The Big Red Lo

krow113

17 hours ago, sharknose156 said:

interesting...  

but doesn't Alclad have a special clear gloss for chrome ?

Not that I know of.

All I have done is skip the gloss black step , by the application of gloss clear to the black kit plastic instead. I'll be applying the chrome today.

I did 4 pieces , one with the clear application only , and all four pieces look identical.

42 chromed edges. :

IMG_1342.jpg

It can be done this way , some f black later today to prove.

Some overspray as well , not to worry , and masking helped on 2 of the parts - the cylinder base's:

Edited by krow113
  • Like 2

@krow113 KROW  just to be sure i understood, you apply alclad ll clear directly onto the plastic ( black ),

then apply the alclad chrome on top - a very thin layer i suppose - and so this has an effect of shinning through like real chrome ?

i guess instead of dulling or blackening the chrome depending on the angle you look at it, which i have experienced. 

after you apply the Chrome layer, do you protect the alclad chrome with anything ?

do you buff it even very slightly to optimize shine ?

the above edge looks very convincing...

by the way lets talk chains, did we not exchange a message about that ? i can't get used to this new website and find all private conversations

Edited by sharknose156
  • Like 1

Yes exactly  , clear onto the kit black plastic  , then chrome on the clear.

Works a treat.

I dont touch the chrome so no protective clear , I have found it tends to 'frost' the chrome. No buffing either, I dont believe Alclad would survive that...

I cant find our prior conversation either. No worries . Ask whatever you like on this thread , or start a chain thread in the discussion forum that would be better, there should be a chroming thread starting there soon I think...

So I went ahead and applied the f black primer surfacer. I think this gives a better representation of the finish on Harley's , sure they start out all shiny but the black powder coat dulls quickly. Harley's paint is kinda wrinkly too , the primer gives that effect slightly.

Chrome edged forest:

IMG_1373.jpg

The 'Hero Method" is nothing more than confidence with the airbrush ,blowing paint one way and then the other , not too tough to figure out. A real good exercise in paint application , and the parts here can be done that way.  The parts here were all done with minimal masking as shown in my last post. Some of the head parts were a little tricky but by looking at the parts , I was able to use the sharp edge of a business card to mask the chrome temporarily and get the black in behind:

Edited by krow113
  • Like 3

kpnuts - Thank you.

Well ,almost three days without the internet , how did I make it through......

All the models on the go have multiple layers of paint to let cure , so little ab action. Did do some work on the parts of a few ....

And the engine here starts to get some hardware and you can see the way the chrome hardware sets off the f black paint of the engine case'.

IMG_1386.jpg

P/E looks great:

IMG_1384.jpg

These nuts and bolts and p/e were applied with thinned Micro Kristal Klear , i'm gonna keep on with that method of attachment, sick of piles of cyano refusing to dry and not working when it needs to, sick of it.

And yes I saw the crooked one and fixed it.

I'll put in 3 hours more here.

Edited by krow113
  • Like 1

On ‎2016‎-‎11‎-‎30 at 9:13 AM, CrazyCrank said:

Exactly the color I want to paint mine: Candy orange, love it :)

|I dont think so CC! Thats more of a denim or frosty orange , this is the color you are thinking of:

16_FLSTFB_R_INT_amber_whiskey.jpg

...or even uglier in silver/white:

HARLEY_DAVIDSON_Fat_Boy_Lo_8854_1.jpg

...and VERY nice in the color I am heading for:

redlo.jpg

Edited by krow113
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, krow113 said:

|I dont think so CC! Thats more of a denim or frosty orange , this is the color you are thinking of:

olo_zpsrdspu6f5.jpg

It looks like red candy !  love it too ("pas mal !", as we say in french)

Edited by CrazyCrank
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

A little time spent here. Cylinder parts fitted with no glue , no need for it:

IMG_1404.jpg

And the heads glued up and clamped:

IMG_1412.jpg

A 'stack line ' has developed , we'll see about fixing this when the assy is dried:

IMG_1408.jpg

1.5 hours.

Edited by krow113
  • Like 1

A little wet sand and some more clear. Switching up to Alclad gloss clear . Setting the ab and air pressure allowed continous spray and good build up , the parts had dried for over a week so another heavy coat was due.Smoothing out nicely:

IMG_1416.jpg

Edited by krow113
  • Like 2

Thanks BillyD.

The stack LINES I should have said! 

These areas on the heads would be the landings ,cnc machined , in the head casting and would be a flat plane. We'll hafta fit the exhaust port and the intake manifold and see what is visible , I think it looks badder than it is because of the black/chrome colors. Some silver self adhesive sign vinyl is what I'm thinking will take care of it , or some thin plastic card to conceal the lines.

• Like 1

Easy boy's!

Thanks for your comments and interest.

Re-arranging the entire shop today to accommodate the new arrival , here's another teaser:

IMG_0441.jpg

The lathe came with a good amount of tooling as well , so I wont have to spend a lot of time and money getting going with it.

Edited by krow113
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Ran out of clear and gloss black!

So I did the boring and unworthy of pics computer work , some shapes to cover the ip marks in the swingarm brackets and to cover the stack lines on the head assy's.

I was going to do wheel masks for the painted rim centers , but looking at the work seems to not be as workable as just taping them off!

I would like to get a lot of the sub assy's done then do a massive full on assy of the whole kit, showing how a Softail is assembled in a m/c shop , way diff than Tamiya show the assy. You could never manuever the swingarm,wheel , brakes etc in one go!

Also some shop tricks to help solve anxiety probs when working with custom painted parts and chrome parts.

Cheesy gratuitous paint work pic:

IMG_2480.jpg

Edited by krow113
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

After 2 1/2 months I finally made it to a hobby shop, stocking up on Alclad clears and gloss blacks.

After the Gotha fuse is joined I will be hitting this with an eye to finishing.

Stay tuned.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...