloading the thread resulted in the loss of the post. A restarted Safari...resulted in the button going busy then not, and no post update. This more-or-less confirms that it's WebKit, and suggests a really nasty interaction 'twixt the forum software (update) and Apple Inc.'s WebKit. I will see if rebooting the Mac works (it should). Luckily I don't have much else open on this machine at the moment, otherwise I would be really cross. This means that I will only be able to use Apple gear to read-only the forum - I can't reboot the machine everytime that I want to make a post. This is truly RIDICULOUS.

And it's not your fault, Mike & Co.

Cheers(?), 

Alex :sheep:

PS: with the machine restarted (warm boot), the post via paste worked OK - until the accursèd WebKit chokes'n'croaks again. And no, I am not going to install Mac OS 'Sierra' in the most-likely-deluded hope that it will fix this. I have enough troubles with computers as it is, and this iMac is so old that it probably won't be able to even have the next version of Mac OS installed on it. I updated the ipad to iOS 10 - against my better judgement - in the hope that it would fix some vagaries with the then-new version 4 upgrade of theBM software, only to wish bitterly that I had left well alone, as the result was even worse (I lost my spell-checker). This farago has resulted in turning a really good day - and plans to move my Plastic Modelling Environment into a more commodious space so that I can actually do some modelling work, entirely on its head. And now I have a rehearsal to travel 60 km to, so that's the end of today.:badmood: 

Sounds like you have a fair few Apple-related issues going on Alex.  I'm afraid I'm not up to speed with Apple's Webkit, but I'm guessing it's their browser API, and I'm also guessing that it's taken a turn for the worse lately.  That's not a good sign from a company with such a large share of the mobile device market, and a growing share of the desktop and laptop market on the basis that it "just works". :S

Have you considered giving Firefox a go?  I don't know if there's still a current version out there for the iOS and MacOS, but I remember there was one on the venerable iPhone 3GS when I had one :)

Hello Mike, it's by-our-lady frightening, is what it is. All of the browsers that I have investigated so far on both iOS and OS X are based on WebKit. I have Firfox installed and just added 'Tab Mix Plus' to it, so I will give it a go on OS X at any rate (on iOS it has to use WebKit so I am not going to waste my time checking). Still, if enough people get annoyed, Apple might do something about it. Hopefully pressure from the French (including the publicity) might result in some action on Apple's part. Myself, I really don't understand it - their current policy make no sense at all - other than bad business practice.

Having said all of the above, I have been making posts using the ipad without batting an eyelid this evening. Post are saving, and I am able to save post re-edits, all without having to restart the browser or the device. It looks though things have settled down - and the forum itself seems snappier to use. However those things have happened, it's a result!

Cheers,

Alex :sheep:

The forum was reindexing and rebuilding itself most of yesterday after I applied the update, so perhaps that was at least partly responsible.  We'll keep on top of ongoing issues however, and try to hash them out between us and invision :)

Hi Mike,

I have been having some problems since yesterday or thereabouts.

1. Saving - pressing the button it just stalls but, if I open another window, the post has actually gone in.

2. Saving - At other times pressing the 'Submit Reply' button it greys out to 'Saving....' for a second and then returns to 'Submit Reply' Very similar to the behaviour I was getting when BM was under attack.

Both behaviour were remedied by opening another Window with BM in it.