Weld Lines – Copper Strip (various scales)

Mike

Weld Lines – Copper Strip

1:72, 1:48, 1:35, 1:16 Mirage Hobby

Many models have left their moulds with welding beads missing or badly represented, and to a great extent this has gone unnoticed by most of us, and they have previously been a pain to recreate with rolls of putty pushed and tooled into place.  Mirage Hobby have recognised this and have released this set of four sizes of copper weld lines in various scales, although they can be used at any scale to recreate lines of varying widths.  Each one arrives in a card box, with a roll of copper in a ziplok bag held within, safe from harm.

The copper is soft, so malleable and easy to cut, which should make it easy to use.  The rough profile of the strip is half-round, but this has been flattened slightly by the tooling process, which has impressed a "stack of coins" pattern over the surface, which is typical of finished welds.  The back is flat, so lends itself to joints between panels, but it can be set at an angle to be used as a quadrant weld with just a little care.  Below is a table of what you will find in each box.

Product Code: 224001 Scale: 1:24, 1:16 Length: 150cm  Width: 1.25mm

224001.jpg

bin.jpg 

Product Code: 235002 Scale: 1:35 Length: 150cm Width: 0.95mm

235002.jpg

bin.jpg 

Product Code: 248002 Scale: 1:48 Length: 100cm Width: 0.56mm

248002.jpg

bin.jpg 

Product Code: 272001 Scale: 1:72 :Length: 100cm Width: 0.49mm

272001.jpg

bin.jpg 

Conclusion

If you enjoy scratch-building, or just enjoy adding bits and bobs to your builds, these four gauges of weld bead will come in very useful.  I wouldn't read too much into the scale figures, as even at the larger scales you will find different widths of bead, so a full set will come in useful unless you're only going to model in 1:72.  When I get a moment, I'll be using some on my 1:16 RC Jagdpanther, which is woefully lacking in weld details.

Very highly recommended.

Review sample courtesy of

logo.gif

• Like 4

Just went through the exact putty process you mentioned Mike, on the outside of the bf 109 supercharger intake. A short strip of this would have been perfect.

1/32 not shown, undoubtedly something could be used from one of the other scales.

Robert

Edited by Ceithearn

I'd use the required width as your guide Robert, but as a rough estimate, 1:35 and 1:32 are as near as makes no difference at this sort of size, so I'd have started by looking at that set :)

That also brings to the fore the fact that welding is used in almost every vehicle's construction, so it's not just limited to AFVs.  I popped it in this sub-forum purely due to fact that AFV modellers are probably the biggest market :smartass:

Concur on scale Mike.

Great product to review and thank you for posting. Lots of tips on how to make your own with sprue, putty, or styrene on various posts. However, for consistency and/or using your time elsewhere this would be terrific product.

R.

• 4 years later...
  • 1 month later...
On 17/10/2016 at 13:43, Mike said:

Weld Lines – Copper Strip

1:72, 1:48, 1:35, 1:16 Mirage Hobby

Many models have left their moulds with welding beads missing or badly represented, and to a great extent this has gone unnoticed by most of us, and they have previously been a pain to recreate with rolls of putty pushed and tooled into place.  Mirage Hobby have recognised this and have released this set of four sizes of copper weld lines in various scales, although they can be used at any scale to recreate lines of varying widths.  Each one arrives in a card box, with a roll of copper in a ziplok bag held within, safe from harm.

The copper is soft, so malleable and easy to cut, which should make it easy to use.  The rough profile of the strip is half-round, but this has been flattened slightly by the tooling process, which has impressed a "stack of coins" pattern over the surface, which is typical of finished welds.  The back is flat, so lends itself to joints between panels, but it can be set at an angle to be used as a quadrant weld with just a little care.  Below is a table of what you will find in each box.

Product Code: 224001 Scale: 1:24, 1:16 Length: 150cm  Width: 1.25mm

224001.jpg

bin.jpg 

Product Code: 235002 Scale: 1:35 Length: 150cm Width: 0.95mm

235002.jpg

bin.jpg 

Product Code: 248002 Scale: 1:48 Length: 100cm Width: 0.56mm

248002.jpg

bin.jpg 

Product Code: 272001 Scale: 1:72 :Length: 100cm Width: 0.49mm

272001.jpg

bin.jpg 

Conclusion

If you enjoy scratch-building, or just enjoy adding bits and bobs to your builds, these four gauges of weld bead will come in very useful.  I wouldn't read too much into the scale figures, as even at the larger scales you will find different widths of bead, so a full set will come in useful unless you're only going to model in 1:72.  When I get a moment, I'll be using some on my 1:16 RC Jagdpanther, which is woefully lacking in weld details.

Very highly recommended.

Review sample courtesy of

logo.gif

I would really like to get my hands on the 1/24/1/16 lines, but they seem to have been out of stock for a while? Any idea when they will be available again????

• 3 weeks later...

I'm having real difficulty trying obtain these? I need the 1/16 set but its been out of stock at Mirage hobbies for forever and ever Amen.  I found 2 sets on ebay from an outfit called cocktail distribution? I ordered the 2 sets they had in 1/16, but they never arrived and although I was refunded it should have been trackable via their courier........but wasn't? Anybody have a 1/16 set to spare?