1:48 Airfix English Electric Lightning F3

The quality of the Airfix 48 scale Lightnings is well known. I have a dream to build one of each Lightning mark in 1/48 - I have all the base kits, we'll see whether it happens.

Anyway, made a start by obtaining a resin cockpit set to give the office a little more oomph. I'll model the canopy open on this one.

IMG_3477%20Large_zps1l0ocqf6-XL.jpg

IMG_3479%20Large_zpssmi3k9on-XL.jpg

Quite a nice bang seat:

IMG_3486%20Large_zpstlae12so-XL.jpg

IMG_3868%20Large_zps41vi7u5v-XL.jpg

Cockpit fit seems OK at the dry fit stage:

IMG_3478%20Large_zpstgq1wn36-XL.jpg

IMG_3482%20Large_zpsgdzesxpj-XL.jpg

In the meantime I have been working on other sub assemblies. The wing tips need a little attention for sink marks:

IMG_3483%20Large_zpsirjz6yty-XL.jpg

But that shouldn't be too hard to deal with.

Edited by propforward
Replaced photobucket links with smugmug links
  • Like 5

I'm not sure yet. :D

Probably a camo one though. Or else a shiny metal one.

I really want to do a 56 squadron checker fin - but want to practice alclad metal finishes on a different version first. I was just working on a 92 squadron F2 and I really, really badly messed up the metal finishes. I'll finish it, but it's not a very good model. 

So for this one, I think the metal underside with grey and green camo upper surfaces.

1 hour ago, exdraken said:

looking good!

which company's cockpit is it?

fit looks very good to me :)

Thank you. It's the True Details kit - which I got CHEEP! Technically an F6 cockpit set - but I'm just going to horrify everyone and use it anyway, because it busies things up nicely. I have seen this set get bad press, but honestly it seems to fit just fine. I didn't have any trouble getting it in.

3 hours ago, Breaker said:

Would it be worth painting the cockpit up before a wash? Get all the basic detail in and finished then give it a pin wash? 

Definitely - I'm going to try that approach. See if I can make a few things stand out a little better. Thanks for the tip!

• 4 months later...

Well this one has been causing some heartache. The cockpit has not gone at all well, I've repainted it so many times that some areas look all gloopy.

IMG_0127%20Large_zps2tbyqi5c-XL.jpg

So I may end up closing the canopy up, but so be it. This is what it is, and I'm going to press on. The next one will be better, and maybe even good enough for open canopy, but sometimes you just have to go with what you've got, and I'm keen to turn this into XP696 with white spine and fin, and have a go with some acrylic metallics.

Edited by propforward
  • Like 4

• 2 months later...

Work continues - oh so slowly. I'm having a difficult time with this one - lots of fitting issues, which is not typical for an Airfix 1:48 Lightning. So I must be doing a poor job. However, persevering with it - and gradually moving it along. Not going to give up, but spending more time on my other two in progress subjects, spending a few moments here and there on this one fixing fit and blending contours while paint and glue dry on the other two.

IMG_4506%20Large_zpsmt8vr6o9-XL.jpg

Edited by propforward
  • Like 1

Once a model Lightning starts to look like an arrow, you're really well and truly on the road to success. I think.

IMG_4518%20Large_zpsxpkyc8yl-XL.jpg

Edited by propforward
  • Like 3

I agree - I do like the nice straight edge of the early mark wings.

Thank you for your comments, I really appreciate them, especially given the wonderful job you are doing on your F6. This one is giving me a hard time. I blame the modeller, frankly. :D Still, I'll get it there yet. So to speak.

Edited by propforward

I like Lightnings too, don't know why I havn't spotted this one before. I had fit problems with my first Airfix 1/48 Lightning many years ago and the wings were so twisted they looked like propeller blades!

John

• 3 weeks later...

I wouldn't get too hung up on the cockpit. I have built about 5 of these kits over the years and once the bang seat is in, all the extra work in the pit is hardly visible anyway. I once went to town using a Neomega set and then added wires, latches and stuff all over the place from references and then in the darkness of the narrow pit, it was all lost forever short of someone having eyesight like a bird of prey just happening to take an interest and a peep inside!

Just do a nice job on the seat itself and that's the main thing with this kit in that particular area.

Good luck with the rest of the build.

Gary

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I'm starting to wrestle this Lightning into submission. I've managed to recover the cockpit enough that I can look forward to finishing this up. It won't be the best Lightning by a long way, but I think it'll look OK - and I'd rather finish it than put it on the shelf of doom.

I also started throwing together an F6 to keep it company - and the F6 is going together a LOT more easily than this F3.

IMG_4589%20Large_zpsemh1nihw-XL.jpg

IMG_4591%20Large_zpsfawftpig-XL.jpg

IMG_4592%20Large_zpsx9fpptuu-XL.jpg

IMG_4595%20Large_zps4yxxs7pi-XL.jpg

IMG_4596%20Large_zpstl1hlsyg-XL.jpg

Edited by propforward
  • Like 5

On 6/7/2017 at 8:24 AM, Sid de Koning said:

I'll be watching along.. I think my next model may just be a F.3 as well... that checkered one from 56sqd..

My favourite Lightning scheme!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all, newbie to BM here. Im about to start my first british jet build. If i have a 3rd party site will probably do a build thread. Ive done plenty of spitfires and other ww2 aircraft under the belt. Plenty of US jets and props too.

If you dont mind Im going to follow these builds because im planning an F.3 from #111 squadron in the natural metal with the black spine and rudder. Finishing up a Martlet v now then the lightning and eventually an Fg 1 phantom to follow that. The Phantom will probably be Triple 111, but im divided. I may go with the RN 892 birds. So time will tell.

Again Once i get a 3rd party account i will have some photo's up. If i may i do have a question about lightnings. Were they truly natural metal finishes or did the RAF paint them aluminum or silver at any point for corrosion control like the USAF did with the century series aircraft. 

Thank you 

Dennis

• Like 2

Hi Dennis,

By all means follow along. Not that I am a particularly good modeller, but I'm happy to show you what I know. I just started spraying Alclad II on the Lightning today, so I'll have some pics soon.

The Lightnings were a true natural metal finish - the RAF did not spray them with the high speed silver like they did Meteors (for example).

I look forward to seeing your Lightning too!

• Like 1

Thanks prop, i may seek modelling tips. But more likely i may ask about the lightning. If i cant find certain things out via the net. You or someone here on BM may have the answer. As in the natural metal question. There are no actual examples of the lightning in this part of the US. Possibly not any here at all. Maybe in canada ... not sure. So the net or actual people who may have seen one up close are my best info. Again thanks

Dennis

There are a few in the US - one in Arizona, and there's one in the north east somewhere. I'll have to look it up. Probably one in Canada as well.

More importantly - there is a T5 (XS422) undergoing restoration to flying condition at Stennis in Mississipi. There is hope that a flying license may be granted, so we may get to see an airworthy example stateside. I'll be taking a trip south to see it, that's for sure!

http://www.lightning422supporters.co.uk/

• Like 1