HUMA 1/72 Junkers Ju 288 C

Hi all,

decided to start my first WIP thread so please be gentle. I chose a less common topic, as I thought it might foster some interesting discussion. So after showing which kit it is about (omitting the usual sprue shots - you can find them online easily) and and impression of my messy workspace you can look at how far I got by now.

dsc04087.jpg

Interior, gun turrets and main gear assembly in the current state.

dsc04088.jpg

I added some interior detail in the rear whe

dsc04089.jpg

Some conjured up detail for the blank bulkhead at the cockpit. I had only few drawings and little pictures of that area.

dsc04091.jpg

Thcrew of my Bv 141 took their seats - we'll only fly with pilot and rear gunner for a quick test of the gun turrets ;). Ju 288 had actually a crew of four in the "Kampfkopf".

dsc04093.jpg

Some little tip: the gun turrets don't need glue. You may just slide them in place in the fuselage halves. This reduces the danger of getting them stuck with glue.

dsc04095.jpg

That's all for tonight. I hope I can get you some more of it tomorrow!

• Like 6

As promised a little update. Not much could be done. But I still have a little interesting problem area for you. After glueing the main gear assembly into the lower wing I noticed it is not possible to glue the gear doors on closed (as they should be when the plane is parked (judging form photographs).

So that leaves you with this:

dsc04100.jpg

I am forced to cut the rear strut and bend the lower part towards the main leg. Otherwise the doors wont close. Compare:

dsc04098.jpg

The procedure as shown then can give you this result:

dsc04105.jpg

Now, for someone to build this kit this is something to bear in mind, to prepare the strut parts already and solve it a bit more elegantly than I had to. Or you follow HUMA and glue all the doors in an opened position, which should be fine for a maintenance situation.

• Like 4

I've been finally successful in repairing my broken compressor! So i've been able to shoot some paint on my ongoing projects. As for the Ju 288 not much is new other than I've completed the cockpit with crew and the fuselage halves could be glued together now.

dsc04106.jpg

I think it will look decent enough once the canopy is on and will make for a halfway credible impression of aeronautical busyness (is that even a word - do I even English?)! Anyways. For tomorrow I'll have some more on the rest of the plane especially the props (I made a nice mistake on these which will be good for you guys to see I think).

Cheers

• Like 3

Howdy fellas!

Here's the latest state of affairs. Built is complete so far. The wingroots need a tiny bit of putty (not so easy to get them aligned properly).

Check it out.

dsc04110.jpg

dsc04114.jpg

dsc04115.jpg

Sorry for the glare. Sun is low right now.

As for my little mistake I talked about yesterday. I glued the individual prop blades in wrong. They fit nice and snugly into slots on the back plate. But I didn't realize the round adjustment thingies on the blades have to be outside of the spinner. When I wanted to add the spinners the openings wouldn't fit over the blades so I had to widen the holes in the spinner to make it fit. Now the diameter of the props is a bit too small.:angry: But good for you, another thing to keep in mind when building this kit.

dsc04112.jpg

• Like 4

This is progressing beautifully. If I might make a suggestion, as very thin wash of Burnt Siena over the crew's faces and hands will pop the detail out very nicely.

Martian

• Like 3

I have just found this thread. I'm a big fan of Huma kits.

Also of prototypes and experimental, especially ones that see service.

This is the first time I have seen this one being built and you're doing a lovely job.

One thing that really catches the eye here is the inverted 'pear shape' of the 'C' series cowls. The DB 606 engines were vast! Two inverted V 12's more or less welded together.  If only they had been refined; what a potential power unit.

The undercarriage was quite advanced, but also troublesome, so don't worry about it not fitting well; that applied to the real thing too :D !

This is a great link, I guess you will know it, but the quality of photos and information is very good:

http://www.flugzeug-lorenz.de/index.php?id=109

Will this model be made as the V 11 or 12?; I'm confused regarding when the C series started :confused:.

Great stuff!

:goodjob: 

TonyT

PS: Until now I thought I was the only person in the world with a Toffifee gold tray on my bench :D !

T

Edited by TonyTiger66
Golden trays for parts
  • Like 1

Yes, I've also had a look at this link before and once bought an issue of FlugzeugClassic (German aviation magazin) with an article and some pics on the 288.

The model kit is said to depict the V 103, one of the prototypes some pictures can be found of on the web.

The Toffifee tray was actually my wife's idea. It's quite handy as a palette and once it's used up you just throw it away. :D

Edited by Cheezburger

Some updates on the 288. Canopy has been masked and installed, wing root puttied and cleaned up. Was able to lay down the black PUR primer (Vallejo) this evening.

If it were a night bomber, I'd be done now :D

dsc04116.jpg

I decided to leave the tear drop shaped side windows off for now, since I found them too hard to maks properly. So some sponge came in handy to stuff the holes.

dsc04117.jpg

A little close up of the wing root. Could have been better.

dsc04119.jpg

And to play us out (what does that mean to play out?), a little sneak peek of my Airfix Blenheim IV ready for detail painting.

dsc04120.jpg

• Like 4

This sunday afternoon saw the completion of most of the paint job on the 288. There was minor damage on the undersurfaces from pulling off the masking tape, that will be touched up. Apart from this I am quite happy with the result. Take a look!

dsc04139.jpg

dsc04140.jpg

dsc04141.jpg

The camouflage pattern is based on HUMA's recommendation though I am sure it is conjured up of thin air. Little pictures exist so noone can say for sure how the pattern looked in real life.

• Like 3

On 27/10/2016 at 18:18, Cheezburger said:

what does that mean to play out?

Looking very good, and aggressive!

I think 'play us out' was used in television / radio programmes for the last few minutes. The music would fill the end of the programme. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, CedB said:

Looking very good, and aggressive!

I think 'play us out' was used in television / radio programmes for the last few minutes. The music would fill the end of the programme. 

Thanks, CedB.

I think what looks a bit harsh with the contrasts will be toned down by weathering, decals and clear coats.

• Like 1

A week has passed on this build. So it's time for a little update. It's more or less done. Missing the props and the wheels which I still have to paint and plug into their respective positions. oil paint pin wash decals and final flat varnish have been applied, masking removed. Last step would be adding a little weathering with pastel/pigments. Check it out.

dsc04144.jpg

dsc04146.jpg

dsc04147.jpg

dsc04148.jpg

dsc04149.jpg

• Like 7