This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

arni

Creating accident damage for vehicles using tin foil.

First of all I will explain what materials I have used,the tin foil is mostly a by product of weekly shopping and can be rip top foil from a container of butter,cheese or whatever has a sealed foil top.I have also used the thicker foil from a oven ready meal,just remove the contents and cook them in something else and you have a nice thick bit of foil.

Edited by arni

Excellent tutorial there Arni,

That's something I'd like to try in the future,

Cheers,

Andrew

Fiendishly clever, that man!

Take two gold stars.

And a par boiled hamster.

I am so pleased that there are people, modellers, out there who are prepare to think outside the box. Well done Arni.

I was thinking along the lines of showing damage to aircraft, drill holes through wings fuselage etc but then pushing tin foil in to replicate the aircraft skin . . .

thanks for the demo, I shall bookmark this.

Ian

I thought of this idea once, but regular aluminum foil seems to thin,never thought of the porridge stuff, much more rigid. I get this same foil from some yogurt containers. It must take some figuring to figure out how to glue the body to the chassis and still be able to lift the car off the table. A belly landed airplane or Nascar would be  good for this.

Great tutorial. Have you tried this with a heavily decalled car, say a race car? I'm wondering if the decals would conform to the damage or have to be cut and applied post damage?

That's a great idea.

On 11/23/2016 at 1:09 PM, mbdesignart said:

Great tutorial. Have you tried this with a heavily decalled car, say a race car? I'm wondering if the decals would conform to the damage or have to be cut and applied post damage?

Not at all sure on decals to be honest,best thing is to pint and try it on some allloy/foil.

Wanted to do something like this to a 1/35 Kubelwagen or VW 82, now I know how to go about it.....Nigel, you are a star (& a very talented one at that).  :coolio:

Very interesting - thanks for sharing :thanks:

6 hours ago, tennentssuppa said:

Am I a bit thick?

I can't see any pictures of examples.

It's the thick thing isn't it.

It looks like the original post was edited last March to remove the useful bits, which seems like an odd thing to do.

But on the plus side, it may not be the 'thick' thing after all.

On 17/02/2018 at 7:45 AM, Gorby said:

It looks like the original post was edited last March to remove the useful bits, which seems like an odd thing to do.

But on the plus side, it may not be the 'thick' thing after all.

I think it was the usual problem with Photobucket....

Any chance of reposting the original tutorial as I've always fancied building a rally car that has "been down the road" at some point

Hopeful

Ian 😀

Thought I may be missing something when I read the first post

I'd like to see it repeated too

PS; I should have mentioned I'm a newbie to the website, so sorry for not introducing myself

Edited by SteveG8
Added introduction

And here I was thinking I was going a bit nuts as I couldn't see anything either!

Such a shame the post wasn't just left alone as photobucket posts appear to be working again.

In the actual scale magazine issue - 250 April 2019 - is a"how to" article showing how to use tin foil for body damages

Cheers

Marco F